Ducato automatic gearbox - good or not? (1 Viewer)

Roger Wilkinson

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
South Lakes
Funster No
MH
Hi-top van conversion
Exp
since 2008
Planning to purchase a new Ducato-based van later this year and we're wondering about having an automatic. Always had manual before, but as we age we find we're getting a little less deft with things like gear changes and I guess we won't be getting any smarter in the future. We hired a car last year with one and were very impressed - technology has advanced since I last drove one decades ago. I've done a bit of research and it seems there were some issues with the Comfort-Matic or whatever they call it in its early days, but couldn't find any recent problems (not to self - never be an early adopter).
I am interested to hear what anyone's experience is, good or bad. Have you had problems? Would you never buy another? Would you never go back to manual? etc etc.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Planning to purchase a new Ducato-based van later this year and we're wondering about having an automatic. Always had manual before, but as we age we find we're getting a little less deft with things like gear changes and I guess we won't be getting any smarter in the future. We hired a car last year with one and were very impressed - technology has advanced since I last drove one decades ago. I've done a bit of research and it seems there were some issues with the Comfort-Matic or whatever they call it in its early days, but couldn't find any recent problems (not to self - never be an early adopter).
I am interested to hear what anyone's experience is, good or bad. Have you had problems? Would you never buy another? Would you never go back to manual? etc etc.
All good with mine, 2015 and will buy same again. Try a search of other posts, many previous discussions (y)

Arewethereyet

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have a 2013 150bhp with comfortmatic box and love it, if I had one comment to make is that they do take a bit of getting used to when making small movements ie inching backwards or forwards up ramps and the such like as it can feel like a either all or nothing, but once you have experienced it a few times you should have no problems (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, we like our comfortmatic gearbox, with standard 2.3l 130hp engine. Van is so much more relaxing to drive. (y)

No problems and wouldn't consider going back to a manual gearbox now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ducato automatic gearbox - good or not?
Good.
No chance of ever going back to manual.
if I had one comment to make is that they do take a bit of getting used to when making small movements ie inching backwards or forwards up ramps and the such like as it can feel like a either all or nothing
... of course you can always knock it into manual for fiddly things, and I always do so on a campsite to keep to low speed limit of around 5mph.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Happy with mine, but it's not old enough to show up any problems. Ask again in a couple of years or so.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We love ours now I have got used to having an elderly man in the cab with me pressing the clutch pedal!

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We love our comformatic gearbox,,and wouldn't go back to a manual now. So relaxed and easy to drive,go for it! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back