Ducato PVC sliding door lubrication?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by TheCaller, Apr 5, 2016.

1. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

The sliding side door on our Fiat Ducato PVC has become very stiff & squeaks & squeals. As far as I can tell, it is the runner in the middle of the door that is the problem. This appears to be a rubber or plastic wheel running on a stainless steel runner. The whole assembly is mounted on a pivot that rotates through about 90 degrees as the door moves out from the side of the van & begins to move rearwards.

It is difficult to tell if it's just the wheel that is the problem, or if the pivot may also be stiff. It is inclined to jam just as the door has moved out & starts to go backwards, but if the wheel is sticking, this may be what it hindering the rotation too.

Anyone had similar problems & if so, what was the cure? Given the mix of materials & the fact that the runner is exposed, so getting it greasy doesn't seem to be the right option, I'm wondering what, if anything, can be used as a lubricant.

As I'd like to keep this visible & therefore out of the Belly Locker, please resist the obvious temptations at least until after I've had the sensible answer. :D:D :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

I picked up a can of the Thetford silicon lubricant relatively cheaply and have found that it does the job on all sorts of things and is safe on pretty much all materials.

Although not used on your particular problem I've successfully used it on a sticking roof light, tambour shower door, loo seals, sticking cupboard catches and probably several other things that I've forgotten.

I suspect other silicon lubes will do the same sort of thing.

There - you've had a sensible answer, now I await everyone else's lube jokes;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Ah, well, I've got some of that, so I could give it a try.

Better wait a decent interval in case someone appears to say they used it & it made the door fall off, but it sounds a sensible option - thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

@Stroppy Bird Immediate feedback, having just completed the job, is that the door now slides beautifully. (y):cool: It still needs a good slam to fully latch, but that wasn't the problem I was trying to solve.

We will see how long it lasts & whether it goes sticky & acts as a dust magnet.

:thanks3:

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I was going to suggest silicon spray, I use it on our sliding door, but be aware the fix doesn't last very long. You will need to redo it soon.

But the silicon spray also does the loo sliding valve as well so it is an essential extra for us. :)

Unfortunately, it has no effect on knees and hips. :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Silicon spray was what I used...

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

When I used silicon lubricant on my door, it worked great for about a week, but then the door fell off.

Something to do with the silicon reacting to the door seals or something.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

You will be hearing from my solicitor. Negligence claim for not responding to my post #3 in a timely manner. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And another option is the red grease used to assemble brake parts.. It is specifically for use on rubber parts but does not just wash off stuff !

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Thanks for the various suggestions. I'd got some silicon spray, so tried it first & after a week I can report that it's still working & doesn't seem to be attracting dirt.

Main reason for the update is to apologise for not responding sooner to the other helpful hints (other than the one from Chris :D). For some reason they didn't show up a first. Might have had something to do with swapping between phone & laptop, although that isn't usually a problem.