Ducato Handbrake Cable Replacement (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Has anyone any suggestions on the easiest way to replace the handbrake cable on a Ducato, its the rear section that goes between the 2 rear wheels,

Can the toggle ends of the cable be un-clipped and re-clipped without removal of the rear brake disks or do they need to be removed first, the existing cable is still complete its just jamming up when it needs to release.

Its a 2004/5 2.8JTD with an ALKO Chassis, and disk brakes all round, the handbrake works on shoes fitted inside the disk.

Thanks

Braunston

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You bought the cable yet
It could be siezed shoes or broken return springs inside the disc
Anyhooo the Discs will have to come orf:Doh::cry:
Geo

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The discs have to come off. Once you have slackened the cable and removed the central support bracket you can move the cable ends from their retaining collar and withdraw them from the brake assembly.

If your cable is u/s the Fiat ones (or aftermarket suppliers) are too long. My ALKO cable siezed and, as ALKO UK had none in stock, they said that it would have to be ordered from Germany. 2 weeks delivery and £150 plus carriage.

I used, www.speedycables, in Swansea. They suggested that I send the old cable to them and they would manufacture a new replacement using it as a pattern. Sent Monday, received back Wednesday by courier. £56 all in.

One of the most professional firms I have ever dealt with.

Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back