Ducato handbrake - I'm fed up with it now! (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Has anyone else had persistent problems with the rear wheels of their Ducato squeaking, caused it seems by the handbrake?

I've got one of the very last X244 Ducato's on the "Maxi" heavy duty chassis, which have an odd arrangement for the back brakes of having a disc brake for braking whilst driving, and a separate "top hat" small drum brake in the middle for the handbrake.

When I first got the van the handbrake was binding, but after a stripdown, cleanup & lubricate by the garage all seemed to be well, except for a squeak. Recently during some other work they misadjusted the handbrake which caused it to suddenly bind on whilst driving - in fairness to them, they admitted their mistake and stripped and rebuilt the back brakes again, all works well but there's still that damn squeak!

It's been suggested that new brake shoes for the drum is the way to go.

Anyone else had Ducato handbrake problems? I never like the way the van moves an inch or so after you put the handbrake on and release the footbrake either, but that's just a side effect of the design I presume.

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
We've got a X244 with an AL-KO set up so will be totally different to your Maxi chassis, but have owned other 244's with the more "conventional" set up like yours. It takes time and patience to get the handbrake set up correctly, if doing it yourself with a good workshop manual, or alternatively taking it to a mechanic who knows what he's doing (and I know that's not easy sometimes !). Another good source of info. is to be found on the Fiat Forum.com ......select Ducato......and then search.

By the way I don't see the point in just fitting new brake shoes, as that in itself wont solve anything, unless they're badly worn or distorted. I take it all the cable routing has been greased, and the problem is not simply that it's getting stuck after application?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's more likely to be the disc pads - take them out, coat the back of each with Copaslip, then put them back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
No, it's definitely the handbrake - the footbrake, for the disc, makes no odds to the noise, whereas the handbrake does affect it.

Hobbytwo, yours might not be so different to mine, don't Al-Ko re-use the Fiat back axle? Everything is well greased now. I do wonder if the previous issues mean that the shoes have distorted slightly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back