Ducato 2.8iTD owners/experts - First Gear No Power (1 Viewer)

Drylander

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Hello all, but especially to any Fiat Ducato 2.8iTD owners/experts.

This is a case of ‘There, but for the grace of God, go I……

A correspondent from elsewhere has a similar 2001 model Swift Gazelle F63 to me, with the above Engine. His has 25k on the clock and he has owned it for at least many months.

I have not experienced his particular symptoms but when attempting hills in first gear he has a Very Poor performance, otherwise she generally seems OK.

So far he has:

Had his injectors checked and the fuel filter changed - no effect.

Used a garage recommended diesel cleaner/additive - that seemed to improve matters but only for the first 20 miles afterwards.

I do not know whether his exhaust smoke is clear/blue or black but would assume for now that it is neither of the latter two ( ie Oil being burned or burned fuel) otherwise that smoke would have given the garages involved so far their clue.

As he lives in the flatlands of ‘East Angular’ he has lived with/around this problem for some time but he has apparently not yet found a garage in the Gt. Yarmouth area with a large enough workshop or who could help him.

(As I type, I think I will have to ask him to look for commercial Garages - but then even the local Comm. Garage I use in my area does not have a ramp long enough for this long wheel base F63 Model…..)

How can you help?

If anyone has recovered from this particular symptom - could you please furnish their experiences & their final solution?

Anyone with recommendations of a suitable Commercial/Fiat diesel expert around Gt. Yarmouth would be appreciated, too.

I shall inform him that I have passed this on to all at Motorhome Fun and encourage him to register here.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bob

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Sorry Drylander,

Although we've got the same engine, we've not got the same problem.
However, this will bump the thread back to the top for a while. :winky:

Jock.

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
could be turbo lag geos yer man:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Hi Drylander,
A bit more info would help such as The lack of power. does it miss fire, or is it just flat. Does it happens in first gear only, and is this because of high revs. Or troublesome in other gears maybe not so much? Not sure if its a common rail engine, as had a prob myself with a injector lead under a cover rubbing and breaking down. Although a computer link up would show this to be so, and assume garage has done this already. Is the tank cap air hole clear? or very rairly a rubber pipe has been replaced with a softer rubber. this can cause it to close up under suction pressure at high rev's. Not very likely but worth a look. How about a coupling on the fuel system sucking in a little air at high rev's. Not enough to stall the engine, but just play up. I had a perkins 4108 diesel engine years ago with a similar problem. Not much power, and eventually found the engine timing was a touch out on one of the cogs. Hope this is of help, and do tell us what they find eventually. Rgd's Graham.

OP
OP
Drylander

Drylander

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Hello and good Morning to: JockandRita, thefman, Hogan and Tiderus.

Thanks very much to each of you for your responses.

As my corresponding friend is not currently able to access this site, I have copied and pasted each of your replies and winged them all in his direction.

Not easy to fault-find like this, but at least he now has a little more to think about.

I will return here to update you when I hear more news, unless he has registered here and posted his own reply by then.

All the very best & Thanks again

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back