Dumfries & Galloway Site Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo All

Fancy a long weekend within easy commuting of RSPB Mersehead an absolute jewel of a nature reserve (We usually stay at Kipford not cheap) Anyone have any recommendations please.

Stewart

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Stewart

I live in Dumfries so hopefully be able to help. There is a lovely little site at Rockcliffe called Castle point not sure how long it is open for but not to far for you. If you are in the caravan club there is a cl in New Abbey about 5 miles away has couple of pubs and shop. I dont know which one you use at Kippford as there is 2 there. Also might not be your cup of tea but the closest site will be lighthouse leisure in Southerness must only be a cpl of miles away, its next to the big parkdean site but is a lot smaller and has all its own facilities with a small bar and swimming pool id imagine it will be really quiet after school holidays (this week and next). I am sure there are more cl/cs sites near by but cant think of top of my head.

Dont know if your into wild camping but if you are i could give you some good spots.

Gerry

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi Gerry in the past we've stayed at the Kipford Holiday Park, nice but not really our scene, havent tried wild camping yet, missus not keen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Try doon holiday park in kippford i dont think it has a website but here is the number it only has about 20 pitches and some statics and as far as im aware its open all year.

01556 620259

If she changes her mind about the wild camping let me know very safe places.

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Hi I can recomend this one we stayed here last year in our fiver easy access just off main road - basic but good site

Mossband caravan park, phone 01387 760505

its not far from Kipford, Alan & Chirs are the owners they are very freindly,

tell them Helen and Tony recomended you

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Stewart

I live in Dumfries so hopefully be able to help. There is a lovely little site at Rockcliffe called Castle point not sure how long it is open for but not to far for you. If you are in the caravan club there is a cl in New Abbey about 5 miles away has couple of pubs and shop. I dont know which one you use at Kippford as there is 2 there. Also might not be your cup of tea but the closest site will be lighthouse leisure in Southerness must only be a cpl of miles away, its next to the big parkdean site but is a lot smaller and has all its own facilities with a small bar and swimming pool id imagine it will be really quiet after school holidays (this week and next). I am sure there are more cl/cs sites near by but cant think of top of my head.

Dont know if your into wild camping but if you are i could give you some good spots.

Gerry

We stayed at Southerness at the Parkdean site at Easter. It had an excellent modern new indoor pool, the kids loved it, and out of term time I imagine will be pretty quiet.
I had a walk around the site next door at Lighthouse Leisure, the site was very run down, the pool was smaller than some jacuzzis, and the bar was unwelcoming.
Pitch fees were similar on both sites.

It's well located for getting out and about, New Abbey is a nice little town just a few miles away and there are lovely walks along the beach just 100 m from both these sites.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
agree about parkdeen being the better park but it shuts after this week so thats why i didnt mention it as an option lighthouse leisure isn't great but its the closes one to mearsehead if i had a choice id stay at the cl in new abbey its on abrigland estate or the doon site kippford

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
An update, just back from D & G, first 2 nights we stayed at an old favourite a Cl just north of New Galloway called "The Brough" a superb site set in amazing scenery. Last night we stayed at another stunner, "Landis Farm" near New Abbey.

No hesitation in recommending either for anyone visiting the area.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
(mumble mode) That must be near where that "Dark Sky" forest is (mumble mode off)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back