Dumfries & Galloway In July?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by icantremember, May 20, 2015.

1. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We have toured most of Scotland in the past but never got to D & G so thought we would spend a couple of weeks exploring the area this year.

The decision has been made to go first week in July and wondered if anyone could please advise on any particular sights or places we should not miss.

On previous visits over the border we have usually been earlier or later in the year and have not suffered too much with little beasties .... is it likely that D & G in July will necessitate us travelling with full suits of armour for protection???
    [​IMG]

2. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

All depends on weather conditions, temperature, specific location, vegetation, etc, etc. Mornings and evenings tend to be worst as they hate direct sunlight, wind speed over a gentle breeze, etc.
    Avon Skin So Soft is, generally, highly recommended but others will say it doesn't work for them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Glentrool Forest = Midgies/Cleggs the size of Chinooks.............Take DEET 100:D
    But still a wonderful place to visit at any time of the year!(y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. davanne

davanne Funster

I agree forest /loch areas you will encounter midges but the coastal areas tend to be ok.
    My father retired to Newton Stewart almost 40 years ago so have spent a lot of time up there it's a wonderful part of the country with beautiful scenery and is so often missed by people driving north.
    My neighbours had a few unexpected days free recently and wanted to go somewhere different so I reccomended the area ...they loved it so much they are going back again in a few weeks.
    It's a hidden gem and never crowded.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Daveg

Daveg Funster

The Galloway forest park was the first designated dark sky park in the UK. We wild camped there last September. Stunning skies.

BTW D&G is huge and varied. The south coast round Wigton and Gatehouse of Fleet is famously pretty.

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bertie Bassett

Agreed.....Best star gazing anywhere in UK. Stunning on a cold crisp and clear winter night!(y)

• Like Like x 3
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 5
  8. andy63

andy63 Funster

One of my favourite spots is out on the mull. Lovely little spot to wild.. the farmer may call on an evening to collect a couple of pounds...and I enjoy the site at Brighouse bay... all very handy for me and geared towards my sea fishing , but worth a visit for the scenery and walks even if fishing isn't your bag.. Image0172.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  9. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

Going in July, it doesn't get dark on the west coast in July.:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. WillH

WillH Funster

It does get dark in July, though not until very late. I live in D&G and after 40 years still think it's a beautiful place. Galloway Forest Park is nice, plenty of wild camping if that's your thing. We live on the peninsular at the western end of the region, very quiet, unspoilt, lovely beaches, I could go on. If you get to Stranraer for shopping, parking at Tesco is dreadful, Morrisons isn't much better but the Lidl is good. Plenty parking on the seafront at the breastworks car park, and all parking is free.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Bertie Bassett

Thanks for the reminders and pointers Will. We must get back...........and soon!(y)
    As birders any time of the year is good but it's the Winter that is best for us particularly around Stranraer harbour and Mersehead....We just love it.:)

• Like Like x 3
  12. lorger

lorger Funster

You've made a good choice D & G is a beautiful place all year round, we live in Dumfries so if there's anything specific you like or want to know ask away. What's your interests is it museums, bird watching, hill walking we have it all. Also are you looking to stay in large sites or CL style sites or even wildcamping spots just ask and I'll do my best to help. Also around the end of June beginning of July we have a lot of galas around the Dumfries area.

• Like Like x 3
  13. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

CCC cl at Newton Farm lovely beachside 5 van site (just water etc)
    A75
    Castle Douglas DG7 2ER, UK
    54.852830, -4.252280
    upload_2015-5-20_16-49-15.jpeg
    upload_2015-5-20_16-51-51.jpeg
    upload_2015-5-20_16-52-13.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  14. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

We often go to portpatrick and stay at Galloway point £20 per night inc EHU. Great views to dunskey castle over the sea toward Ireland. Lovely coastal walk down to the village with a couple of great pubs, the ship is our favourite and Campbell's restaurant is worth a visit if you like seafood and want to treat yourself.

• Like Like x 5
  15. icantremember

icantremember Funster

That's a beautiful looking spot ... I haven't done any fishing for many years but seeing that I think I may dig out some tackle to take along.

• Like Like x 1
  16. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Thanks for all the info .... we certainly aim to get to Stranraer and will be wilding as much as possible.

17. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Thanks BB ... we shall have our scopes & bins with us for a bit birding.

18. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Many thanks, we certainly like birding and walking (not as far as we used to though). Mainly we shall be looking to wild camp as much as possible.

19. andy63

andy63 Funster

hi brian , if you decide to have a look, its right out on the mull, the turn off is through a gate on the right where the land narrows just before the road starts the climb to the lighthouse and a little beach can be seen down on the left.. there are also parking spots down there but gets busy on that side at times so I prefer the little field on the right... a setepish path takes you down to where you see the van parked and as long as weather is ok and your van isn't huge should be fine..
    ta andy

20. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Thanks Andy, the m/h is 7.5m and we shall have the toad with us but that can soon be unhitched if necessary.

• Like Like x 1