Ducato 2.8 Battery Problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Doddy999, May 27, 2010.

1. Doddy999

Doddy999 Read Only Funster

Went out to start my 2003 Fiat 2.8 up yesterday, nothing just a slow turnover then nothing?
    Opened bonnet noticed the earth (Neg) lead was loose on terminal tightened up with no joy. Still not tight, so bought a new plug fitted it, battery still flat, so put jump leads on
    got it going.
    How on earth do you get this out (battery) there are so many nuts attached to the live :cry:
    Its so tight in there, is it a garage job? Certainly need some advise please.

Regards Doddy

2. Robinhood

Robinhood Read Only Funster

If it's like mine, there is effectively a 'break out' box on the top of the +ve terminal, to which all your extra wires and such are connected.

This is attached to the +ve terminal by a conventional clamp bolt, which is all you have to remove (along with the -ve lead of course) before removing the battery. (the 'break out' box lifts off)

Sounds easy doesn't it. Unfortunately it is a pig to get to the clamp bolt (remove the negative lead before even attempting, in order to avoid shorts), there then isn't a lot of room to manouvre the 'box' off the terminal, and then you have to lift an extremely heavy battery with no room to manouvre, and at arms length.

I've done mine, so no it isn't a garage job, but expect a bit of pain :Sad:

3. Doddy999

Doddy999 Read Only Funster

Thanks Robin looks like a trip to m8s garage. :BigGrin:

4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Bit of a wiggle, and take your power steering bottle off for more room - only two bolts, let it sit there. The battery will come out then!:thumb:

5. lookback

lookback Read Only Funster

I went to a garage and they replaced it!! seemples - Make sure you have your radio code to hand and also details of your vehicle immobiliser - just in case).

Ian

6. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I'm sure that there is a couple of variations on the lay out of the Ducato 2.8, my own Ducato 2.8 2002 model has a battery that is a real pig to remove but I do it twice a year to check the electrolyte levels, I have never seen such difficult arrangement on a item that requires regular maintenance.

Doug...