Ducato Dashboard Display early signs of Failure? (1 Viewer)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I get to see my new mh , this month for the first time, im starting to become concerned after reading about these faults , one would have thought that a company the size of Fiat would have nailed stuff like this

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My 2011 is on it's third and faulty again!!!!!! Now out of warranty.

No it isn't. Each replaced part is new & has EU 2 year gtee , just as it would if you purchased it & fitted it yourself. If it fails in the 2 years then Eu regs come in to play First 6 months dealer has to replace with a new one. Following 18 months remove & return for repair.
Any replaced part has now to have gone a complete 2 years before there is no comeback.
If you get fobbed off use the EU to do the work & help you.

http://ec.europa.eu/eu-rights/enquiry-complaint-form/home?languageCode=en&origin=

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Even before we had ours changed it didn't affect the driving of the vehicle It' seemed to be faulty warning lights as I said earlier mine was showing Abs and water in fuel filter only when cruise control switched on never had trouble with either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We have a 2010 x250 on which the ABS and airbag warning lights glow for a while.
Passed the last 2 MOTs without problem - March 2014 with an advisory "dash light defect suspect wiring fault"
and on the 2015 MOT the tester said he wasn't concerned about the lights.
As long as it continues to pass I see no need to replace anything.

If the lights are on either permanent or sporadic how would you know if a real and genuine fault was present?

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
If the lights are on either permanent or sporadic how would you know if a real and genuine fault was present?

Lights are not on permanently or sporadically, when the ignition is turned on all warning lights come on and then clear except these two which stay on dimly for about 30 seconds and then clear.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Lights are not on permanently or sporadically, when the ignition is turned on all warning lights come on and then clear except these two which stay on dimly for about 30 seconds and then clear.

Right I see.. I thought the problems were more than that ... Not really a problem as such..

I do agree with the member who says these things are not fit for purpose if they are failing often and so should be replaced outside of the standard 3 year warranty.
Our van has 10 months warranty left and I will be keeping an eye on it ...

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
No it isn't. Each replaced part is new & has EU 2 year gtee , just as it would if you purchased it & fitted it yourself. If it fails in the 2 years then Eu regs come in to play First 6 months dealer has to replace with a new one. Following 18 months remove & return for repair.
Any replaced part has now to have gone a complete 2 years before there is no comeback.
If you get fobbed off use the EU to do the work & help you.

http://ec.europa.eu/eu-rights/enquiry-complaint-form/home?languageCode=en&origin=

That's handy to know! Thanks.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
That's handy to know! Thanks.

I think the thing to remember here is that in order to get what is after all an expensive repair done outside of warranty we would have to demonstrate it in this case at least is a very common part failure.
In the case of these instrument clusters I think doing so would be very easy...
After all the fact so many are playing up and/or failing is evidence enough so the manufacturers would not have a leg to stand on.
Sometimes recalls are made. The manufactures are only forced into a recall if it's a safety item or on safety grounds. It could be argued an ABS light remaining on would or could hide a genuine indication of a fault with the ABS system so therefore is a safety issue.
But if the lights are fading out completely after 30 seconds or so the argument is weak so may not stand .

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I get to see my new mh , this month for the first time, im starting to become concerned after reading about these faults , one would have thought that a company the size of Fiat would have nailed stuff like this
Don't worry too much. Fiat will be acutely aware of this issue and it may be sorted well before you take delivery and if it's not you have 3 years from the date of registration of the vehicle.
These parts are very likely produced by a separate company. Sub contract if you like . So the Sub contract producing company will eventually pick up the tab for these replacements ..
They will be working on it and have probably solved it by now .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I found that the warning lights did not fully illuminate they just glowed annoyingly as if they were shorting somewhere only when cruise control engaged.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Spoke to my dealer today, its a well known problem caused by a diode issue. The dealer is not authorised to test and replace the instrument cluster. I have to contact a Fiat dealer to have diagnostics done to prove fault then they will order up and fit a replacement unit under warranty.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
View of the speedo is rubbish, slightly better with the Lockwood dial as KPH figures are in white, older X250 was fine, but that was RHD.

MMMmmmm Not for everyone it seems.

Our van is a very late 2013 (December I think) so if this has the later style dash (Not the very latest van though) it seems this lack of visibility is not that bad for everyone. Im 6.4 in me socks and I have no problems seeing all of the dash cluster. In fact I find the whole thing easy to see read and understand at a glance.

Which is the older and which is the newer dashes you mention ? Our one is RHD by the way.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Mine was changed but NOT under warranty but as a recall. I didn't even have to ask for it to be done as they told me about it.
The best thing to do is take it to Fiat and ask them to check if it is covered.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
MMMmmmm Not for everyone it seems.

Our van is a very late 2013 (December I think) so if this has the later style dash (Not the very latest van though) it seems this lack of visibility is not that bad for everyone. Im 6.4 in me socks and I have no problems seeing all of the dash cluster. In fact I find the whole thing easy to see read and understand at a glance.

