LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I purchased a new Rapido V68 Van in the summer based on the Fiat X290 Euro 5 chassis.

According to the 2016 Rapido Van brochure it states: Standard equipment - 'Wing mirrors electric, de-icing'

However, hunt as I might, I haven't yet found a switch to operate the heated / de-icing function!

Our previous van, a Chausson 2010 coachbuilt on an X250 chassis had a switch on the centre console, but not on the new van?

I've looked in the Fiat owners' manual and with reference to the mirrors it indicates the following: Defrosting / demisting - (for versions / markets, where provided) - The mirrors are fitted with resistors that operate when the heated rear window is activated (by pressing the XXX button) [The button is illustrated]

I recognise the button illustration, but I can't find it!! The location indicated for the rear window and mirrors de-icing button is just a blank on my van.

Is there any other way to check if I have heated mirrors? And has anybody else had a similar problem? I assumed heated mirrors were standard on all right-hand drive Fiat Ducatos these days?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Its the heated rear screen button low down on centre of dash. If you dont have it you dont have heated mirrors. My 2016 Ducato Globecar has the button.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Its the heated rear screen button low down on centre of dash. If you dont have it you dont have heated mirrors. My 2016 Ducato Globecar has the button.
Exactly, thanks! It is specified in the Rapido brochure as 'standard equipment', but the button is just a blank on my van! Not sure exactly the best way forward from here?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You can complain to the dealer, but with modern vehicles being canbus Im not sure there's anything they can do other than give you some form of financial compensation.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Exactly, thanks! It is specified in the Rapido brochure as 'standard equipment', but the button is just a blank on my van! Not sure exactly the best way forward from here?

I'd suggest enquiring back at the dealer ?

Even our humble 2010 Autoquest has heated electric mirrors.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I'd suggest enquiring back at the dealer ?

Even our humble 2010 Autoquest has heated electric mirrors.
Yes, our 2010 Chuasson did. And I think - from memory - our 2004 Rapido did!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From what I can tell it should be 2nd button from the left below the radio ...

upload_2017-1-5_11-53-41.png

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Minxy - that's exactly where it should be, but ours has a blank button there, just like the ones to the right of the hazzard light switch in your photo.

What seems more surprising to me is not only that Rapido is supposed to be a 'premium' brand, but it's equipped with all sorts of fancy gizmos such as traction control, hill climbing button, hill decent button and so on and such forth...

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thanks Minxy - that's exactly where it should be, but ours has a blank button there, just like the ones to the right of the hazzard light switch in your photo.

What seems more surprising to me is not only that Rapido is supposed to be a 'premium' brand, but it's equipped with all sorts of fancy gizmos such as traction control, hill climbing button, hill decent button and so on and such forth...

As @jezport states above & I'm inclined to agree, no switch = no heated mirrors, and it's the base vehicle that's specced at the manufacturing factory, irrelevant of the converter.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

Link Removed

This blurb does indeed state '' electric heated mirrors '' - for the V68 - but I think it's the 2017 brochure ?

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
As @jezport states above & I'm inclined to agree, no switch = no heated mirrors, and it's the base vehicle that's specced at the manufacturing factory, irrelevant of the converter.
Well, yes I agree... up to a point. You're quite right that it would be a Fiat fitment, rather than the converter. However, it's a bit odd for the converter to publish a brochure that includes 'wing mirrors electric, de-icing' in a short list of standard equipment on the base vehicle?

Something appears to have gone awry between Fiat and Rapido regarding the specification. Without further investigation, difficult to know whether it's Fiat's fault or Rapido's. Will be interesting to see if I can get to the bottom of it, or whether the VERY small print on the back of the brochure will be invoked?

"Despite the care taken in the production of this catalogue, it cannot be taken as a contractual document". Hmph.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Link Removed

This blurb does indeed state '' electric heated mirrors '' - for the V68 - but I think it's the 2017 brochure ?
Precisely, and it is also included in the 2016 model brochure, which reflects the model we purchased.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you contact Fiat they should be able to look at your base vehicle details and tell you what it has and has not - you'll probably need your vin number.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
If you contact Fiat they should be able to look at your base vehicle details and tell you what it has and has not - you'll probably need your vin number.
Yes, I think that is a good idea Minxy - I reckon that might just be my next step at this stage.

Much appreciated!

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I can confirm my 2017 x290 chassis has the heated mirrors which are activated by the heated rear screen switch second from the left below the radio

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
i've had my van for over 2 years and i never knew i had that option lol :) :) i wondered why it was there, just thought it was pointless as no rear window lol, i will know for the next one :)

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Ring the dealer & ask where they are .
I did more than ring the dealer - I took the van last Thursday!

Needless to say, they were somewhat puzzled, but promised to talk to Rapido. The next day I got a call from the dealer to say they'd had a response from Rapido.

According to the converter, they'd discovered a small batch of X290s that had the heated rear window and mirrors switch missing, but that the mirrors ARE heated and the wiring is in place. So they are sending a new switch to my dealer, who will advise when it arrives and I can get the job done.

So I'm optimistic at this stage it will get sorted, but will post again when the right outcome is achieved. Will probably be a week or so I assume.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back