Ducato wing mirror casing replacement

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by tixeo, Oct 7, 2016.

1. tixeo

tixeo Read Only Funster

Last week in the Lake District I damaged the wing mirror casing on the passenger side of my motorhome which is based on a Fiat Ducato. It is coachbuilt and so the wing mirror is a long arm version.I have been able to source a replacement casing (Ebay) but it doesn't come with any fitting instructions. I have looked online for help but with no success. Has any fitted one and could they give advice.

2. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Which series Ducato is it( eg 244, 250 etc) ?

3. tixeo

tixeo Read Only Funster

It is a 2016 motorhome. I am not sure which series that is

4. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Are you buying the whole unit/wing mirror?
    If so, they're very easy to replace.
    You may have a trim panel on the inside of the door where the mirror is fitted (depending on what model you have - some just have banking grommets) - remove this and you will see the stud nuts. You'll need a socket, extension bar and ratchet. Just undo these and remember to hold the mirror whilst doing so. (wind the window down to help)
    You'll then have to unplug the mirror electrics for the mirror adjustment/heated mirror control if fitted) this is just a push fit block.
    To fit your new mirror, it's a reversal of the above.
    If you've got the X250 model, some are fitted with the radio aerial in the mirror, so make sure you're ordering a like for like replacement.
    When your new mirror arrives, just looking at it and looking at your door, you'll be able to work it all out.

I'd recommend MirrorGuards as well.

5. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Plus if you haven't already done so, joining as a paid member on here will be the best £15 you'll spend in a year!

6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

From memory the casings are not suitable for long arm mirrors. I would check the details in your ebay listing

7. tixeo

tixeo Read Only Funster

It is just the casing that is damaged and that is the only bit I need to replace. The mirrors are fine and everything else works okay so a complete replacement is not necessary

8. Techno

9. tixeo

tixeo Read Only Funster

The casing is listed as particularly for the long arm type.It matches visually.It is the same as versions available from a Polish seller

10. Techno

Looking at the inside of the moulding it looks like there are 5 fixing points so I would start by removing all the mirror internals to access any screws

11. tixeo

tixeo Read Only Funster

I was wondering if I need to remove the plastic covers over the long arms.They appear to be in two halves and clip together over the metal arm

12. Speve

Speve Funster

I replaced mine when we had Autotrail the casing is quite hard to split apart you need to be careful although I would think your new one will already come in two pieces so you can just clip it on.
    The reason I had to split open was that there was an aeriel inside passenger side and the replacement I bought didn't.I managed to complete the task and all worked fine(y)(y)(y)

13. Jack Slipper

Jack Slipper Funster

Just had mine replaced by Fiat. £260 fitted

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I replaced mine a couple of years ago.. An easy enough job if you just kinda look at the thing.. Hard to explain how my brain works I suppose, but the job is just a simple unbolt this and that.. I had no instructions and no previous knowledge

15. Jack Slipper

Jack Slipper Funster

Not sure how easy it is to do this to be honest. I thought it looked fairly simple but in the end I took it to a Fiat commercial dealer who had quoted me 30 mins labour to do it (£35) its not far from home so I thought it wasn't worth me messing about. Turns out it took them 1 hr 45 mins (charged for 30 mins) to do it so just be aware. In addition I got the entire factory original complete long arm unit for £180, not much dearer than some of the copies.