Drying advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gayle99, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Gayle99

Gayle99

Hi, Mick and Gayle from Scotland
    We have spent months researching choosing and buying a motorhome and have finally taken the plunge. We have just bought a two year old Swift Bolero and think its fantastic. But obviously at this time of year the weather isn't great and I'm having trouble drying towels between showers. Also anticipating lots of wet doggie towels too. Has anyone got any advice on the best way to dry wet towels, coats etc. I've been looking for an airer that would fit in the washroom but can't find anything that might fit. Is this the best solution anyway?

2. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Hello,

@jezport sells a brilliant dryer with 6 arms that has a very strong sucker that sticks to the cab window. You fix it by turning a lever and it really does hold fast to the glass.

Also, have you thought of getting microfibre towels. They come in all sizes and dry extremely quickly

• Like Like x 1
  3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Use microfibre towels - they dry incredibly quickly - eg Lifeventure are brilliant - loads of different sizes & take up very little space. They're nice & soft, but don't expect warm & fluffy!
    http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/departments/CleaningAndWashing/Towels.aspx
    (other suppliers are available - we buy from Cotswold Outdoors for ease)

http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/blog/lifeventure-travel-towel-review/

We go for Lifeventure Softfibre - lifetime antibacterial something or other keeps them remarkably fresh all things considered, hang them outside whenever possible they only need 5 minutes or so to dry. If we're moving on they just hang up either on the coathooks or in the shower.
    We found the Lifeventure Microfibre quickly got a bit whiffy so that one got relegated to the bin.

Sometimes we hang things in the shower room & put the heating on full blast, but close off all the vents except the one in the shower room - works quite quickly too! (not sure I'd want to do this with doggy towels though ....)

• Like Like x 1
  4. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I sometimes use a flannel or a J Cloth to give myself a "pre-dry". You can just ring it out when it gets wet. Once you have removed the surface water, so to speak, the towel can be used to finish off and it won't get very wet.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

as done on boats/submarines, same as the water saving shower so less to dry

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Pretty much as DBK says, easier to use a flannel/small hand towel to dry off first and then a final 'buffing' with a full size one if needs be. The flannel will be wetter but as it's small it's much easier to hang up somewhere out of the way to dry and the larger towel won't take long as it's only just got a little bit damp. An alternative is a microfibre mit to dry off, either the ones for kiddies or for cars!

As for the dogs we use kiddies towels - the ones that are usually square with a 'hood' bit on the corner, they are lightweight and you can just hang them on the door mirrors with the 'hood' bit whenever you stop, that way they are soon dry and usable again. Below is Lily with her 'favourite' kiddy towel being dried off ... she LOVES being dried off!

Lily being dried (2).jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. Gayle99

Gayle99

Thanks everyone..... sounds like it's the shower that needs reinventing. We've a lot to learn!

9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We just hang our towels on the rail in the shower.
    We leave the rooflight in the shower slightly open. The updraught of warm air from the heating dries the towels whilst ensuring the wet air is expelled through the roof light.
    Wet ski gear goes into the heated and vented wardrobe. It comes out bone dry and toasty warm every morning.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheBig1

not reinventing, just relearning
    get wet----water off
    soap & shampoo-----water on
    rinse and water off

there is only a limited amount of water in the van, even less is hot. done right and you can shower a couple 3 or 4 times(days) from a tankful. saves having to refill daily plus less wasted water to dry up. and you get just as clean

11. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

Microfibre towels one of the best things we bought for the van

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

We learned this trick from full timers: when you shower stand in a washing up bowl. The water left in the bowl can be used to finish off those bits you missed while standing under the shower and do a more thorough foot wash. When you've done most of the water can be poured neatly down the drain instead of, if you are on a slope especially, flooding all the shower compartment. If you've got a handy drain close to the van you can even pour it away there later.

We have a Brabantia extending clothes line in the shower room. Came as standard with the van and very handy indeed as it has 4 lines that stretch the length of the area. As said above, hang towels etc on that, turn on the heating and open the top roof vent and things dry very quickly. On sunny days. if we are going out, I also hang the towels from the hooks over the cab doors and peg one end together in the centre. They then prevent anyone seeing into through the windscreen and dry in the sun.
    See:

http://tinyurl.com/o6hlh6e

13. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ideal I find is a bar towel (Poachers ale :)) to pre dry ,also have 12 stitched together since 198? For use as a beach towel (y)

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I have a length of washing line with hooks on the end (they are off snapped bungee cords) which I hook over of the handles over the cab doors which creates a hanging area, I also have a travel washing line, like 2 pieces of elasticated cord with hooks on either end which I use as well as the benefit of this is that the 'twist' enables items to be slotted in between and holds them as you would if you used pegs. The one I have is the same as the white one below but there's on in the link I've given which is identical just a different colour and you can't argue at the price!

[​IMG]

http://www.traveloutdoors.co.uk/tra...e7T1oFx8b7EzRe2oeYCeKpMS_YeioNOf9ThoCh_3w_wcB

The beauty of the latter is that it we have it in the cab and want to set off but the stuff isn't dry, I can just remove it with all the stuff on and hook it in the rear over the bed whilst we travel!

15. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Wet coats and boots/shoes go in the shower, an expanding rail in the shower does the trick for wet coats.
    I made a liner out of plastic covered thick cardboard for the shower floor (to protect it) and the boots /shoes go on that in the shower.
    Normal towels went out the door and we use Microfibre towels from Mountain Wharehouse(or elsewhere) they are good, we hang them on the back of the swivel driver & passenger chairs. We don't shower everyday probably only every 3 or 4 days in between times we strip wash with a flannel or two, less drying!
    The dog has two Microfibre towels!
    We use a small oil-filled radiator when on hookup and this gets pressed into action for drying, we have a place we can hang a multi peg dryer and get the heater underneath it, or even put it in the shower with all the wet stuff!

16. TerryL

TerryL Funster

We do much as stated above. But in an "emergency" I fit the awning stretcher pole across the cab, it sits nicely on the two storage pockets, and use the lightweight clothes hangers. It's okay for overnight when we're not using that space.

17. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I wish hubby would think like you. It's the full works every morning, big towel, lots of water and a super wet bathroom.

18. TheBig1

the more water running down the walls in the bathroom and soaking wet towels inside, the greater the risk of a damp motorhome

19. lorger

lorger Funster

we use microfibre towels and they dry easy

20. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I use a large bath towel, Mrs A uses a towelling dressing gown. We put them under the bed next to the Truma heater and they are dry in a couple of hours if we have hot water or heating on. We also put damp clothes after washing them in there to dry them.
    If they aren't too wet we put them over the heated towel rail in the bathroom if we have the heating on.