Ducato handbrake adjustment within hub (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Hello,

My van is 2006 late model X244, the very last of the "old shape" Ducato. It's on the Fiat Maxi 1800kg payload chassis, with the "drum in hat" type rear brakes, where you have a disc brake on the outside as usual for the main brakes and a small drum brake in the centre that's just for the handbrake.

I'm slightly confused over the correct adjustment for the handbrake shoes. The Ducato manual I've got, which is a copy of the Fiat E-Learn system, details the procedure twice - first one says the correct adjustment is to turn the adjuster for 10 teeth, though from the tolerance indicated you could allow more:-

Brake 1.JPG

The second set of instructions, for the same page, are exactly the same but say "Valid for versions with disc brakes" - despite the fact that the first set of instructions are also clearly for vans with disc brakes! - this one says to rotate the toothed wheel by only 5 clicks:-

Brake 2.JPG

Any ideas which one is right? Or are you just better off just adjusting the shoes in until the drum/disc can rotate freely, and not get too hung up on how far you rotate the adjuster?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Follow instructions for whichever rear brake type you have....disc or drum service brake.

The difference in clicks will be the physical dimensions of the brake shoes and adjusters as the drum brake utilises the same shoes for hand or service brakes whereas the disc version has an inbuilt drum with much smaller shoes.
The drum in disc handbrake shoes wont expand like the drum brakes as it only gets used when parked so can run closer to the drum....ie: only 5 clicks.
The pics used in the first part are a typo...they should be pics of drum brakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My point John is that the instructions look to be for exactly the same brakes apart for the adjustment criteria - hence my confusion - if you look at the pictures they both show "tophat" style disc with inbuilt drum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I simply back it off until the wheel turns freely. I did mine with the wheel on and just one bolt removed.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My X250 uses same system just not at the top, more like 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock
image-L.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back