Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Went to start my 2002 Autotrail with the Fiat 2.8 ltr engine yesterday and it did not fire up as normal. Usually it start first time without problem but this time it just turned over without firing. I noticed a clicking noise which I presume is an electric pump sending fuel to the engine. I then tried turning the key and letting the clicking go on for around 10 seconds then turning the key more to engage the starter this time it started OK. Question is this the start of a problem that I should be getting fixed?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Went to start my 2002 Autotrail with the Fiat 2.8 ltr engine yesterday and it did not fire up as normal. Usually it start first time without problem but this time it just turned over without firing. I noticed a clicking noise which I presume is an electric pump sending fuel to the engine. I then tried turning the key and letting the clicking go on for around 10 seconds then turning the key more to engage the starter this time it started OK. Question is this the start of a problem that I should be getting fixed?
Probably the fuel had just filtered back to the tank because it hadn't been used for a while..

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Probably the fuel had just filtered back to the tank because it hadn't been used for a while..
Yes I agree, but also in the position you had the key the glow plugs will have been on which will have helped start a cold engine. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Did start the engine the day before but only run it for a very short time just to move 20 ft. would this have affected anything?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Might be worth checking your battery voltage..
Clicling noise would be more a relay possibly glow plug or pump relay ,if it has a lift pump would be more of a whirring/hum if you can hear it.
I know fuel can drain back but it shouldn't if all is tight ie filter housing and connections..
Andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back