Duck tape - how many things held together in the MH? (1 Viewer)

Kensmith314

Free Member
Mar 18, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Almost a year
So far, after a year of ownership I have:
One shelf completely held up by duck tape.
The original little plastic shelf holders proved no match for a halogen oven and bumpy roads.
The duck tape is having no such problems.

Rear corner trim was nudged by another vehicle and there were (and are) two small splits in adjacent trim panels. Estimate to replace was approximately £400+.
Two little pieces of white duck tape later and you can only see a problem if you search hard.

One Fiamma F45S awning case held closed at the centre.
After a recent trip to the Italian lakes the awning closed perfectly at both ends but had a 1 cm gap in the middle. No idea why. A smallish piece of duck tape and I now have no gap.
I just need to remember to remove it before winding out the awning.

What about you?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The entire rear of the Rust2Rome Mercedes is now held together by duck (what else?) tape after yesterday's little argument with a VW

Reactions: Jim

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The aerial for my radio is attached to the offside wing mirror rather neatly. (we don't use it...... the aerial I mean)
And had to fit a new leisure battery but haven't got the right sprocket set to take the chair off as we have an almighty sized French battery now so to cover the terminals with a bit of plastic there is some .......duck tape to keep it in place

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
The driver's door on ours squeaked. A little bit of duck tape around the prong that goes into the lock and all gone. We roll the carpets up in the summer and use duck tape around the roll.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The best use yet for duct tape ?............

girls-dressed-in-duct-tape-present-bmw-m6-on-forgiato-wheels_1.jpg

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Nothing held togerth with duct tape on my MH I use epoxy glues and stecaflex
Body filer and fiber glass lots of it over the last few year's.
Bill

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

We may laugh but my brother has built a complete business empire around this tape!

The rear light box on our 'van is held together with black duct tape and has been for the last 8 years :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We may laugh but my brother has built a complete business empire around this tape!

The rear light box on our 'van is held together with black duct tape and has been for the last 8 years :)

Wow ! you mean there are lots more ladies dressing like That ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Door mirror outer case is held together with it, in black of course. (y)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

10/10 for actually calling it Duct Tape.... and 1.2M/10 for the best 'use of ' picture ever... new screensaver right there. Will see if I can MrsG up for that , assuming I can find a roll long enough

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
It is indeed duct tape (duck:LOL:)
I think it was originally used to seal large air con. ducting joints to make them air tight
The music industry would grind to a halt with out it, they call it gaffa tape, no idea why
Aviation industry use an aluminium version call speed tape, it will stay attached to a high speed jet for weeks
I have an aquaintance that swears that he has built a van engine out of nothing more than a broom shaft and speed tape :rolleyes:

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
When I worked at Heathrow an EL AL Jumbo came in with the aviation version of tape apparently holding the nose section on.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Don't think there is any on this van, now, oh yes a bit under the mirror guard where the original damage was.
Last van, i managed to rip almost all the back bumper off only a few days into a 2 month trip, duct/gaffer taped it on. Lasted whole of the trip and until insurance and repair place good get it sorted.
Just wish i could find some gold stuff to match this van lol

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
"Gaffers" use ia thinner version to hold cables in place or mark the floor where actors or musicians have to stand for films.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Duck tape - how many things held together in the MH?

2................ The wifes leg`s...... :doh: :rofl:

Sorry......... it was the wine that made me write that... :beerchug::beerchug:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
It is indeed duct tape (duck:LOL:)
I think it was originally used to seal large air con. ducting joints to make them air tight
The music industry would grind to a halt with out it, they call it gaffa tape, no idea why
Aviation industry use an aluminium version call speed tape, it will stay attached to a high speed jet for weeks
I have an aquaintance that swears that he has built a van engine out of nothing more than a broom shaft and speed tape :rolleyes:

Originally named Duck tape, invented by Johnson & Johnson in the U.S.A. during WW2 at the request of the U.S. military & morphed into Duct tape for reasons you state (y)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!

I'd love the job of removing all that tape. No I'm not a cruel person I'm just interested to know if that's a real sun tan or not:hot::whistle:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Well, I feel left out here. Our 19 year old British Swift van has no Duct tape or any other adhesive or tape holding things on that weren't originally held on.
No wonder people moan about British vans and their crap build quality......

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Ditto, 25 year old Dethleffs ;)

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
rear lamp cluster after it met a dwarf wall in France. just passed the MOT as well, no problem.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Wow ! you mean there are lots more ladies dressing like That ?

Oh yes - go to any Fetish Fair on a Sunday afternoon and you will see lots of them!

I'd love the job of removing all that tape. No I'm not a cruel person I'm just interested to know if that's a real sun tan or not:hot::whistle:

I hate to tell you but the chances are the black tape isn't on the skin but probably sewn onto flesh coloured fabric. I've made a few stage costumes in my time and a lot of the "flesh" is actually fabric :) If you look you will see where the tape covers the end of the fabric - most noticeable around the ankles. And yes, I realise you were not looking there - which is why they end the body cling suit where you don't look!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My split shower tray is now into it's 3rd or 4th year of being held together by Duct tape. I keep meaning to replace it but other things go wrong on the van and take the repair budget. That said, It is on the original piece of duct tape and shows no sign of giving up yet.

Originally named Duck tape, invented by Johnson & Johnson in the U.S.A. during WW2 at the request of the U.S. military & morphed into Duct tape for reasons you state (y)

I was always under the impression that Duck tape is a branded version of Duct tape. Duck tape was the original as you say. Other manufacturers produce it under various names including Duct tape, Gaffa tape plus many more with some being industry or use specific. It's a bit like the Sellotape, Bluetack and hoovers thingy.

I just call it Duct tape as it seems to make more sense to me.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just unplugged my tablet from the charger and realised i had repaired the split outer insulation with duct tape right next to the connector. Forgot about that one.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I was always under the impression that Duck tape is a branded version of Duct tape. Duck tape was the original as you say. Other manufacturers produce it under various names including Duct tape, Gaffa tape plus many more with some being industry or use specific. It's a bit like the Sellotape, Bluetack and hoovers thingy.

I just call it Duct tape as it seems to make more sense to me.

The Duck came before the Duct :D @DuxDeluxe

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
I hate to tell you but the chances are the black tape isn't on the skin but probably sewn onto flesh coloured fabric. I've made a few stage costumes in my time and a lot of the "flesh" is actually fabric :) If you look you will see where the tape covers the end of the fabric - most noticeable around the ankles. And yes, I realise you were not looking there - which is why they end the body cling suit where you don't look!

well.......
if they're body suits, then i'd quite like one for me to wear, so hunni, does my bum look good in this?.:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back