Ducato Air Intake

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Stealaway, May 24, 2015.

1. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

I noticed that the air intake to the filter is just in front of and close behind the bonnet insulation. Any air entering the intakes has to take a torturous journey through the engine bay and over the inside of the bonnet.
    I then noticed that the bonnet has a rubber seal running the length of the bonnet sealing it to the body (and marking the paint)
    I have removed this strip and now cool fresh air is driven directly into the intakes, although only through a 5 mm gap. Was this a good idea? Any thoughts would be welcome.

2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I believe as cool as possible is best for the air intake. If you can also achieve some ram effect it is even better. K&N might have a 'performance' kit listed for your model.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Begs the question why?

By the time the air has passed through the turbo it will be hot enough to dry your hands unless you also have an intercooler fitted which does exactly what you are trying to achieve at the air inlet.

It was designed by men with far more knowledge than you or I.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Hope you don't get rainwater being driven in through the gap.

5. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Thanks all for the input.
    I hear what you say about the turbo heating the air but there is such a small amount of space to suck any air into the forward facing ducts as they are so close to the bonnet/ insulation. It would have been much better to have the inlets pointing rearward or even up. Or am I missing something?
    I cant see any reason why they should have made these ducts, why not just have an inlet pipe on top of the air filter, just like in the good old days.
    I don't think rain water is an issue and the filter housing has a drain in the bottom.