Driving to Croatia on 11th April (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
I'm going the Mont Blanc tunnel route :) Just need to research the Slovenia part of the journey, can I do it on normal roads into Croatia or will I need to use the motorways and hence get a Go Box?

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
I'm going the Mont Blanc tunnel route :) Just need to research the Slovenia part of the journey, can I do it on normal roads into Croatia or will I need to use the motorways and hence get a Go Box?

If you just going to take the shortest route through Slovenia into Croatia using the Bazovizza turn off East of Trieste then you will be on normal roads all the time for the short drive through Slovenia. Once into Croatia you'll pick up the motorway at Rupa leading to Rijeka...there is a small toll for this short stretch.
Diesel is cheaper in Slovenia than either Italy or Croatia so worth filling up as you pass through.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Good news...hope you have a great time...if you have any other queries fire away!:)

OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
OK here we go. What's the score about driving through the 12 miles or so of Bosnia to get to Dubrovnik? I'm going to check with Saga on Tuesday to see if I'm covered insurnace-wise but if not can we get a ferry to get past Bosnia?

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
OK here we go. What's the score about driving through the 12 miles or so of Bosnia to get to Dubrovnik? I'm going to check with Saga on Tuesday to see if I'm covered insurnace-wise but if not can we get a ferry to get past Bosnia?

I don't think many UK insurance companies supply a green card for Bosnia. It may be possible to buy local 3rd party insurance at the border but you can miss Bosnia completely by getting the local ferry from Ploce to Tripanj on the Peljesac peninsula and then drive on down to Dubrovnik.
This has the huge advantage that you can have a look at the Kuciste/ Viganj area ...several good campsites here by the waters edge looking over the Peljesac channel to the island of Korcula [also worth a daytrip on the passenger ferry].
The Ploce /Tripanj ferry [about an hour] cost us 48 Euros for our set up last year...you just park up in the line for the ferry on the dock and go and get your tickets at the office across the road...the somewhat dour lady in charge speaks good English and accepts CC's or cash...Euros or Kunas.
The ferry is roll on roll off..no reversing required!!
If you are lucky you'll see dolphins on the crossing...

DSCF2900.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Eventually I found the site! Hope you find it helpful
Chris

joysofeuropeancamping.co.uk

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
We're going to Croatia this year too, setting off end of this month going via Germany want to travel along the romantic route, we intend crossing Austria via the Grossglockner pass for no other reason than its supposed to be spectacular but does cost about 40 euro. I don't intend to use toll roads so will not be getting a go box, our van is 4.25t . someone else on here posted a link to this site which I've found helpful in our plans http://www.highwaymaps.eu/

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
I don't think many UK insurance companies supply a green card for Bosnia. It may be possible to buy local 3rd party insurance at the border but you can miss Bosnia completely by getting the local ferry from Ploce to Tripanj on the Peljesac peninsula and then drive on down to Dubrovnik.
This has the huge advantage that you can have a look at the Kuciste/ Viganj area ...several good campsites here by the waters edge looking over the Peljesac channel to the island of Korcula [also worth a daytrip on the passenger ferry].
The Ploce /Tripanj ferry [about an hour] cost us 48 Euros for our set up last year...you just park up in the line for the ferry on the dock and go and get your tickets at the office across the road...the somewhat dour lady in charge speaks good English and accepts CC's or cash...Euros or Kunas.
The ferry is roll on roll off..no reversing required!!
If you are lucky you'll see dolphins on the crossing...

View attachment 58391
Is the roll on roll off reasonably level? our vans 8 mts and has about a 2mt overhang, dont want to get beached.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Just found the other site I was looking for claudestravels.wordpress.com
I hope I got this one right!
Chris

Reactions: ebo

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
And another one!
paulandalisons2012tour.wordpress.com
All of these sites are great to read and give a wealth of info on the route to Croatia and elsewhere. Enjoy
Chris

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Is the roll on roll off reasonably level? our vans 8 mts and has about a 2mt overhang, dont want to get beached.

There is a bit of a slope....the guys doing the boarding/disembarking do watch the vehicles closely and keep things slow but I understand your concern...might be tricky.:(

Reactions: ebo

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
There is a bit of a slope....the guys doing the boarding/disembarking do watch the vehicles closely and keep things slow but I understand your concern...might be tricky.:(
Thanks for that

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
Hi Everyone

Well only a couple of days to go now. We have decided to travel from Calais to Luxembourg then down to Mulhouse in France, into Switzerland at Bern, through Switzerland and through the Gotthard Tunnel down towards Milan then across Italy to Trieste, down through the short bit of Slovenia on normal roads into Croatia.

I'm now just putting the stops in my head for the journey down. Thinking of stopping for the first night at Bergues just off the A25/E42 before Lille in France.

Will be travelling down in a southerly direction then and looking for a nice French aire just before or just after Luxembourg and then another just before we enter Switzerland at Bern.

Any suggestions?

I will be doing a blog when we return in the hope that it will help others following us :)

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Looks like good route .....I'm probably teaching you how to suck eggs but don't forget about the vignette if you use any motorways in Switzerland!
Hope you have a great trip...we'll look out for you in Croatia.:)

OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
Hi Everyone

Well we are currently parked at Grado near Trieste in Italy. We can see the mountains of Slovenia and Croatia across the adriatic from where we are parked. €4 for 24 hours. Not bad.

I think I chose the best route and it was a cheap option taking the 10 day over 3.5 tonne version of the vignette. That includes all motorways and the Gotthard Tunnel.

By the way mway tolls are cheap in Italy compared to other countries. We always use them in Italy as the main roads are often slow and pretty broken in parts.

Brilliant weather we've had so far and expect to hit Croatia in the next few days.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
have a great time mateys! look out for the little camperstops in peoples gardens , some were right on the waters edge. safe travels

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Sounds like a great trip...

We head off across the channel shortly...should be in Croatia this time next week.:)

OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
Just a quickie guys. ... Our van is 4 tonne and we will enter Slovenia just after Trieste and then after 25km in Slovenia cross into Croatia. From what I can gather on Slovenia Web sites we simply pay tolls on motorways if we use them. No need to purchase a vignette. .. am I correct?

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Just a quickie guys. ... Our van is 4 tonne and we will enter Slovenia just after Trieste and then after 25km in Slovenia cross into Croatia. From what I can gather on Slovenia Web sites we simply pay tolls on motorways if we use them. No need to purchase a vignette. .. am I correct?

Yes...no vignette required...you can pay the tolls in either Euros or Kunas.

I don't know what the post above re security is all about...we have never had any problems in Croatia or anywhere else for that matter....common sense and taking heed of "gut feelings" has worked fine so far!

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
I agree with you Andrewjw we felt more at ease in croatia than in a lot of other european countries. Not to say we didn't use commonsense and basic intelligence when touring,but i felt a great ease, a relaxed feeling and time in croatia more than in a lot of other places.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Has the vignette rules changed, we went a couple of years ago and had to buy one.

Jan 21, 2013
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
I"m a newbie
Nice to hear you are having a good time Earl MayWe take the same route stopping at Garda the on to Croatia and Slovenia,Could you tell me the detals of the Grado site you are at and is it easy to find.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back