Which is the older and which is the newer dashes you mention ? Our one is RHD by the way.
My van was built Feb 2014, Fiat chassis built Dec 2013 x250, dash is very dark & gloomy where the speedo is, OK at night but don't drive the van at night, supp wine & sleep in it.:)
I'm only 5'10" and part of the speedo obscures the speedo & my mate who is 5'11" has real problems, but that is not what is being discussed here, it is the poor visibility due to shadowed corner the speedo sits in and size of numbers on the dial particularly the KPH ones. It's not too bad in a Fiat cab, but in an A Class you have much higher levels of ambient light which exaggerates the problem.
The Mk1 Euro 4 X250's are the ones that don't have this problem.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My van was built Feb 2014, Fiat chassis built Dec 2013 x250, dash is very dark & gloomy where the speedo is, OK at night but don't drive the van at night, supp wine & sleep in it.:)
I'm only 5'10" and part of the speedo obscures the speedo & my mate who is 5'11" has real problems, but that is not what is being discussed here, it is the poor visibility due to shadowed corner the speedo sits in and size of numbers on the dial particularly the KPH ones. It's not too bad in a Fiat cab, but in an A Class you have much higher levels of ambient light which exaggerates the problem.
The Mk1 Euro 4 X250's are the ones that don't have this problem.
Are your headlights the rounded shape ones or the slimmer ones ? In other words is your cab/van the very latest shape ?
I have no idea which years the Mk1 refers too ?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Are your headlights the rounded shape ones or the slimmer ones ? In other words is your cab/van the very latest shape ?
His van is on his avatar Exsis i

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
On my 2013 Mohawk the airbag light came on and stayed on with a very annoying beeping so you don't forget it, took it in and for a diagnostic and it turned out to be the airbag ECU, it was replaced under warranty, it would have been £200 including fitting and VAT

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I found that in our previous van Autotrail Tracker 2013 RHD dash was ok but in our new Exsis I exactly same dash but LHD very difficult to read speedo I'm only 5,7"(short ass) the light hits the dash differently.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ahhhh.................. Well it could be the way the dash is in that vehicle ? Its not the usual type after all. I have no idea what the insides or dashes are like in those A class MHs ..
Exactly the same as a coach built only more space in front as windscreen goes out to very front instead of a bonnet.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Exactly the same as a coach built only more space in front as windscreen goes out to very front instead of a bonnet.

Perhaps the seat position differes ? Maybe reflections from the different architecture ??

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Perhaps the seat position differes ? Maybe reflections from the different architecture ??
Think you may be right but I don't think it is very much,I think that the instruments are the same height but the front dash shelf is lower.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Think you may be right but I don't think it is very much,I think that the instruments are the same height but the front dash shelf is lower.
Alan I don't think it would take much to alter how we view.. Slightly further forward or back and the height of the platform the seat sits on or the seat box itself.. Not sure but curious why I at 6.4 have no problems... (y)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Had my clocks replaced last week under warranty on my 64 plate Autotrail Delaware with fiat base. The only issue i had was the coolant light faintly on which didnt affect the driving. Took it to Fiat dealer and they replaced it no questions asked, took them approx 1 hour.

Had no idea it was an issue till mine went and i started looking on the forums, then you can see just how many there are.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I had this problem last summer van was 6 months old and Fiat repaired no problem. It's been ok until Boxing Day. The van has been in storage for 2 months but as we headed down to Brighton for the week I turned on the cruise control only to see the lights flicker again. Was going to call Fiat this week only on the journey back on Saturday there was no problem. Could the problem be damp through not being used regular. It's going in on Saturday to have replacement near side door mirror but this time I'll have chance to talk to them. I'll let you know what they say

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Charlie trouble is with me my legs aren't very long so can't raise the seat very high cause I can't reach the pedals that's the problem with being vertically challenged the steering wheel moves in and out but that doesn't make much of a difference because if I move the seat back or forward I'm governed by the length of my pins I reckon if the dashboard light stayed on all the time that could be a fix.
As I said in a previous thread I have contacted Fiat who said they are working on it and will contact me when ready to install it I will post as soon as I have a reply but not holding my breath.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Approx 2007 - 2014, lastest vans with slimmer lights are x290. My van has custom Hymer lights.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Alan I don't think it would take much to alter how we view.. Slightly further forward or back and the height of the platform the seat sits on or the seat box itself.. Not sure but curious why I at 6.4 have no problems... (y)
What seats do you have in your van? Both @Speve & myself have Aguti Captins seats with swivel bases I don't know if standard Fiat seats are lower never been in a van with them fitted. If you don't have swivel bases the seats will sit about 1 - 2" lower.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
What seats do you have in your van? Both @Speve & myself have Aguti Captins seats with swivel bases I don't know if standard Fiat seats are lower never been in a van with them fitted. If you don't have swivel bases the seats will sit about 1 - 2" lower.

Our van is a Van Conversion and has swivel captains seats. It's a Peugeot but I think the dashes are the same whether Fiat Peugeot or Citroen. It's a fair bet it's the seats or the positions of them that dictates whether we can see the dash or not.

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
I've had the instrument circuit board changed twice on my 2012 Fiat. The first time I didn't know there was a problem. The Fiat dealer noticed that some of the dash lights were still glowing very dimly after the ignition was turned off, so they ordered the spare and changed it at a later date. The second time I noticed that the high engine temperature light was glowing dimly although the gauge indicated that the temperature was ok. The dealer changed it again and told me that Fiat are now using a different supplier for the circuit boards, so here's hoping it's sorted for good this time. On both occasions it was changed under warranty. Now that the vehicle is out of warranty it's good to know that the new board is covered for 3 years though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back