Driving to portugal via santandar (1 Viewer)

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Looking at going on ferry from pompy to Santandar and then onward to Chickenun near Faro Portugal with 38' RV, looking to go via Valladolid, Salamanca, Caseres, Seville, Huelva and into Portugal with no tolls?????, or do i go via Portugal and tolls, any comments please. (JJ Possible) Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looking at going on ferry from pompy to Santandar and then onward to Chickenun near Faro Portugal with 38' RV, looking to go via Valladolid, Salamanca, Caseres, Seville, Huelva and into Portugal with no tolls?????, or do i go via Portugal and tolls, any comments please. (JJ Possible) Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Hi Garry ,,

we did the run in the RV going via Valladolid, Salamanca, Caseres, Seville, Huelva..

not much help but will hopefully get a reply from someone who has done it both ways..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have always prefered Portugal to Spain.
I would go Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Portugal (Vila Formosa) A23 motorway to near Lisbon and then the (good) non toll road to Faro.

They have just (or are about to) made the A23 a toll road. The cameras photographs your number plate and sends you the bill to your home. I asked my driver friend what happens to a UK vehicle and the reply was "You don't pay." This matches the advice I was given several months ago from the motorway authorities...

My Hymer is Portuguese registered... Looks like the (v
ery) slow route for me...

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Just be careful that you don't park overnight on the rest areas of Portuguese toll roads. They charge you maximum fees if you stay for more than 12 hours. We did something like a 50 mile trip with an overnight on a rest area and got ripped off for 40 euros.

Of course it is mentioned in the terms and conditions but if your fluency in Portuguese is not quite up to the mark you might just miss it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,i would go to caceres then across to badajoz ,then elvas .on to evora .down to beja then down to faro. you can just about doit on non motorway roads all the way. we do it in the mini artic along with friends all in trucks . much nicer roads . lots of free parking along the way and you really will enjoy it .
have done it from near sagres to santander once and bust the gear box near badajoz only had 4th gear from then on .only no reverse just 4th . took 16hrs but we couldnt go fast and struggled to start from fuel stops but we did it . didnt want to be on main roads or motorways as i didnt have recovery . no mates with us so just drove and drove. not recommended really but you will find it a lovely road. have fun we do . cheers alan.
when we got to plymouth a mate pulled us home on a strap. 7.5 ton man pulling my artic both loaded but again we made it . luckily he was in north spain so came across with us . clutch packed up leaving plymouth . how it got all that far i dont know . there must be someone up there helping us.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have always prefered Portugal to Spain.
I would go Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Portugal (Vila Formosa) A23 motorway to near Lisbon and then the (good) non toll road to Faro.

They have just (or are about to) made the A23 a toll road. The cameras photographs your number plate and sends you the bill to your home. I asked my driver friend what happens to a UK vehicle and the reply was "You don't pay." This matches the advice I was given several months ago from the motorway authorities...

My Hymer is Portuguese registered... Looks like the (v
ery) slow route for me...

JJ

Why not slap a pair of brit plates on for the journey ? :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
But.. but..... so does the UK AND Argentina.. and moneys spent on tolls mean less disposable income to splurge on FB products :Eeek:
You are just not looking at the bigger picture JJ

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
hi ,i would go to caceres then across to badajoz ,then elvas .on to evora .down to beja then down to faro. you can just about doit on non motorway roads all the way. we do it in the mini artic along with friends all in trucks . much nicer roads . lots of free parking along the way and you really will enjoy it .
have done it from near sagres to santander once and bust the gear box near badajoz only had 4th gear from then on .only no reverse just 4th . took 16hrs but we couldnt go fast and struggled to start from fuel stops but we did it . didnt want to be on main roads or motorways as i didnt have recovery . no mates with us so just drove and drove. not recommended really but you will find it a lovely road. have fun we do . cheers alan.
when we got to plymouth a mate pulled us home on a strap. 7.5 ton man pulling my artic both loaded but again we made it . luckily he was in north spain so came across with us . clutch packed up leaving plymouth . how it got all that far i dont know . there must be someone up there helping us.

Hi Al, That reminded me of a few experiences in the past. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back