Dual Solar Regulator or Battery Master... (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all

On my current van I have a solar panel with a dual battery regulator. One output charges the leisure batteries and one charges the vehicle battery - this keeps both topped up and works really well.

On my new van (getting it on Tuesday) the solar panel regulator only has a single output to the leisure battery so doesn’t keep the van battery topped up.

Instead of buying a new regulator with a dual output and wiring it to the vehicle battery, am I correct in thinking that installing a Battery Master would do exactly the same thing, plus give me a bonus of keeping the vehicle battery topped up whilst on EHU when there is no sun as we alway keep the van plugged in at home.

Richard

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I never bother plugging in at home now. My dual battery solar regulator and panels keeps every thing fully topped up nicely, even in winter.
Hopefully this scheme should be all you need.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I never bother plugging in at home now. My dual battery solar regulator and panels keeps every thing fully topped up nicely, even in winter.
Hopefully this scheme should be all you need.
I have a 170w panel on my caravan and also remain plugged in at home.
For reasons unknown the garage supply, which feeds the hook up, tripped.
It was a few weeks (mid winter) before I realised it was on solar only and the battery had fully discharged....not enough sun for long enough..
The only item running constantly on the battery is the tracker unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As my van is just by the front door I do tend to look in on it at least once a week.
But I am surprised it went flat with 170W of solar. I have 250W but it if its covered in snow for weeks no doubt it might be a problem. Although I leave nothing on, not even the alarm. You would have to be highly motivated to nick from where it is.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ah, snow.....I remember that stuff, white and cold but I haven't seen any worth speaking of for the last 3 winters.

Ok, my battery may have seen better days but it has plenty of reserve to run the motormover when needed for 10 mins at a time.
the solar just didn't cut the mustard this winter.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Hi all

..... am I correct in thinking that installing a Battery Master would do exactly the same thing, plus give me a bonus of keeping the vehicle battery topped up whilst on EHU when there is no sun as we alway keep the van plugged in at home.

Richard

Yes you are right. Not done it myself, but I believe it is easy to install, as long as you have easy access to Vehicle and Hab battery positive feeds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes you are right. Not done it myself, but I believe it is easy to install, as long as you have easy access to Vehicle and Hab battery positive feeds.

It can be any permanently live feeds.

The split charge relay is usually a good place because you have all the feeds you need all in the same place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back