Ducato Flaking paint

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JSH, Sep 3, 2014.

1. JSH

JSH Funster

Hi Guys.
    Just back from a break in the Alps and noticed that there's a large patch of paint flaked of the bonnet of my Swift Voyager 2009 (Ducato X2/50 chassis in white). It is straight through to the gold colour of the bare bonnet (or primer - not sure which)
    Has this happened to anyone else? I'm guessing it is out of paint warranty but it definitely looks like a defect. Water temp was normal all the way there and back but the local Fiat dealer has suggested it could have failed owing to heat generated by poor air flow ( I hasten to add that that diagnosis was off the cuff and unseen)
    Cheers
    John

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Hi John

Sorry to read about the paint problem. But out of interest what colour was it that flaked off?

3. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

mine din.nt flake off but had a dint from a lorry, patched it up rubbed it down and had it wrapped ,

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. JSH

JSH Funster

Its the original white paint from the base vehicle MikeD. I have considered a wrap too g8ysn

• Like Like x 1
  5. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I've tried two different body shops and neither came up with a wrap that I liked, but I like what you've done very nice.

Dare I ask where it was done?. Griff

• Like Like x 1
  6. biggsy

biggsy Read Only Funster

Had a similar problem recently, with the white paint flaking off from the "lip" at the bottom end of the bonnet. Was told that the primer was not properly keyed, meaning the white wouldn't stick. Didn't really know what all that meant, but had the bonnet taken back to bare metal and redone. Interesting that you have had a similar problem.

7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Me too please!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bat and ball

Bat and ball Funster

JSH funster ,
    Regards to paint flaking on the Bonnet, we have taken this up with Peugeot,
    We have a auto cruise star spirt , our van is 2005 with 16,000 miles on the clock, I had been informed by Peugeot that the vehicle has only two years paint warranty, so I have had it done with two pack paint at a cost of £150-00 wish I never bought a Peugeot,
    Other problems , clutch fell to pieces 800 miles, first M-O-T failed on n/side wheel bearing 8000 miles, rear wheel cylinders ceased 10,000 miles, Wheel Bearing gone again , this is not fit for purpose, but the caravan side is fantastic,

9. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

My bonnet started to flake this spring, Its a 2009 I thought about taking Fiat on but have been quoted £70 to have the bonnet done and the whole cab polished, so unless you have an onging class action in hand I am just putting it down to FWand T

10. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

I've just got a little bit flaked off the other day, thought it was down to stone chippings! Was going to see about getting it repaired and have ordered a bonnet bra!

Mine is a 58 plate

11. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

Ditto; had my 2006 Mohican over 5 years and began losing paint in the middle of this year. I think it might be stone chips followed by ingress of water between primer (yellow) and top coat (white). Unfortunately I do jet wash albeit carefully. This paint loss has happened in two places both of which have now been temporarily covered with custom vinyl graphics. I have also scrutinised the remainder of the bonnet and hopefully prevented any more problems.

12. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

fundecals huthwate notts

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We had a flaking problem on our 2003 Ducato bonnet but thought it was started by stones coming off a flatbed lorry one day. We had the bonnet resprayed at a local body shop and it seems fine now.

14. godfrey

godfrey Read Only Funster

I think it is a common fault with Fiat paint or perhaps the application. The paint on my 2007 Ducato is flaking on the roof and the front cowl above the screen. I told that the paint was not suitable for the climate in NZ . What BS

15. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

DonA4000: I bought a bonnet bra at the Peterborough show, not because there was a problem with the paintwork but in an attempt to prevent stone chips. When my local dealer saw it on the van he advised me to remove it, apparently they can actually damage the paint work by causing the bonnet to 'sweat'. Mine is a vinyl material one with a fleece type lining, looks great when on but now I only use it for very motorway journeys. Easy enough to take on and off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Same problem on our 09 Boxer. Paint just randomly flaking off on the front of the Peugeot base vehicle on the bonnet and wings etc.
    We are having the front resprayed.

17. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

I too have paint flake on my 2008 ducato but only on the bonnet
    Strange so many with same problem in same area