Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Went out to start my 2003 Fiat 2.8 up yesterday, nothing just a slow turnover then nothing?
Opened bonnet noticed the earth (Neg) lead was loose on terminal tightened up with no joy. Still not tight, so bought a new plug fitted it, battery still flat, so put jump leads on
got it going.
How on earth do you get this out (battery) there are so many nuts attached to the live :cry:
Its so tight in there, is it a garage job? Certainly need some advise please.

Regards Doddy

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
If it's like mine, there is effectively a 'break out' box on the top of the +ve terminal, to which all your extra wires and such are connected.

This is attached to the +ve terminal by a conventional clamp bolt, which is all you have to remove (along with the -ve lead of course) before removing the battery. (the 'break out' box lifts off)

Sounds easy doesn't it. Unfortunately it is a pig to get to the clamp bolt (remove the negative lead before even attempting, in order to avoid shorts), there then isn't a lot of room to manouvre the 'box' off the terminal, and then you have to lift an extremely heavy battery with no room to manouvre, and at arms length.

I've done mine, so no it isn't a garage job, but expect a bit of pain :Sad:

OP
OP
Doddy999

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Thanks Robin looks like a trip to m8s garage. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Bit of a wiggle, and take your power steering bottle off for more room - only two bolts, let it sit there. The battery will come out then!:thumb:

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
I went to a garage and they replaced it!! seemples - Make sure you have your radio code to hand and also details of your vehicle immobiliser - just in case).

Ian

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I'm sure that there is a couple of variations on the lay out of the Ducato 2.8, my own Ducato 2.8 2002 model has a battery that is a real pig to remove but I do it twice a year to check the electrolyte levels, I have never seen such difficult arrangement on a item that requires regular maintenance.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back