Ducato poor radio reception fixed (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we first had our van the radio worked fine but it was gradually getting worse. The aerial (photo attached) came loose from time to time and I kept tightening it up but it made no difference.

Last month I removed the radio to check connections and the only accessible potential problem I could find was the screw connection for the aerial mast. On the grounds that I couldn't lose anything I stuck the end of the mast into a jar of petroleum jelly before screwing it in again.

We've since been up to South Shields and back then over to Oldham, down to Cardiff and back home to Tees-side and the radio has been fine. A similar solution might be worth trying by anyone else having reception problems.

Attachments

• aerial.jpg
    aerial.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 493
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I like listening to Radio 2:cool: but I've noticed in my work van that the reception is poo, only trouble is Radio 1 is fine so not sure this will work but worth a try(y) thanks Graham.

Reactions: GJH

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
When we first had our van the radio worked fine but it was gradually getting worse. The aerial (photo attached) came loose from time to time and I kept tightening it up but it made no difference.

Last month I removed the radio to check connections and the only accessible potential problem I could find was the screw connection for the aerial mast. On the grounds that I couldn't lose anything I stuck the end of the mast into a jar of petroleum jelly before screwing it in again.

We've since been up to South Shields and back then over to Oldham, down to Cardiff and back home to Tees-side and the radio has been fine. A similar solution might be worth trying by anyone else having reception problems.

that made me laugh must just be my sense of humour

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have been watching dome figures over the past few years.. figures that are meaningless to most folk but....

The main FM transmitters seem to have been lowering the output power slowly.. As a digital service in an area gets ramped up, so the old FM transmitters are dropping

Same thing happened to analogue television
As and when digital channels became available so the main analogue signals dropped

Folk get poor reception and decide it is time to 'upgrade'.

Eventually there are so few folk left on the 'old fashioned' system the powers that be can turn it off stating a lack of use..

Radio is likely to take a lot longer to fully implement the change over but it IS happening ..................

Reactions: SMB

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
My friend told me how he used Vaseline as an aid to sex and a peaceful nights sleep :Eeek:

Told me he smeared it all over the bedroom door handle, so the kids couldn't get in at night :groan::imoutahere:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
came loose from time to time and I kept tightening it up but it made no difference.

On the grounds that I couldn't lose anything I stuck the end into a jar of petroleum jelly before screwing it in again.
:D

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Changed mine for a DAB digital
Radio - perfect wherever we go - In the UK. Don't work in France tho!
What radio Dave ?
weve tried DAB & its cak here even the home dab is a waste of space so it be interesting to know what works in your van (y)
On the FM side ive given up on normal antennas but have one last attempt before I drill a hole in the roof o_O

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Radio reception in my van has always been crap, no idea where the aerial is as its built-in somewhere (well, being a Swift why am I not surprised). I think I have read in previous posts that this is a common problem, anyone any idea how to fix this (without the aid of Vaseline please) :whistle:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Radio reception in my van has always been crap, no idea where the aerial is as its built-in somewhere (well, being a Swift why am I not surprised). I think I have read in previous posts that this is a common problem, anyone any idea how to fix this (without the aid of Vaseline please) :whistle:
A common theme of late is inside the passenger wing mirror, nothing beat a good old fashioned lump of steel on your roof & the longer the better but im afraid its come down to science nowdays.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Yr right, I was considering DAB but not much point if it doesn't work abroad. I understand that this may change soon as they are bringing out another type which will work in multiple countries, until then it's the MP3 player for me (y)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we had the Autoquest the cab radio reception wasn't too bad but a bit patchy. However, using a portable FM radio when camped was fairly useless. Not so a DAB radio - I bought a cheap mono set from Argos Clearance on eBay and it was fine.

These days we tend to use the radio only when travelling, for traffic reports mainly, so the cab radio is the only one we have with us.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
While camped up I use the TV for radio but I have been thinking of changing head unit for something with USB connection. Or something I can tether my phone to for music any ideas suggestions ? Also is it possible at wall to get British radio in van in France/Spain ? Ta

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We have also experienced the crap radio signal on the original van unit.

So I changed the head unit so I can now just plug my iphone into it via the auxiliary socket.
Perfect clear digital radio now via the free "Tuneit" App, be it on BBC, Commercial radio whatever...

Brill... and it even worked in Europe.... (y)

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Over in the states they have mobile satellite radio, i cant comment on the quality but from programs like ice road truckers & from what i can gather from the internet it is reliable.
They are giving up on the DAB service cos its crap & intend to adopt something else.
Satellite is the way me thinks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had bad radio reception for a while, we like listening to Radio 2 when travelling and when we went up to Scotland and then back down via Northumberland it was so bad that it was the last straw so hubby bit the bullet and bought another aerial for the princely sum of £3.95 delivered which arrived the other day and was duly screwed on in place of the original, now instead of just a handful of stations we get loads and also several to choose from for the same station, eg whereas before there was only one Radio 2 'spot' on the range, there are now at least three, and as for Radio 4 ... we must have at least 6 'spots' to choose from! Its early days yet but it is much, much better than the original cr@p aerial.

Broken Link Removed

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
What radio Dave ?
weve tried DAB & its cak here even the home dab is a waste of space so it be interesting to know what works in your van (y)
On the FM side ive given up on normal antennas but have one last attempt before I drill a hole in the roof o_O
I'll inform more tomorrow when sober!

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
We have also experienced the crap radio signal on the original van unit.

So I changed the head unit so I can now just plug my iphone into it via the auxiliary socket.
Perfect clear digital radio now via the free "Tuneit" App, be it on BBC, Commercial radio whatever...

Brill... and it even worked in Europe.... (y)
Does this use your data allowance though?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back