Ducato Re map (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I have the plug in version, and I must say I am happy increased fuel consumption,better power/torque not over done, would have it done again nicer to drive

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Had my hymer b584 done, bags more power, bags more fuel, bags more cash on a new clutch.
Fuel consumption went from 28 mpg down to 22 mpg, and not through heavy right foot, clutch kept slipping with only 18k on the clock so replaced it £500.
So bad I contacted company who remapped it to replace original mapping and no money returned.
Needless to say my Burstner on the X250 will definitely not be going down that road..
Maybe I was unlucky.
Keith

I think you had a bad file put on you last van microchip. I've never had a diesel customer get worse fuel economy. No better but a better drive sometimes but never worse.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've known Sprinter ambulances to go through their whole service life on an original clutch & that's a very harsh life of 400.000+ miles. I personally couldn't be bothered with these fragile FIAT clutches. Please don't think that I'm questioning anyone else's taste in base vehicles. Its just my own feelings, I'm judging no-one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I've known Sprinter ambulances to go through their whole service life on an original clutch & that's a very harsh life of 400.000+ miles. I personally couldn't be bothered with these fragile FIAT clutches. Please don't think that I'm questioning anyone else's taste in base vehicles. Its just my own feelings, I'm judging no-one.
To late now I have gone and bought a Fiat base one. I will just have to see what I can get out of it.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Yes but the fiats don't go through glow plugs and head gaskets like Mercs, and they dont rust like them.

Yes but the fiats don't go through glow plugs and head gaskets like Mercs, and they dont rust like them.
Rust has been a problem on my van which is something that surprised me as I expected better from a Merc. in the 385 thousand plus I have gone through; Rear wheel bearings within six months, a starter motor, prop shaft, water pump, a hydraulic steering pipe. two steering wheels and a load of sensors on the engine system and cruise control. Engine wise its fine. I have sold it on and its still being used for long trips. I think the body work will fall apart before the engine does. Never had a problem with head gasket or glow plugs. The trouble is when buying a Motorhome here in France I am told 82% of them are built on a Fiat base. I was going to say they can't all be wrong, but then again the French still buy French cars and they are a load of rubbish. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to seeing what I can get out of my Fiat.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Surely this thread is about mapping engines not point scoring over whose got the best base vehicle .

To the member who had the bad map . Like just about anything we encounter there are good and bad. I have been a car enthusiast for many years and have quite some experience of mapping cars for both road and race applications . In my business life I've had literally dozens of TD vans and have never yet had a negative experience ..

There are of course certain vehicles like the 2.8 Fiat that are we are told has a weak link in the drivetrain that link being the clutch . That info was passed onto us here on this forum by Jezport and others . Personally I would not map a vehicle with a known weak link .

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Surely this thread is about mapping engines not point scoring over whose got the best base vehicle .

To the member who had the bad map . Like just about anything we encounter there are good and bad. I have been a car enthusiast for many years and have quite some experience of mapping cars for both road and race applications . In my business life I've had literally dozens of TD vans and have never yet had a negative experience ..

There are of course certain vehicles like the 2.8 Fiat that are we are told has a weak link in the drivetrain that link being the clutch . That info was passed onto us here on this forum by Jezport and others . Personally I would not map a vehicle with a known weak link .
What's the verdict on re-mapping a Fiat 2.3 multyjet. I normally like to leave things as standard.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
What's the verdict on re-mapping a Fiat 2.3 multyjet. I normally like to leave things as standard.

I have no specific info on that particular engine/drivetrain. But unless it has the seemingly inherent weak points like the 2.8 I would definitely get it done.

Do your homework and get it done by a proven reputable tuner and I bet you will love it !

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
If you ever come back to the uk call in and I'll do it for you. My 2.3 is a lot better now it's done. Mine was the 130bhp version which is the sames as the 150 it's just the ecu that controls the power so I'm sure the clutch can handle the extra 10 bhp as mine is 160 bhp now.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I had my 2.3 130 bhp Bolero remapped 2 years ago, much much nicer to drive, less gear changing, more midrange torque, and approximately 2-3 mpg more, as well. The main improvement though is the character of the engine, very noticeably quieter and smoother, an unexpected bonus. No clutch problems either, well pleased.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
If you ever come back to the uk call in and I'll do it for you. My 2.3 is a lot better now it's done. Mine was the 130bhp version which is the sames as the 150 it's just the ecu that controls the power so I'm sure the clutch can handle the extra 10 bhp as mine is 160 bhp now.
Your going to regret this offer, What does it involve? What sort of cost are we talking about? and how long would it take. Which part of the UK are you in.

I'm booked to come over from the 1st August to the 7th August to attend a wedding in Ivybridge and see some friends in Bournemouth.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Looking at stage one remap (celtic tuning) they quote +35BHP

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Your going to regret this offer, What does it involve? What sort of cost are we talking about? and how long would it take. Which part of the UK are you in.

