Ducato wins MotorHome Base Vehicle Award !

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by scotjimland, Apr 13, 2009.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

2. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

3. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

No I don't think it's a joke :RollEyes: I wasn't able to read the whole article ("cos of some annoying 'pop up' advert) but I did read that the judge was talking about the FIAT automatic gearbox which so far as I know is not the one with all the problems, still it seems a particularly crass piece of journalistic double talk to give FIAT an award for third time in a row.

Usually these publications spread these so called 'awards' around a bit to avoid the allegation of bias :RollEyes:

4. Terry

Terry Funster

:Rofl1: yep that's the one :BigGrin: at the end of the day (reversing aside )it is lower and wider than all the rest :thumb: Width is a major plus point especially in a PVC :Rofl1::thumb:
    :BigGrin: probably this year it deserves to win as it has taken 3 years to (perhaps) get it right:thumb::Blush::BigGrin:
    terry

5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

What is a "six-speed automated manual MTA gearbox" If it just some kind of addon to the original box then it will have the same clutch problems.

Doug...

6. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

No idea Doug, but I seem to recall that 10 years or so back they added a kind of 5th. gear in the form of an 'overdrive' or something and that too was a can of worms and keept going wrong and breaking down.

7. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

It is the normal gearbox as fitted to 3 litre with a computer control of clutch and gearchange.You can also drive it as a normal manual but without having to use a clutch. It has the same operation as the one fitted to the Renault, but that has been around longer, and has proved itself.
    Merc. also had one on the Sprinter, but gave it up and reverted to a standard auto box.
    Ford also developed one can't think of its name but that also was dropped
    This one as fitted to the Fiat is the new kid on the block and still has to prove itself long term.

Dave

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  8. bevo

bevo Read Only Funster

fiat ducato

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

live long and prosper:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

sounds a bit like fiat cars winning european cars of the year for years

9. Johno

Johno Read Only Funster

Maybe I'm just lucky but so far I have had no problems reversing my 2.3 ltr Ducato, and I have to reverse up a steep ramp followed by a gentle slope to get the MH into my drive. The only time I have had any sort of juddering is on the odd occaision I have failed to completely release the handbrake but since fitting a handbrake extension this has been eliminated, also I had occaisional juddering in 1st forward gear during the first hundred miles or so of the running in period but since then nothing.
    My work entails driving a large variety of vehicles and I have found each vehicle requires adaption of driving style to suit the vehicles characteristics, as like people it seems no two vans, cars, HGVs are the same. I even took the MH to the local industrial estate one Sunday morning and put it through all manner of reversing situations to try and get the juddering but to no avail, so it makes me wonder how many Ducatos are out there without this problem and maybe we only hear about the dodgy ones and like most news these days it is only the bad news that makes the headlines and upon which we tend to form our opinions.
    Just thought I would give a different slant to the discussion and it would be interesting to hear from members who like myself have not had problems with the Ducato.
    John.

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

In the words of Victor Meldrew-"I don't believe it!!"-the award that is.

11. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

what!

12. ginge61

ginge61 Read Only Funster

MUST BE A FIX :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: WELL NOT THE GEAR BOX FROM ALL ACCOUNTS :Doh:

13. Tailendcharley

Tailendcharley Read Only Funster

It has to be a fix or con of some desciption...a similar con happens when Ferrari (Fiat owned) get beaten in F1...all Ferrari have to do is object to something and the FIA investigate and usually rule in Ferraris' favour...we all know it happens and is fast becoming a joke in F1 circles.................

Regards

:Wink:Smithy:RollEyes::RollEyes:

14. chigman

chigman Read Only Funster

Fiat themselves have said there is a problem throughout the range. I have the 3 L and it judders real bad. Go to a 1-4 or 1-5 and then report back.

steve

15. vava1

vava1 Read Only Funster

amazing! voted by who? Fiat?

16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Is that the one that shakes when reversing up hill, then needs new clutch and lower ratio rev gear? If so whoever judged that.

17. crazylazy

crazylazy Read Only Funster

I had no problems with my Bolero 680FB 2007 ...it drove like a dream...I speak as I find....Yes, I am a female driver,!!I have been driving for 42years many different vehicles...even a bus (only once) .....perhaps I was lucky with the Bolero ....I am glad you have had no problems ,...but we have to take on board what the other funsters say...if I had had problems I would have been very unhappy indeed, we have to consider that according to the funsters on this site every make of vehicle has /had a problem it is very daunting as to what vehicle to buy at all!!

18. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

It is possible for any company to get it wrong at times, but it's the way you handle the resultant problems. Fiat have made a right b***s up of this one as is their usual.
    First they blamed the drivers, now have tried various fixes with mixed success, and the problem still goes on. It is a lottery on how Fiat handle the problem.
    Peugeot same van have been totally different, have always said there is a problem, and are doing the best they can to correct. I would not buy either but if I had to make a choice it would be a Peugeot at least they have customer service.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

19. richardhomas

richardhomas Deleted User

I'm not surprised seeing how there are more of them about so not much to choose from:Eeek::Eeek:

20. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

You must be very lucky since even Fiat admit there is a problem and are belatedly spending thousands on a fix. Too bad for those poor souls lumbered with one of these juddering heaps.
    This fiasco has been characterised by a lack of support from convertors who continue to use these bases (presumable on a BOGOF basis) and by Fiats initial denial of a problem. There are still people being told, by Fiat, that their van is 'within tolerance' and that there is no fix!
    There are still people who think that if they deny the problem exists then second hand values will not be affected - dream on.
    The only reason I comment on this is because of the knock on effect which is pushing prices of non Fiat based vehicles even higher and is affecting my ability to afford a new van.:Doh:
    A first year apprentice engineer could have told them that if you need a gear of 'x to 1' ratio to get a van moving forward then it needs the same ratio to get it moving safely backwards.:Eek!: