Ducato wiring help needed (1 Viewer)

Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
I have a Devon Aztec Fiat Panel Van 2011 onwards Euro 5 engine has anyone got an easy way of getting a cable from the battery to underneath for electrics for tow bar. cheers

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I recently fitted a tow bar to aPVC - same model as yours but later version, power was took from rear light cluster so as ignition is turned on power is automatically at the towbar electrics

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
If you want to run power directly from the battery you may find there are some holes under the battery itself so you could easily feed a cable through this way and clip it to the underneath of the van and run to the rear

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lawrence
Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
thanks for reply the kit I have does connect to the light cluster but needs live from battery to bypass electronic system, I have looked all over dash to find a way through never thought of under batter,y thanks

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
thanks for reply the kit I have does connect to the light cluster but needs live from battery to bypass electronic system, I have looked all over dash to find a way through never thought of under batter,y thanks
Battery is under cab floor not in the engine bay

OP
OP
Lawrence
Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
ye the battery is in the cab I am trying to find a way to get the live from there to the rear light clusters/tow bar as I cant find a way inside of the van being careful not to upset the van electronics

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
ye the battery is in the cab I am trying to find a way to get the live from there to the rear light clusters/tow bar as I cant find a way inside of the van being careful not to upset the van electronics
Battery box is longer than the battery so easy to drill a hole if there isn't one already (y)
five-M.jpg

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm suprised that worked without throwing a canbus error.
I asked the question -but the guy who fitted the towbar had a little note book that he followed the wiring from (y)Knew what he was doing and GTeed towbar and wiring for 3 yrs -Just over £200 supplied / fitted inc all wires and single hitch plug (y)Plus he came to me :)
terry

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
I'm suprised that worked without throwing a canbus error.
The towbar came with a small box for the wiring - inside the box was some electrical stuff that allowed the electrics to work without any canbus errors.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
inside the box was some electrical stuff that allowed the electrics to work without any canbus errors.

I am surprised?. I had to bypass the brake light to get it to work (temporarily), and it showed a Light Failure error whenever (Trailer / Toad was connected? (2007 Rapido).

Most Canbus systems require a live feed from Battery. because the wiring is not specified to carry full Trailer load. I noticed that on a 2012 Chevrolet Orlando. The cable size was well below what Pre canbus vehicles have.

Pete

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I've never looked in the battery bay to see if there are any holes but there are definitely holes in the driver side footstep area that could be used if you can get the cable to there. I used them to run the reversing camera cable under the van.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
I cant give any explanation as to why it worked without giving an error but it had something to do with this box which cost around £15, the alternative was to shell out about £100 for a wireing harness that supposed to do the same job but more professional. If i remeber correctly Terry had the same sort of thing fitted.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The bloke that fitted ours used a tank cutter to make the hole

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I used an existing low bulkhead hole (capped with a bung) just on at the bottom of the passenger footwell. Previously I hollowed out one of the battery compartment holes, there is a wiring loom underneath you can follow down the passenger side of the vehicle all the way to the rear and just cable tie the new cable to it.

OP
OP
Lawrence
Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
thanks all for your replies I will update all when I get out there and try to sort again cheers all

OP
OP
Lawrence
Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
Hi all problem solved battery box is full of all sorts so not a lot of room but I manage to drill a hole in the bottom corner and fed the cables through (camera feed and tow bar electric feed) I sealed hole and covered cable and fed it to the rear, will finish off tomorrow, thank you for this simple solution, cheers Lawence

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as i recall there is an ignition switched live in the rear light cluster of the panel van wiring not found on the coach built chassis. you need this to power a bypass relay for trailer lights

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
On my Ducato I had noticed a cable (with a fuse) that is connected to the +ve jump-start terminal under the bonnet, that goes right to the rear and disappears into a junction box.I had wondered what it is for, but from previous comments now assume it is a +ve feed associated with my towbar electrics. I keep on learning from this forum!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back