Ducato: replaced front wheel bearing-now squeaky

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by JEB, Jun 9, 2014.

1. JEB

JEB Read Only Funster

Had front n/s wheel bearing replaced.it has now developed a squeaky noise at low speed...say 10 mph, which disappeared when you dap the foot brake and then start up again when released. The same noise is now apparent at 30 mph and louder. Thought it maybe due to dust on brake pads...would appreciate any thoughts potential causes...

2. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Yep loads of ideas:Wink: but more likely only the brake pads squeaking,
    Remove pads give a clean and some anti squealing compound to the pad backplate will suffice, you could also use copperslip,:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

squealing is usually down to brake pads needing to bed in with the discs ,this is esp so with new pads. infact a lot of pads now come with chamfferd edges to help eliminate the problem.

4. Millibobs

Millibobs Funster

Agree Greyman my local mechanic changed mine last year and put the pads on grinder wheel before fitting.

5. TerryL

TerryL Funster

I believe that Ducato front brakes have an anti-squeal shim fitted between the pad and brake cylinder. Might have been accidentally left out.

6. MikeD

MikeD Funster

If it has only happened since the wheel bearing has been replaced it is almost certainly something to do with that work.

If it has got noisier or worse since then it is something that is deteriorating.

I suspect the new bearings were not seated in the rim/shaft properly allowing the disc to move a little bit. Which then allows the brake pads to rub probably on the rust on the discs.

I doubt they would have disturbed the pads in the calipers so they should not be the cause.

Jack the front wheel up and have a look for any movement that should not be there.

7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

If it stops with a dab of the brakes it's the brake pads not sitting straight, you could take it back and ask them to sort it.

8. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

i would have thought that after almost 5 months this problem will have been sorted !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Haha, well spotted! :whistle: