Ducato Dashboard Display early signs of Failure? (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Has anyone had their dashboard binnacle replaced by Fiat after the 3 year warranty has expired? Otherwise I'm facing a cost of £857!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We a door open light glowing, what happens if you just decide to leave it?

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@robnchris - that's my dilemma! My plan is to talk to Fiat tomorrow and see if I can persuade them to, say, provide the parts for free. If that doesn't work then I'm tempted to leave it as £857 to fix a slightly glowing warning light seems a bit excessive!

Aug 31, 2015
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt,
Exp
September 2015
Ours is an early 2015 X290 and it's going into Fiat dealer on the 12th for a diagnostic check prior to, hopefully, an instrument cluster change.
Just had the diagnostic check completed and we need a new instrument cluster!

Whilst there the dealer advised of us of a new recall campaign for X290's with chassis numbers between 2729501 and 2904391 regarding a dodgy ignition switch

I have posted details of this in another thread
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/re-call-on-2015-fiat-ducato.122588/#post-1702243

Shiney

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E562
Exp
The replacement of the dash is totally separate from warranty on the van. We just had ours done by my friends garage who are are a Fiat main dealer. It is subject to recall and no life has currently been placed on it. So if it needs doing there should be no cost. If a dealer is telling you otherwise you need to contact Fiat direct and organise it.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Hi @Shiney and welcome! Which dashboard problem are you referring to? The inability to read the 2015 dashboard (which I think is the subject of a recall and would not be subject to the 3 year warranty time limit) or the dimly lit warning lights on earlier models such as my 2012 model - which, I am assuming is subject to the 3 year time limit?
Thanks,
Bill

Shiney

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E562
Exp
Hi @Shiney and welcome! Which dashboard problem are you referring to? The inability to read the 2015 dashboard (which I think is the subject of a recall and would not be subject to the 3 year warranty time limit) or the dimly lit warning lights on earlier models such as my 2012 model - which, I am assuming is subject to the 3 year time limit?
Thanks,
Bill

Hi, thanks for the welcome, another deserter from motohome facts!

I am referring to the dimly lit dashboard warning lights as mine has just been done as part of the recall. Another point worth noting is that the base vehicle warranty from Fiat is 2yrs Europe wide. Any additional 3rd year warranties that are added to vans in the UK is through a 3rd party insurer even though "badged" as Fiat.

When mine went wrong my van was over two years old and my friends service department tole me it was not under warranty. They then checked and found it was subject to a recall and therefore would be done anyway.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Shiney - my MH is now 3 years 8 months old (April 2012). There is no recall showing against my chassis number and I'm out of warranty hence I'm on my own as far as this problem is concerned :-(

P.S. what took you so long to abandon the dark side?!!

Shiney

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E562
Exp
I stopped posting on the other side awhile ago. Fed up of the old fogies clique that seem to run it.....

Back to your dash, contact Fiat direct and ask them to sort it. I don't believe the recall is logged against specific chassis numbers as that's what set me on the journey to get it resolved!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Finally got around to booking my van in to get it sorted. Pleased to find we now have a Fiat commercial dealer less than 3 miles away in Shoreham-by-Sea.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Just to provide an update on my dashboard binnacle problem. I am pleased to report that Fiat have agreed to replace the binnacle at no cost to me despite the vehicle being out of warranty. The work hasn't been done yet but I received calls from both Fiat and my local dealer yesterday confirming that the part was being ordered and that the job will be booked in as soon as it arrives. Good result! :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Took mine in on Wednesday as it is a personal important they have to register the warranty with Fiat Italy then they will order a new binnacle.

Aug 31, 2015
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt,
Exp
September 2015
New instrument cluster fitted today and, hey presto, no more faintly glowing warning lights. New ignition switch connector fitted at the same time to satisfy that recall. Just the issue of speedo visibility to be resolved now!

Blue J

Free Member
Apr 20, 2016
PAISLEY
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2007
I know this is an old post but any one prepared to offer any evidence ie letters etc from fiat or dates times names as I’m now at stale mate with Fiat refusing to fix my dash for free even though they have done so various times out of warranty and denying an knowledge of recal etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blue J

Free Member
Apr 20, 2016
PAISLEY
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2007
I know about Cartronix it’s not about that why should you have to pay when others have had it replaced free. Why is one more deserving than the other.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We had this issue with our latest van - it was out of Fiat warranty at 2 1/2 years old. One local Fiat dealer was well aware of the issue and said they had recently had a customer a month out of warranty with the same problem. Based on previous experience they expected Fiat to agree to replacement but the answer came back that they would meet half the cost as a “goodwill“ gesture. It seems Fiat, for whatever reason, are tightening up on this. So you may have to be willing to go through the legal route?

We decided we wanted it fixed soon and that if the choice was between paying half the cost of a Fiat replacement at £900-odd, and getting it fixed by Cartronix at £150, there was no real choice.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Fiat replacement at £900-odd, and getting it fixed by Cartronix at £150

I wonder if this is why Fiat are now refusing .... and washing their hands of the issue... i.e a readily available fix from a third party.. at no cost to Fiat..

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Personally, with the inconvenience of taking the van in to a Fiat Pro dealer to get a replacement, knowing that it too will probably exhibit the same symptoms at some time in the future, at which point you will than have to pay to get it fixed, I would just send it off to Cartronix knowing that it will come back repaired with better quality components and almost certainly fixed once and for all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back