I'm booked to come over from the 1st August to the 7th August to attend a wedding in Ivybridge and see some friends in Bournemouth.
I live in Poole 15 mins from Bournemouth

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I think you had a bad file put on you last van microchip. I've never had a diesel customer get worse fuel economy. No better but a better drive sometimes but never worse.
Maybe, but I had the mapping company back 3 times to get it right and only having the original mapping did I get the better mpg.
So with my past experience I won't be having my current van remapped.
Keith..

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Are you based in sunny Dorset ?
Phil

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I had my 2.3 130 bhp Bolero remapped 2 years ago, much much nicer to drive, less gear changing, more midrange torque, and approximately 2-3 mpg more, as well. The main improvement though is the character of the engine, very noticeably quieter and smoother, an unexpected bonus. No clutch problems either, well pleased.
That my experience to a tee
Identical

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Interesting thread. I have mixed feelings about re-mapping. On the one hand it would be nice to see a flatter torque curve, which (in theory) could mean a more relaxed drive?. More power?, well the theoretical trade off would be lower fuel consumption surely? In Heat physics you get out what you put in, minus losses. As for clutch issues, assuming it to be properly adjusted, any issues would be overloading the design parameters?. (or poorly specified by the manufacturer?).

With (in my case) the Fiat Ducato 2.3 (130bhp?). it appears to drive OK. I expect to have to change down on a climb, and a New clutch and associated parts where fitted when the 6th gear failure was "Cured" at about 33k miles.

I guess for the cost alleged to be 350 quid or so, for a "proper job", I could buy a fair amount of diesel?

Pete

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
i think the best way it was explained to me was....

Fiat map is for all van variants , in all countries with all loads, all drivers , it works from south africa all the way up to northern norway, all terrains, all temperatures and all weights

My boosters map was for a european, loaded motorhome.

does one size really fit all?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
How long have you been a member of MHF :whistle:;)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Well, my 2.8 has been remapped and I have to say so far so good. It's a generic map, no rolling rood involved - I can see the point but that must make it a lot more expensive! I was given a choice of map designed for outright power, outright economy or a compromise between the two.

The compromise was what I went for, it gave an immediate and very noticeable improvement in torque and the van is definitely nicer to drive as a result. No clutch issues so far, but the van is only on 28k miles. Can't say as I've checked fuel economy but it certainly doesn't seem to have got any worse.

DK Tuning in Wolverhampton, comes and does the work on your drive, very friendly guy and excellent service if anyone's near the West Midlands and interested. He reckons he does a lot of motorhomes.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi There
I know it’s not possible for us anyway but I would like someone to do a Map not Mapped test on a range of vehicles say 500 and get some of them mapped and some not and tell all drivers their vehicles were mapped on a rolling road to the highest standard with the best map for fuel economy and power and see what they thought and how it drove now with the mapped vehicle. It would be interesting to see if there was placebo effect.

Not that I’m saying those who said they had a better drive and better fuel economy didn’t, I’m just saying it would be an interesting experiment.
Best Wishes Tony

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all, just thought i'd add my 2 pennies worth. I recently fitted a performance/fuel economy chip from a german supplier bought from ebay for my fiat ducato 2.8 jtd. Absolutely pulled like a train, thought this is fantastic until i hit a steep hill on the A27 outside Brighton. Just before I got to the top the revs shot up to 3500 revs as the clutch slipped. When i got home i did some research and it seems that like all manufacturers the parts they fit are only just strong enough, the increase in torque i got from the chip, possibly an additional 20%, was too much for the clutch. On further investigation I found this site 'Larkspeed car performance. They recommend fitting a 'stage 3 clutch' to any diesel that has been chipped. The price of a stage 3 clutch is £400.I have disconnected my chip, as van has only done 12000 miles and don't really want to be forking out for a new clutch just yet. Hope this information is found to be helpful. Regards Luke

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Hi There
I know it’s not possible for us anyway but I would like someone to do a Map not Mapped test on a range of vehicles say 500 and get some of them mapped and some not and tell all drivers their vehicles were mapped on a rolling road to the highest standard with the best map for fuel economy and power and see what they thought and how it drove now with the mapped vehicle. It would be interesting to see if there was placebo effect.

Not that I’m saying those who said they had a better drive and better fuel economy didn’t, I’m just saying it would be an interesting experiment.
Best Wishes Tony

I remap a lot of Vauxhall cars for Vauxhall main agents some with only 3 miles on the clock.
Some of the dealers have there demo Vivaro vans done and have carried out there own fuel tests on my maps. On average they went from 36 mpg on standard file to 42 mpg when mapped
I spoke to a dealer in Southampton today and I'm going there next week to do there Astra GTC VXR 2.0 turbo petrol engine.
Apart from the nice power increase the sales manger said he is 11mpg worse off now with his new car over his old one. I was amazed by this myself and questioned it but this but it's the main reason why I'm going to do the new one he's driving now.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Hi There

Best Wishes Tony
why tony?
get a map done or don't get it done,........... talk is cheap tony
'placebo effect' suggestion would intimate you think some of us are daft enough to be fooled, despite your 'not that I'm saying' quote
I personally have got a 18% increase in economy and can tow in 6th gear, no placebo required, no thinking involved

Last edited:
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Does anyone know if remapping your engine has any effect on the pollution control for the M.O.T. ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back