Drivng recorder

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by keith, Sep 16, 2011.

1. keith

keith Funster

Driving recorder

Just been viewing the above idea that records through the wind screen so that in case of accident or foolish driving you have proof of the event.

It seems to me it could be the very thing to have when touring abroad and the robbers try to stop and rob you.

2. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

And proof of a GAS attack :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

They are very good, my electronics company supply these f(a pro version)for use in taxis etc. They work by recording to an SD card digitally, so are easily transferred onto a lap top, and then e-mailed to your insurer.

Many have the ability to look into the cab as well, which is great if you are unfortnate enough to have the van intruder. They log any accident using g-force, and have panic record buttons, should you wish to hit that. You can also have on constant record which is written over ever 28 days.

Anything held on the secure memory is not overwritten (accidents/misses/panic recording) Also works well if you just want a recording of your drive through the alps or whatever to show your friends later (if you take a spare SD card should you be going away for more than 28 days)

Stay away from the high priced ones, but DONT buy cheap sub standard quality!! - they are getting more affordable now. It wasn't long ago that these systems were in excess of £1500 - we now retail them at £299 - so that is quite a drop! Though the expensive ones are out there still, the cheaper good quality ones are the ones to go for!....just be wary of the 'too cheap' options as you will have old mobile phone standard of blur!

4. JJ

JJ Funster

Looks like a great gadget... and gives proof of inside overtaking...:Eek!:

JJ :Cool:

5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

They do sound good.

Do they pick up sound as well?

If so I would have to tone down my expletives when some idiot cuts me up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

I have had one in my windscreen for a long while, as said works on g force mine also works on sudden movement a good bump in the road will do this, mine is older tech and has no sound.

All the best Rick

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Thats what I need then!:Blush:

8. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

I have a matching pair - one in front is GPS enabled - and the one at the rear simply records what is happening behind me. I use them primarily when doing research on new sites for the BPG.

I can't remember everything I see and do on a drive into a site - but the cameras do - so when I get home, I simply sit and watch my journey.

They are, of course, extremely helpful as 'crash' cameras - not that I've needed that facility yet - and also as speed recorders, so if I get picked up by a speed camera, I can either prove their readings - or disprove them as the case may be - and thankfully, I haven't had to use that facility either!

Mine cost somewhere in the region of £400 for the pair permanently wired into the Ignition system - complete with a pair of 8GB SD cards.

Dick

9. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Wow, Keith, they sound great. I wish I had had one on my journey to Ilfracombe.. Can they be moved around the van or are they fixed once in place, please?

10. keith

keith Funster

Not sure but click on the link in the OP to see all the details Joy.

I did see it has sound that can be turned off.

11. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Mine can be used in any Vehicle with a 12v outlet and even came with two mounting brakets.

All the best Rick

12. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

The ones I deal with can come as plug and play, so could be moved around the van, though usually we hard wire them. You have a choice, though.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvai6dD8d_4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

13. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

I use these, one front, one rear. Not as fully featured as the dearer ones, video with time and date stamp recording all time only. Slightly wider angle field of view than the cylindrical ones you see that are very often used by cyclists.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Vehicule-Car-Mini-Appareil-photo-DVR-Video-T1-/250739089827?pt=FR_JG_Photo_Cam%C3%A9scopes&hash=item3a6136e1a3

I did not buy them from this supplier, i got them from a Hong Kong site (after recommendation)

see video in the link here
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2010/12/26/car-windscreen-hd-video-camera-review.html

14. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Just acquired one from ebay won for £21.01 :thumb: same as the post above (thanks Grumps for the link)
    very impressed so far, good view nice and clear
    tried it with an old 256mb card i had knocking around
    looking now to get a bigger one what sort of time recording will say an 8Mb or 16Mb card hold
    whats the best class type, will a 4 do or must it be a class 10 :RollEyes:

15. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

I think the techmoan guy gives advice on recording times. I know the original one I tried did a 2 hour run, and I felt I wanted something to record about 4 hours, I will need to check and not at home at present.
    I went for the class 10 because i wanted to have the ability to use them in my camcorder as an alternative.

16. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Good god with my driving i wouldn't want it recorded:Doh::RollEyes::Rofl1:

17. rangitira

rangitira Funster

With tongue firmly in cheek;

How long before some A hole says they are infringing his/her Human Rights because you are "invading his/her right to Privacy and freedom of expression" (to drive like an idiot):Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

:Laughing::Laughing: doesn't apply to private individuals (yet - and no plans to affect private individuals at present)

I use it because too many others (criminals) invade my privacy and freedom, and I want evidence of it when needed. The most recent crew dealt with for motor insurance scams netted millions of pounds - and some of the hotspots are close to me and where I travel through a lot. They get fitted in my car when I go into those areas, but I really try to avoid those areas like the plague.

If they only save me my no claims bonus they have done well.

Yes, those questioning if they are a bad driver (tongue in cheek) do have to be aware that once something happens and is recorded on it - no matter what, it can and probably will be seized as evidence, and even used against you.

I have noticed I do drive even more carefully when its in and working.

19. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I am hoping that it clearly shows up those that have "stolen" my stopping distance, its a long way for 7.5 tons and the idiots who pass, pull in and brake are asking for a rear ender, of course it will be my fault wont it:RollEyes:
    Not when its on film it wont:thumb:
    Also the motorway slip roaders they hang back,fart about and then go for it often to late for comfort
    I will have it set to ignore my bad driving:Cool:
    Geo

• Like Like x 1
  20. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Whilst not decrying the usefulness of these recorders,
    is the "evidence" provided by these things acceptable in a court?
    I'm thinking of greed cameras, etc, which I understand must be properly calibrated and set up at regular intervals.
    Essentially this is a bit of CCTV kit?

• Like Like x 1