Free Member
Jun 29, 2013
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ime a Newbie
Hi Just getting used to my Van Its a Niesmann +Bischoff Arto 69 PL A class motor home This is the first one I have owned but we have hired a few times. The Van is based on
Fiat Ducato with the 3000cc engine
registered August 2008
Has the ASR switch on the Dash
Has the 6 speed gearbox
Has completed 19000miles
On our first outing around France I have noted smoke from the clutch 2 times, both when turning the Van and trying to come up a small lip on the side of the road with steering hard over. Obviously concerned about this though the van drives just fine at all other timed.
Reading up I see the problems certain models have on reversing up hill and resultant engine shake. I have not carried out this so can't comment on this.
I have not tried using the ASR as I am still on the learning curve. Should I use this for start off in these situations.
Any advise on the worrying clutch situation. It was a private buy so no warranty to run back to, though I don't intend to have the van back in the UK till around March 2014
We intend to travel Morocco and other mountainous areas with this van
I note problems people have encountered with Computerised clutch control Though I don't know if it's an issue with this set up.
Any comments on the above gratefully rec,
Also What are the relative Mechanical fixing costs in Europe should it require any major surgery

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
ASR

The ASR is on by default,when you press the button and the light comes on it is off. I find it pulls away better on loose stuff with it off.
Clutch smoke is worrying, are you slipping it on a gradient? Not a good idea.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a big job to replace the clutch on the 3.0l ducato x250. takes about 11 hours and in the uk can cost between £1000 and £1600. had mine done a few weeks back on a 2008 year van. mind you i had no waning signs and the clutch plate just shattered, which apparently is a fairly common fault.

getting the work done in morocco may be cheaper on labour, but the parts may be harder to obtain. expect to be without the van for at least one whole day and maybe two or three to get the parts after its stripped down. if i were you, i would order the new clutch and carry it in the van till you either choose to get it repaired or it fails completely. my opinion is get it done before it fails so you can plan the repair and any down time and get best prices at a workshop you choose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Fiat clutch problems

Hi Just getting used to my Van Its a Niesmann +Bischoff Arto 69 PL A class motor home This is the first one I have owned but we have hired a few times. The Van is based on
Fiat Ducato with the 3000cc engine
registered August 2008
Has the ASR switch on the Dash
Has the 6 speed gearbox
Has completed 19000miles
On our first outing around France I have noted smoke from the clutch 2 times, both when turning the Van and trying to come up a small lip on the side of the road with steering hard over. Obviously concerned about this though the van drives just fine at all other timed.
Reading up I see the problems certain models have on reversing up hill and resultant engine shake. I have not carried out this so can't comment on this.
I have not tried using the ASR as I am still on the learning curve. Should I use this for start off in these situations.
Any advise on the worrying clutch situation. It was a private buy so no warranty to run back to, though I don't intend to have the van back in the UK till around March 2014
We intend to travel Morocco and other mountainous areas with this van
I note problems people have encountered with Computerised clutch control Though I don't know if it's an issue with this set up.
Any comments on the above gratefully rec,
Also What are the relative Mechanical fixing costs in Europe should it require any major surgery

Sorry to hear of your problems, it`s actually the gearbox that`s at fault not the clutch.
Unfortunately it`s the clutch that suffers, basically the reverse gear in the euro 4 engines is too high a ratio resulting in excessive revs and as you have experienced under load will burn the clutch out.
19000 miles might not sound like much mileage but others have lost their clutch at much lower distances than this.

Fiat did have a fix for the smaller engines but none for the 3ltr, as I found out when Fiat inspected mine.
Good advice from previous post get a new clutch asap and perhaps you will get it changed cheaper abroad, though it is a labour intensive job.
Some people thought the problem was sorted out by Fiat from 2009, take it from me there are lots of people that have bought a vehicle registered in 2012 and still have the dreaded clutch judder.

To help prevent failure try to keep from reversing up steep hills and definitely keep away from slippery surfaces.

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dave2222001

Free Member
Jun 29, 2013
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ime a Newbie
Cluch fix results

OK folks thanks for the good responses Decided to get it fixed in South Of France Cost 1300 Euros From the computer 11 hrs labour so they use the same program. Van was going in storage so no inconvenience and recommended mechanic. Advice above made up my mind also unable to avoid hills and slippery surfaces as I am a Meander down the back roads kind of guy and avoid the motorways.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back