Ducato Wing Mirror

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by hilldweller, Oct 17, 2012.

1. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A huge 4x4 in the gorge du verdon whacked it hard, breaking the plastic motor mechanism, repaired in France, white van man near Weymouth finished the job off by pushing me into a hedge.

So good look round and bought ebay 380488263157 for £82. Much cheaper than wingmirrorman.

It arrived, 4" narrower than original, despite it being the "long arm" version.

But I noticed that it was otherwise identical to the original, apart from the arm, stripped off the rubber boot and, wow, identical. So unbolt the heads, fit long old arm to new head, bingo, new mirror.

Absolutely the same make and moulding marks on both heads.

Happy bunny.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mel

Mel Funster

3. hilldweller

I'm sure they would have only made matters worse. The first accident, the huge 4x4 car was flying. BANG as the mirror folded and hit the door. The frame, the glass all fine but the lightweight plastic pivot mechanism cracked, it's plastic 2mm thick that the glass hinges on.

Now add the weight of a mirror guard and all I can see that doing is hitting the door harder.

Well that's my take on it.

4. aba

aba

just shows how much mark up the dealers have on these as the guy you bought it off will have made some profit.

5. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have used these in the past..

http://www.247spares.co.uk/

You request the bit you want, they 'forward' the request to a number of suppliers and then you get the result, via e-mail or txt,

When my dad wanted a spare for his VW Passat, I got over 30 replies ranging from £50 to £120 ( read light cluster) the £50 was a brand new on still in the original box.

Job done

6. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Fiat mirrors

After a tractor incident I fitted a van (short arm) mirror to thr O/S of my Bolero, works well , don't think you could fit one to the N/S due to the angle, also depends on what model M/H you have and how much wider the body is in relation to the cab as well.

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Got mine from these guys.
    http://www.aepdirect.com/fiat-ducato-2.8-jtd-c1309?partcategory_id=38

Looks to be the same price as you paid within £2.

I also got a pair of headlamps and rear light clusters. The rear light clusters were only £20 :thumb:

8. hilldweller

I am amazed. It was £60+ plus VAT. Can't be more than a tenner to the manufacturer. 4 electric motors, 2 heated mirrors, loads and loads of plastic+metal.

If that was on a Eurofighter we, the mugs of UK, would have paid £60K or more.