Dropbox or what ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bart, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Bart

Bart Funster

I'm looking somewhere "safe" note the way i use that word loosely , as no where is safe
    to store scanned copies of the likes of passports etc so we could access them in an emergency if needed while away in the MH.
    whats my best option.... ohh btw did i mention it must be free :D :D

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Under the bed.

#cybersafe

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Mine are on my phone and on a laptop.

Encrypted.

4. Figaro

Figaro Funster

What about emailing them to yourself ?

KISS - keep it simple stupid

(no offence intended)

• Like Like x 2
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you use an Android device just scan and save as .jpg files and back them up to Google photos. There are many other cloud type options but this route is easy. And free. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

one simple but fairly secure way is to register a domain name and pay to host it. You can use the site for a blog or photos etc. but upload the private documents after securing with a password using winrar etc. then save a direct link to the documents, nobody else will see them or know they even exist in your webspace. you can then access in any browser

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vanman

Vanman Funster

If you had a network storage device on your home system, you may be able to leave a password protected port open to access all your stuff remotely. Another security risk, but as you say nothing is 100% safe especially if it's held remotely on somebody elses server - or the cloud as they like to sell it. Of course we could have ham and eggs for breakfast, if we had ham ... and eggs ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bart

Bart Funster

But the bed will be my MH , which will most likely ok been stolen at the time I would need the back up copies :)
    Thanks

Idd be worried if I kept them on my phone then I lost my phone or it got stolen.
    But this looks the best option so far.

Another possible option.. how long does "unread mail" stay on a server before it gets deleted . Or does it just stay there untill picked up by the client ?

9. Figaro

Figaro Funster

It's there until you delete it.
    Make a separate folder to move it to and keep it there with scans of all your important docs.
    Available from anywhere [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It can be both. My main email downloads off the server, stores locally and erases the server. There is a setting so I can leave it on the server.

11. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Dropbox is about the best thing to use.

It's accessible anywhere in the world on any device as long as you have an internet connection, it's secure as long as you follow proper password behaviour and it isn't likely to be deleted by mistake or by server maintenance as an email could be regardless of what settings you choose.

The above would also apply to almost any other cloud based service - iCloud, GoogleDrive or MS OneDrive would be other options.

Dropbox is free up to 16GB so you have plenty of space. If you need more then just register another free account with a different email address. A friend of mine has about 20 so far.

You can also get an app for whatever flavour of device you prefer for ease of access.

Personally I don't think keeping stuff like that, or anything else important, on a single physical device of any description is a good idea. If you lose or break the device then you're knackered.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I'd concentrate on making the MH unstealable asa British citizen you don't need a passport to enter the UK, ( you need one to leave though? ) just need to be able to prove who you are.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Is it ??? I've only got a measly 2.5GB free - after that they want £79 for "Premium".

14. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

To be honest that's what I thought it was but if you Google Dropbox Free then they claim that you can get 16GB.

It might be something like bonus space for inviting friends or something like that I suppose.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Langtoftlad

Yes, that's it. Basic 2GB free, then extra space for jumping through hoops - but the 16GB is only achieved if you sign up 32 others at 500mb bonus each time.

Anyway, all that is irrelevant to the OP
    2GB is plenty for documents, some photos or Pdf files.
    You can get apps for your phone or tablet to sync your files.
    You can share your folders or specific files with someone else eg a partner, so if you lose all your gadgets, they still have access.

Dropbox does seem to be a simple offsite backup solution, accessible anywhere from any computer - secure as long as your password is unique & strong
    I guess if you're worried about Dropbox or any other cloud service being hacked you could always "zip" the folder & protect that with yet another password.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bart

Bart Funster

Ive got 50gb on my dropbox for free ,, only used 126mb ... so far lol,,, i am sure i got like 50gb free at some time ,,possibly something to do with an offer.
    i turned on that two step verification last night for drop box,, that means you must enter the 6 digit number that gets texted to your phone.
    yet the app on my phone never needed it ,so i thought that was a bad idea , and deleted the app.

17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I use dropbox extensively. I use Two-Step Verification this makes it as safe as it can be. When travelling I ensure that scanned copies of licenses, passports, insurance, tickets etc are uploaded to Dropbox and for additional security the files are individually password protected. I have good quality colour prints of all those documents, and they are kept in the glove box. The originals hidden away unfindable in the van. (y)

18. Langtoftlad

Samsung I bet... ;)
    When I was looking at why I only had a couple of gigs when @NickNic suggested 16gb, I came across a hack for the "Samsung Offer".

Now have to find out about this 2 step verification... I use it with PayPal.
    Not that the files I have there need security.

• Like Like x 1
  19. houdini

houdini Funster

How about sending to a close relative who could email it to you if needed? :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Try Evernote, you can sync between your phone and your laptop so you have access everywhere and if you only have the basic version its free. Your notes are spread into notebooks which you create yourself as you wish, there is also a free app called scrabble which allows you to scan anything into evernote. I use this to scan receipts which s very handy since you always have them on hand is case of dispute.

• Like Like x 1