Ducato Cab Heating

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by makems, May 15, 2014.

1. makems

makems Funster Life Member

We dont normally go anywhere cold enough to require the cab heating on when we are driving, but on our return to the UK recently we needed to warm ourselves up.
    Me, on the passenger side had nice, toasty feet.
    Gwen, on the drivers side still had feet like blocks of ice.
    On feeling with my hand in the footwels, I could feel a nice blast of hot air on the passenger side but nothing on the drivers side.
    The dealer says this is a Fiat Ducato issue and due to the "normal" drivers side being on the left (the passenger side in the UK). This implies Fiat designed the cab without expecting passengers to require warm feet!
    Anybody else had this problem?
    Is this answer correct?

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

How about making a 'diverter', or 'spreader' out of a piece of alloy sheet? You could even hinge pin it at the top, so it will move left/right. The simple way would to locate the alloy plate mid way between the outlet, and angle it to the passenger direction.

3. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

I take it then that your van is left hand drive?

So is mine, a Fiat Ducato also and the foot heating on both sides is brilliant.:BigGrin:

Can't see that having heating on one side of the van is the norm, whatever country the van is set up for.

4. maz

maz Funster

It certainly doesn't sound correct (or even likely :RollEyes:) - and I've never noticed any lack of heat to my tootsies when driving. When you say 'dealer' are we talking motorhome dealer rather than Fiat dealer?

As your van is an A-class while both mine and Spottycatz are coachbuilts, I'm just wondering if this is something to do with Burstner fiddling around with the Ducato dash rather than an actual Fiat problem?

5. makems

our van is a RHD A Class so its possible I suppose that Burstner may have messed about with the cab, but I wuld have thought it unlikely. Everything about the dashboard appears standard Fiat.
    Yes it was the motorhome dealer who gave me the explanation which I find hard to believe hence the question here.
    Anybody got an A class on a Fiat who can confirm whether the heating works properly in the drivers footwell (RHD)?

6. makems

The vans almost new so I dont want to start messing about with it if it should be sorted under warranty.
    To be honest we hardly ever need to use the heating so if I cant get it sorted under warranty Gwen will have to occasionally put up with cold feet!

7. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Possibly one of the flap cables is not set up correct I had this on a Astra van for demisters but I bet its pig to get into to find out

8. JonMac46

JonMac46 Read Only Funster

On my LHD X230 the passenger side is distinctly chilly compared to driver's side.

9. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

if there is an outlet in both foot wells its not ureasonable to expect both to get hot, if its a distribution problem if all else fails partly block the one that works

10. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I think its the dealer that is talking out of the wrong flap:Rofl1:

of course it should heat both sides that was an excuse as they could not be bothered to look

11. keith

keith Funster

Another dickhead of a dealer, never heard such a load of codswallop in my life, where do they find them from? :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Heater

We have an A class Fiat and we are off for a few days in the morning even though the weather is nice here at the moment I will put the heater on to feet and check if both sides are the same. Personallly I think the dealer Bollocks! I will post our answer on Monday :thumb:

13. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

I wouldn't put it past Fiat to only provide heating on the drivers side, my previous PVC didn't have a passenger airbag!! Also, you have to remember, the heater up front is primarily designed for 'white vans' and is going to be severely stretched if asked to do more.

14. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I have a Burstner A Class, and there is no noticeable difference between the left and the right. I would play around with the dial that selects feet, windscreen facia vents and see if you have a even heat from these.

15. makems

Thanks Steve

16. makems

Thanks for that. I have played with the controls and as I posted earlier when heat routed to foot wells hot air only comes out of one side.