Ducato Air Intake (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I noticed that the air intake to the filter is just in front of and close behind the bonnet insulation. Any air entering the intakes has to take a torturous journey through the engine bay and over the inside of the bonnet.
I then noticed that the bonnet has a rubber seal running the length of the bonnet sealing it to the body (and marking the paint)
I have removed this strip and now cool fresh air is driven directly into the intakes, although only through a 5 mm gap. Was this a good idea? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I believe as cool as possible is best for the air intake. If you can also achieve some ram effect it is even better. K&N might have a 'performance' kit listed for your model.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Begs the question why?

By the time the air has passed through the turbo it will be hot enough to dry your hands unless you also have an intercooler fitted which does exactly what you are trying to achieve at the air inlet.

It was designed by men with far more knowledge than you or I.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thanks all for the input.
I hear what you say about the turbo heating the air but there is such a small amount of space to suck any air into the forward facing ducts as they are so close to the bonnet/ insulation. It would have been much better to have the inlets pointing rearward or even up. Or am I missing something?
I cant see any reason why they should have made these ducts, why not just have an inlet pipe on top of the air filter, just like in the good old days.
I don't think rain water is an issue and the filter housing has a drain in the bottom.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back