Ducato Dim Dashboard Illumination

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Apache, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Apache

Apache

Hello folks, not been on the forum for a while so if this has been discussed already I apologise . We changed our motorhome at October 2015 NEC show ( swapped our Apache 632 for a shiny new Apache 700 ) and were lucky to be able to take delivery in November so no long wait. We are very pleased with our new purchase but I do find the instruments difficult to see in daylight. I seem to recall there was mention of this in a previous edition of MMM and that Fiat were offering a solution to this problem. Have any of you had this modification done and was it successful ?
    Also where did you go to get it done , Dealer or Fiat Professional workshop and was it free ?

2. Dixi

Dixi Funster

Fiat do have a fix for the problem but the fix is not available till sometime in March you need to register your fault with fiat and your Fiat dealer will do the fix when available

john

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Apache

Apache

Thanks John , presumably that means my local Fiat Professional workshop ?
    Or should I contact Fiat uk direct would you say ?

4. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

Hi Apache
    I contacted Fiat on 0080034281111 to ask about my ignition switch recall and lodge for my illumination of my speedo to be fixed on my 2015 MH.
    Colin

5. Apache

Apache

Good point Colin thank you , I did wonder about phoning that number but wasn't sure. Will do now though. Has yours got the integrated Tom Tom sat nav and if so did it come with live traffic built in ? Mine has the symbol for it on the screen but it's not active. I wondered if it is only active when a signal is available

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Give them a ring. They have been very helpful with me.

7. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

Hi Apache
    I've had two brand new Autotrails in the past, both suffered from water ingress in less than 18months, I bought a new PVC. Then when I was at the NEC after talking and watching Mr Thomas and Mr Turpin from Autotrail I decided because of the attitude they showed to customers they were NEVER getting my money again. I now have a foreign made MH.
    As regards to TomTom I have had x2 stand alone ones with no problem.
    Colin

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There is a problem with some recent vehicles but have you tried turning the illumination up - it is adjustable.

9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

The problem is that there is no illumination of the instruments at all when the lights are not switched on, so there is no point trying to turn up something that is not there :D. That is why we are finding it difficult to see. Illumination only comes on when lights are switched on, and then you can adjust it.

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Wierd, it sounds like you have one of the ones which have a fault.

11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

According to Fiat all the X290s and X295s are like that and were designed like it. There are other faults - problem with the ignition, which is subject to a recall for certain VIN numbers, and glowing warning lights which is not subject to a recall, but which the Fiat dealer will fix if your vehicle has the problem. Mine is OK for the former, but last Thursday I got the latter sorted. Still waiting for the lighting though.

12. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

I have 2015 700 but don't seem to have an issue with the dash lights, had the ignition switch done today, took about 10 minutes i think.

13. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Does your instrument cluster light up without the outside lights being on?

14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Just picked up my B544 on 9th Feb, no daylight illumination of speedo and rev counter although the trip is lit.
    On a bright day almost impossible to read speedo.
    I rang the dedicated number , as above, to register and again the fix should take place in March.
    I saw a young lady on the Fiat stand at NEC who said it was a software fix, hmmm, we will see.

15. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Your are obviously responding to another post. NEVER, post under the influence. Think Fiat, not Auto Trail :doh: Think, how can I help the OP, if I can't, I shouldn't rant.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Daveo2006

Been and looked today and no the speedo does light up without lights on and yes i can see now that it could be a problem. Please don't take it as though i don't watch my speed :whistle:. So there is going to be a solution for this ?

17. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Phone up Fiat camper support on 0080034281111 (note the double zero at the beginning). They are based in Milan, but speak perfect English and are very helpful. They will put you on the list and contact you when the modification is available at your local Fiat Pro dealer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Daveo2006

Great stuff , thank you.

19. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

06/04/16. Just had a call from FIAT Italy. They have completed their update process and rang to arrange for my local FIAT professional agent to be put in touch with me to book my MH in for a instrument cluster update.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. jo-ca

jo-ca Funster

I to am waiting for a update. Please post as to what the fix is and if its OK