Dumfries and Galloway (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We're leaving wales tomorrow and heading north to tour the Dumfries and Galloway aria of bonnie Scotland I know there will be more opportunities to wild camp.
And meet up with family it looks like a butiful aria with lock's and Glen's to hide away in
Bill

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Fancy that one ourselves, just a bit worried about the dreaded midges! Any idea if it's a problem in that area at this time of year?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Defo midgy time, try to camp away from water and pine trees, they seem to congregate in these places.......
Otherwise enjoy your time here, it's a brill area.
Cheers, Dave(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Fancy that one ourselves, just a bit worried about the dreaded midges! Any idea if it's a problem in that area at this time of year?
I don't remember D&G being a bad place for midges, not compared to the west coast north of Glasgow.

But if there are midges, just find a pub. There are more of them than there are on the west coast. :) C**p beer, but you can't have everything.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I'm at Isle of Whithorn (D & G) for a few week, and certainly on the coast here there are no midges (I normally get well bitten by them which Swmbo loves as they then leave her alone). Been coming for 6 years at all different times of year and think the midges just don't like seawater!

@Willdbill - on harbour here wilding is common place, there is a toilet and water (no grey disposal though). If you want to know where etc just pm me. Pub is within 50 yards and a decent tea room open 10 to 4 every day

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Bill you'll have some of the best wild camping area's of Great Britain at your disposal. I'd have a wee look at "The Raiders Road" if I was you. The signs say No Camping but me thinks that's really aimed at the caravan fraternity & I've never been asked to move on. The "Otter Pool" on that road has a little toilet block, no showers but ideal for using the loo & getting water. At the northern edge, you've got Loch Doon, which has a campsite of its own, but wild camping is still easy at the southern edge of the loch. The little forest drive from Loch Doon to Stinchar falls is full of beautiful spots to camp in & at Stinchar falls themselves the huge car park is beautiful. If the midge's are being a pest, there's a cracking little car park very near to Southerness caravan park, its right at sea level so the dreaded midge's are not a problem. The traffic is rarely ever heavy & parking is pretty much free, even in towns like Castle Douglas. If you use CLs then Mollance farm on the edge of Castle Douglas is really nice, its cheap, has electricity, toilets & showers & the couple who run it a really nice, not the regimented types. Glen Trool might be midge central but is a very pretty place with wild camping spots by the shed load.
If you need any advice on where to camp PM me & I'll give you some help.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Additional thought - if anyone is thinking about coming to Isle of Whithorn this weekend (6 & 7 August) then they won't be able to camp on the harbour as its the annual Isle gala weekend so the parking area is taken over by stands etc..

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Ambulance kid has gave you some good ideas but if you need any help feel free to ask and I'll give you some ideas

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Ambulance kid has gave you some good ideas but if you need any help feel free to ask and I'll give you some ideas

I couldn't remember the name of the wee car park near Southerness & I know that you knew its name. Its a real gem of a place, I've never had any trouble wilding there & the views over to Cumbria are wonderful.

Lynny

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Bellerby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi all! I am heading up to the coastal road of D&G in just over a weeks time. I am new to this so looking for some good tips for quiet spots with good walking for a motorhome & dogs. Have looked at some of the older threads that recommend New Abbey and Dalbeattie Forest as well as Powilloment- are these sites still okay for overnight parking? Cheers

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Hi all! I am heading up to the coastal road of D&G in just over a weeks time. I am new to this so looking for some good tips for quiet spots with good walking for a motorhome & dogs. Have looked at some of the older threads that recommend New Abbey and Dalbeattie Forest as well as Powilloment- are these sites still okay for overnight parking? Cheers

Yes those area's are usually fine to wild camp at. There are so many spots to camp at that you'll be spoilt for choice. If you need further help, feel free to ask. Oh & welcome aboard.

Lynny

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Bellerby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Yes those area's are usually fine to wild camp at. There are so many spots to camp at that you'll be spoilt for choice. If you need further help, feel free to ask. Oh & welcome aboard.

Thanks. Can you recommend anywhere else further along that coast?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
54°48'20.50"N 4°57'41.16"W

This is one I can recommend from personal recent experience Bill.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
If you fancy going inland a bit, try "The Raiders Road". Its in a beautiful neck of the woods, wonderful scenery & there's a little toilet block at "The Otter Pool". On the coast itself, you could try the Mull of Galloway. There's a cracking Caravan Club site called New England Bay there. Castle Douglas is really nice for a stroll around, parking is like most of the rest of the area in that its free. Kircudbright is similarly blessed, well worth a nosy around & following the coast will present hundreds of wild camping spots, take your pick. The Scottish Airshow is on this coming weekend in Ayr & Prestwick. There's an evening "light" airshow on at Ayr beach on friday evening, then the rest of the show is spread over saturday & sunday. You'll be spoilt for choice. The Blackburn carpark in Ayr is right on the beach where most of the show takes place & is good for wilding, but you'd need to be in early on friday.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Lynny - you'll have noticed your name under your avatar is in green where most are in blue - this means you haven't fully joined Fun so you'll now have run out of free posts on here - you're obviously going to make a lot of friends on Fun so can I (very nicely :) ) suggest that you now subscribe - it'll be the best £15 you've ever spent! and you'll get access to so much more than as a 'guest' poster.
Oh, and if I haven't said it before - Welcome!!! from another Yorkshire lass (currently exiled to Cornwall & all roads north)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Was wondering about going that far along - would be a shame not to - looks wonderful thanks!
It is nice, had our coffee there on Saturday. More places further south on the same road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back