Driving to portugal via santandar

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by flatpackchicken, Dec 1, 2011.

1. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Looking at going on ferry from pompy to Santandar and then onward to Chickenun near Faro Portugal with 38' RV, looking to go via Valladolid, Salamanca, Caseres, Seville, Huelva and into Portugal with no tolls?????, or do i go via Portugal and tolls, any comments please. (JJ Possible) Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Garry ,,

we did the run in the RV going via Valladolid, Salamanca, Caseres, Seville, Huelva..

not much help but will hopefully get a reply from someone who has done it both ways..

• Like Like x 1
  3. JJ

JJ Funster

I have always prefered Portugal to Spain.
    I would go Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Portugal (Vila Formosa) A23 motorway to near Lisbon and then the (good) non toll road to Faro.

They have just (or are about to) made the A23 a toll road. The cameras photographs your number plate and sends you the bill to your home. I asked my driver friend what happens to a UK vehicle and the reply was "You don't pay." This matches the advice I was given several months ago from the motorway authorities...

My Hymer is Portuguese registered... Looks like the (v
    ery) slow route for me...

JJ

• Like Like x 1
  4. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

Just be careful that you don't park overnight on the rest areas of Portuguese toll roads. They charge you maximum fees if you stay for more than 12 hours. We did something like a 50 mile trip with an overnight on a rest area and got ripped off for 40 euros.

Of course it is mentioned in the terms and conditions but if your fluency in Portuguese is not quite up to the mark you might just miss it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi ,i would go to caceres then across to badajoz ,then elvas .on to evora .down to beja then down to faro. you can just about doit on non motorway roads all the way. we do it in the mini artic along with friends all in trucks . much nicer roads . lots of free parking along the way and you really will enjoy it .
    have done it from near sagres to santander once and bust the gear box near badajoz only had 4th gear from then on .only no reverse just 4th . took 16hrs but we couldnt go fast and struggled to start from fuel stops but we did it . didnt want to be on main roads or motorways as i didnt have recovery . no mates with us so just drove and drove. not recommended really but you will find it a lovely road. have fun we do . cheers alan.
    when we got to plymouth a mate pulled us home on a strap. 7.5 ton man pulling my artic both loaded but again we made it . luckily he was in north spain so came across with us . clutch packed up leaving plymouth . how it got all that far i dont know . there must be someone up there helping us.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Why not slap a pair of brit plates on for the journey ? :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. JJ

JJ Funster

Portugal's economy needs the boost of my toll money John... Lol

Jj

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

But.. but..... so does the UK AND Argentina.. and moneys spent on tolls mean less disposable income to splurge on FB products :Eeek:
    You are just not looking at the bigger picture JJ

9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Hi Al, That reminded me of a few experiences in the past. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1