Ducato heating (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It was -3°C this morning. I put the cab heating on full (and recirculating) but still had cold legs after 2½hrs driving. I’m sure my Merc vehicles were much better but, now that I have down-sized, I’m getting used to a Fiat base.

Is the Ducato heating system known to be poor, or is there a ‘special’ technique for getting the best from the engine heating (on a 2016 model)? I’d add a Webasto unit but don’t want to carry any unnecessary weight.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unless you put curtains behind the seats to keep the heat up front it will always be crap.
An open area the size of a van or motorhome is a bloody big area to heat.
My old kontiki had floor to overcab bed shelf heavy curtains and worked well.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
My Fiat Ducato is exactly the same.So many draughts coming through from somewhere.I have taped up the bung under the cab.Where else do I need to block off?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My Fiat Ducato is exactly the same.So many draughts coming through from somewhere.I have taped up the bung under the cab.Where else do I need to block off?
Depends on your model, some have great big vent holes in the doors, also the slot where the seatbelt comes up through at the side of the door can let in a lot of draught too. I assume by 'bung' under the cab you're talking about the holes under the rear of the cab seats?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cab heating is always cr@p in my experience! The best thing is to wear warmer socks/trousers if expecting a long drive to prevent you getting cold in the first place as you travel.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If its really cold I run the gas heating to get the van up to temp then the cab heater can maintain it.

I find with bright sun on a cool day I get cold legs and feet as the from the sun through the screen is detected by the heat sensors and it turns the heating down.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We don't feel any drafts up front, nice n cosy when heating is on.

Maybe we are just so used to the cold any heating is a bonus in winter.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I use the hab heating (its diesel) and have that on while loading too toasty after a few miles

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We run the hab gas heating on low while driving. Gas heating is safe to use while in motion as long as you have a crash safe regulator.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I must confess that after I'd been outside for a break and got back in, I could feel the warmth. Never had that problem before (three A-classes) maybe it's my own circulation at fault.
True, it's got to heat more than the space it was designed to do but, as said, I've not noticed on Mercs before. If it persists, I may put a blind over the radiator.
Thanks for the feedback.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our cab heating isn't too bad but if it's very cold or we have passengers I switch the road heating on. toasty!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I must confess that after I'd been outside for a break and got back in, I could feel the warmth. Never had that problem before (three A-classes) maybe it's my own circulation at fault.
True, it's got to heat more than the space it was designed to do but, as said, I've not noticed on Mercs before. If it persists, I may put a blind over the radiator.
Thanks for the feedback.
You could get a 12v heated blanket so you'd be nice and snug especially if you wrap it round your legs, alternatively you could get some leg warmers and wear them under your trousers unless you prefer to show them off!

s-l1600.jpg

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
We had the same with an Autotrail, the draft coming up between the seats would cut you in two, absolute litter, we too hung a curtain behind the seats and problem solved. We now have a Adria a class also fiat based, and the cab heater works fine , no drafts. Build quality is a very under estimated thing

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
... and if you're throwing old sweaters away, cut the arms off and put them on your legs under your trousers .. lovely and warm. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The best for keeping legs warm, in my view, are 'long johns' made from silk.

Link Removed

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If in doubt about the size, get one size larger. Mine were not what I'd call generous.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I don't like being too warm when driving, I sometimes feel sleepy, especially driving at night , so I tend to only have the bare minimum heat on.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
There is just too many places that have a draft in our Autotrail (2015 model). We have plugged the holes each side underneath at the front but this has made little difference. The cold comes in all around the bench seats as well the door wells. When it is this cold it is like being exposed directly to the outside with nothing in between. We end up putting draft excluders round everything and in the door wells. It does help but it is still drafty. One of the main reasons i am looking forward to the next MH which has Alde Heating and also under floor heating. In the new one i can also use the hab heating whilst on the move which will be a god send,cant wait. :)

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
There is just too many places that have a draft in our Autotrail (2015 model). We have plugged the holes each side underneath at the front but this has made little difference. The cold comes in all around the bench seats as well the door wells. When it is this cold it is like being exposed directly to the outside with nothing in between. We end up putting draft excluders round everything and in the door wells. It does help but it is still drafty. One of the main reasons i am looking forward to the next MH which has Alde Heating and also under floor heating. In the new one i can also use the hab heating whilst on the move which will be a god send,cant wait. :)
Ours is the same fantastic, different league to our Autotrail

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back