Drop down legs

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by Feltwell, May 9, 2016.

1. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

With 2 adults & 3 kids in our van, drop down legs to stop it moving about really help, not mention stopping the sea sickness feeling in a storm! The legs that came with the van as standard were rubbish - a pain to deploy (they were under the van and meant groveling around on your knees on the ground, not great on a wet campsite field), but also because the didn't wind down in any way you couldn't put any pre-load on them - so as the van moved around they'd push the jack pads into the ground if it was soft.

They'd also creep up and retract a bit in high winds as the van moved, so by the morning they were 1/2" off the ground and doing very little. To finish it off they were mounted onto the aluminium garage floor, not a great place to put stress on the van.

For anyone wanting to fit legs, although this involved some effort it's worked out really well. I managed to get some Al-Ko Steady Legs from German Ebay for a good price - Ebay.de is well worth a look for motorhome bits, I've had all sorts off there. These steady legs bolt straight onto an Al-Ko chassis but my van has the standard Fiat Maxi chassis.

However, with a couple of bits of L shaped steel and a plate welded on the end, you can make brackets to very securely fit the legs to the rear spring hangers, through holes that are already there - a very strong part of the chassis. This then puts the legs near the outside of the van and just behind the rear wheels - mudflaps stop them catching the worst of the road crud. They work a treat, very quick & easy to use, you can wind them down hard enough to put some pre-load on them, and no groveling on the ground!

DSCN5151.JPG
    DSCN5153.JPG DSCN4851.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Sh*t.............. is your van really that clean underneath !!

(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

:) Not for long - I'd had it rustproofed only a couple of months before that picture was taken, so it was still black & shiny! And the spare tyre was new.

I can hardly be bothered to clean the bits of the van that you can see, let alone underneath!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChristineandJohn

ChristineandJohn Funster

Have to agree. We now have them on our Bailey, it's a very quick job as the Alko chassis is predrilled.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There are similar legs on our van. I cut a old (sturdy) plastic chopping board in two and drilled holes for "handles" made from some old electrical flex. I put those under the legs on anything other than flat hard standing. The "handles" make them easy to retrieve.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Have you got a link to them for anyone else?

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Chopping boards are available in many shops Andy :LOL::sneaky:

On the other hand, you could get results for the legs by Googling <wind down steady legs> :D

8. Techno

Not on Amazon/ebay de I don't think

9. ChristineandJohn

ChristineandJohn Funster

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Try Here.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Techno

12. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

£375 + fitting :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Got a pair of Alko steadies + winding handle in my garage which will be for sale.
    Now had E&P levelling system fitted so not now needed. Used less than half a dozen times I should think.
    Can't sell them at the mo as we are in France but if anyone wants to make an offer for them and wait a month they could be yours. (y)

Richard.

14. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

I would be interested
    you have a pm

15. Cavs

Cavs Funster

I've just taken the steady legs off my Alko chassis (also because I've fitted hydraulic levellers). They'll be for sale when I've cleaned them up a bit, in case anyone's interested.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Petest

Petest Funster

How about these ones as alternatives

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

They're not dissimilar to the ones I took off. Apart from the need to grovel on your knees under the van to deploy them, the main problem was not being to put any pre-load on them to push down on the ground. If you always stay on hard standing it might not be so bad.

I however found them to be better than nothing, but not much! Previous owners of my van clearly agreed, as they were seized in the up position when I bought it, didn't look like they'd been used for a very long time.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  18. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

For the legs? I paid less than half that, including shipping from Germany, and they were new. Admittedly I suspect I hit lucky, I think they were a cancelled order from a dealer. Keep an eye on German and UK Ebay, more may come up, secondhand or new. If you've got an Al-Ko chassis with the pre-drilled holes then fitting them should be extremely simple, literally a 5 minute job that anyone who can lay on the ground and do up 4 nuts with a spanner could tackle!

The complicated bit in my case was not having an Al-Ko chassis, so needing to fabricate heavy duty brackets to attach them to the Fiat chassis.

• Like Like x 2