Ducato tri axle mini bus, anyone converted one?

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Martin OSullivan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Looking at buying a fiat ducato tri axle minibus for a self build conversion, anyone on here got one or converted one?

Many thanks

2. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

3. Freespirit1

Freespirit1 Read Only Funster

Hi Martin,

Umm - it looks quite a good vehicle to do a conversion on - don't be too put off by all the windows - you could easily panel those in where required. I did a 36ft coach conversion 25yrs ago and it was well worth all the effort.

One tip if you do go ahead - completely strip it internally back to the outer skin and fill all the cavities with spray on closed cell polyurethane foam - it will also give excellent soundproofing as it is keyed to the actual surfaces. Re-fit or replace the internal skin and your ready to start the fit out.

Best wishes, Chris.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

It is easy to remove glass and sheet over windows then it'sa stright forward van conversion :thumb: Theres a couple of tag axle vans one with only a few thousand miles on a 05 plate for about 12k
    terry

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

a great blank canvas for a self build, but watch out for worn out running gear as many of these vans have had a hard life. the local to me social services run a fleet of these buses and there are always a couple off the road. suspension and gearbox seem to be weak points.

6. Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Thanks duane, I was watching that one on ebay, It is a similar one I am buying, not phased by the windows, it wont take long to take them out and sheet over with ally and then install the windows where I want them.

7. Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Hi Chris thanks,

yes my intention would be to strip it back to the bare bones and then start again, that way I know it will be done property

8. Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Any links at all terry?

9. Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Yes I had heard they suffer from susspension issues, that is more the information that I am looking for and engine and gearbox issues, if anyone has any advice on what to look out for that would be great

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the engines are the same as fitted in builders vans, delivery vans and motorhomes. pretty reliable if properly maintained and cambelt and oils changed regularly. normally good for 200k, but multiple short trips as social buses do will shorten the life by causing wear and sooting up. clutches also a bit weak due to the large coachbuilt body

get hold of a low miles example with a good service history printout and you will do very well

11. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

some of these issues were fixed by extra torsion bars across the rear wheel assemblys.

12. Terry

Terry Funster

I will try and find it but heres one to look at
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-duca...mpers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item27d78e38e7

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  13. PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29 Read Only Funster

hi,We have one although its a renault master.Stripping back is a good idea .Its only 21ft long which is easier in car parks etc.Getting lower milage is better as suggested as they weigh 4 tons ours has now done 26,000 miles. good hunting

Attached Files: