May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Hi

I have an intermittent problem with the wipers, they occasionally stop when in use, as though parked but at the wrong end of the sweep ie vertically up the screen, they then fail to work for a variable period or until the ignition is turned off and back on again.

Are the wipers controlled by an ecu or is their a micro-switch somewhere, any other ideas?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
wipers

Hi, Bat21 I think youre wipers have become loose on the splines you can check by lifting the cap at the base of the wiper arms when the wipers are working, depending on the condition of the arm socket you can reset and retighten or you may have to replace them completely with new ones:Doh:

OP
OP
WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
Hi, Bat21 I think youre wipers have become loose on the splines you can check by lifting the cap at the base of the wiper arms when the wipers are working, depending on the condition of the arm socket you can reset and retighten or you may have to replace them completely with new ones:Doh:

I wish, when they are not working, the mechanism and linkage are stationary, I think its an electrical fault but, I'm not sure if its in the wiper motor or possibly a relay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would doubt both splines have gone on a 2012 van but I suppose it is possible if the wipers have been forced somehow or they were turned on when the blades were frozen to the windscreen.
Sounds more of an electrical problem. Is the vehicle not still within the 24 month warranty?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bad earth, can bus fault, could be all number of potential issues. as its new enough to still be under warranty, get it fixed by fiat

OP
OP
WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
I would but, the nearest Fiat commercial dealer is 150 miles away, will have a word with Fiat Camper Assist and see what they suggest.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi

I have an intermittent problem with the wipers, they occasionally stop when in use, as though parked but at the wrong end of the sweep ie vertically up the screen, they then fail to work for a variable period or until the ignition is turned off and back on again.

Are the wipers controlled by an ecu or is their a micro-switch somewhere, any other ideas?

I have a similar problem with my wioers when on intermittent mode. Sometimes they stop in the middle of the screen, other times they work properly. On another forum it was suggested that corrosion/verdigris builds up on the connection to the motor and the poster removed the connections, cleaned and sprayed with WD40 and they then worked fine. Going to try this on mine when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Mike

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
WD40 omg wait till Jaws sees this :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
Wow, that was a day and a half!

Phoned Fiat Camper assist who contacted RAC Commercial who sent a local garage, the chap from the local garage had a quick look and said that he thought the problem was the wiper control module but, these were not a standard Fiat Ducato wiper motor and wiring so must have been altered by Hymer. Spoke to Fiat Camper assist who suggested recovery to the nearest Fiat professional dealer which is over 100 miles away, having discussed the situation with several people at Fiat, if the fault was identified as being not a Fiat issue, we would have to pay for the diagnostics and any work undertaken by the dealer and pay to have the vehicle moved to a Hymer dealer for any warrantee repair. This was going to be very inconvenient and potentially very expensive.

The thought of sending my MH away on the back of a truck to an unknown commercial workshop in Glasgow for indeterminate period did not exactly fill me with enthusiasm, it felt like I would be giving unrestricted access to my home to a group of complete strangers!

I then set about trying to establish if the wipers were Fiat or Hymer, I couldn't get hold of a working phone number for Hymer, I am still waiting for a call back from the supplying dealer and our nearest Hymer dealer who have carried out the hab service! So eventually I phoned Brownhills spares department, Keith embarked upon some research but couldn't identify the part so, I removed the module and sent a photo to Brownhills who verified with Hymer that it is indeed a Hymer part and we have now ordered one from Germany. As its only £70 and will take me 5 mins to fit, this will save all the time and hassle of recovery, referral, repair and retrieval.

Praise indeed for Brownhills spares dept and Fiat Camper Assist although they couldn't, they did try. I just hope that the fault is indeed the module:Eeek:

OP
OP
WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
Follow up on this.

The module finally arrived this morning, once fitted, still no wipers.
removed wiper motor, opened up and cleaned the contacts, tried motor before refitting with it lying on the front frame, motor worked, re fitted no wipers. It turns out that the entire episode was down to a bad earth. I have now run a separate earth to the wiper motor body and all works as it should.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well done. A bit of a grey area I suppose when you have a problem - is it a Fiat issue or down to the converter? Pretty easy to tell with a van conversion like mine but a bit more difficult with an A class. I guess legally any problem you have with the vehicle can be put at the door of the supplying dealer as they are the people you have a contract with.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would but, the nearest Fiat commercial dealer is 150 miles away, will have a word with Fiat Camper Assist and see what they suggest.

And worse, you are in the middle of Morocco, a thousand Moroccans could diagnose and fix the simple wiring of a wiper motor, how many of them have CANBUS readers suitable for the job.

Progress, don't you just love it.

The problem is part new technology and part implementation, they could let us see what is going on but they choose not to so you get to pay expensive garage calls.

Do any of the new vehicles with full blow PC user interfaces have a user friendly display of logged faults ? I don't know, but they all should. We pay for the damned vehicles.

OP
OP
WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
Hi Brian,

You can use an OBD reader to read the recorded faults but, they are in code so, you need to know the manufacturers fault codes, not really user friendly.

ruffcutt

Free Member
May 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Hi

ruffcutt

Free Member
May 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Hi I’ve got the exact same problem with my deffleths on a fiat chassis 2012 I will try an earth wire and see if it works on mine thanks for the good posting kind regards ruffcutt

Blujay

Free Member
Sep 27, 2022
UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato self build.
Exp
3 years full time vanlifer
Hi Brian,

You can use an OBD reader to read the recorded faults but, they are in code so, you need to know the manufacturers fault codes, not really user friendly.
Google the fault codes, it really is that simple.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back