Driving over the Viaduc Millau (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
On our way back up from the Med last week, we managed to drive over the Millau Viaduct and the Roadhawk dash cam hung on long enough to record most of the event. ( it just got posted back to the supplier because it keeps shutting itself down.
Anyway, if you're interested in seeing the bridge from the drivers seat, click away....
Best viewed in HD ( 1080p) and full screen
[ame]http://youtu.be/x-615FsfNgU[/ame]

Allan

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for posting this - we have seen it from one side and it looks magnificent. Did you get to see much of the valley as you drove across?

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks for posting this - we have seen it from one side and it looks magnificent. Did you get to see much of the valley as you drove across?

Not too much, unfortunately, its difficult to look right down as you drive, makes my knees go funny! Had a few quick glances, its an awful long way down, around 300metres I believe. We were going to go into Millau and take a few photos of the new bridge from the old one, but were a bit pushed for time.
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That left me a little underwhelmed, pictures of the viaduct always make it look stunning but they`re usually of the bridge from a distance. The drivers eye view was a disappointing - sorry.
It`s still a crossing I`d love to do some time so I`m probably just jealous really !
I guess side views are better than the black stuff.
I gather there is a viewing park nearby, did you go there ?

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Theres an Aire north of the bridge, but we didn't go there. Your right though, viewing the bridge from a distance gives the best impression, but driving over was pretty good too.
Allan

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We saw it from the viewing area and visitor centre on the northern side of the valley - it was amazing. We didn't go across though - which is fortunate as I learnt later that there isn't anywhere to turn around for approx 20km after the viaduct and we wouldn't have had time for the 40km round-trip.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
The views of the viaduct are so much better underneath and Millau a really nice town, an aire and couple of good but cheap sites right by the river.worth a stopover at least.:Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks for posting this, did you see the Eddie Stobbart episode when they were all crossing and getting their photos taken?

Bill

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
It also has a €10.80 toll fee.....
Didn't see the Stobarts though, I bet that was good.

Allan

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I always drive through the valley as am never in a hurry. The bridge looks fantastic from below. It is a climb but well worth it for the view of the bridge. Even if you drive over the bridge, you can see very little as there are panels and the bridge structure blocking the view. There are various stopping places below so that you can appreciate the structure.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Thanks for that. The trouble is is that I hate heights and had to watch the whole thing with my eyes closed. :ROFLMAO:

I liked the quality of your Roadhawk HD but I do keep hearing about reliability problems.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
We drove across the viaduct on our way south to Spain last summer. I'd have to agree with earlier comments that the actual drive across it was very underwhelming.... nothing to see apart from the barriers at the sides of the carriageway!

Having said that, I'd definitely recommend anyone to do it.. we visited the aire/viewing area on the north side and the views are spectacular. After crossing the viaduct we made our way into Millau town, which we found to be delightful. The drive down into the town was magnificent and we stayed at one of the sites adjacent to the river.. we enjoyed it so much we even stayed an extra night!

It's one of those things that you should see if you can.. at least once.. just don't expect much from driving across it!

Simon
:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We went there specially to go over the bridge but as a then PHGV it would have cost us €27 each way do I'm glad you posted that Thank you.
We didn't miss much and now we are not PHGV we still wouldnt drive over it.
We enjoyed the views from below though and we went to the visitor centre.
Never used the Aire though, stayed in the campsite nearby.
Nice little town though.

Last edited:

Jim and Lorraine

Free Member
Nov 10, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you, We are going accross the bridge in June for the first time and this has stifled any fears we had.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Thanks for posting, was tempted to cross one day but now will view from below, seems more rewarding.
I also noted the lack of other vehicles, unlike the UK

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
A few pics I took off the bridge.

Nothing much to see on it.

:Cool:

Attachments

• Milau Bridge.jpg
    Milau Bridge.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
We went there specially to go over the bridge but as a then PHGV it would have cost us €27 each way do I'm glad you posted that Thank you.
We didn't miss much and now we are not PHGV we still wouldnt drive over it.
We enjoyed the views from below though and we went to the visitor centre.
Never used the Aire though, stayed in the campsite nearby.
Nice little town though.

It cost us €10.80 as a PHGV, mind you, we are low profile and generally get charged as a class 2

Allan

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We saw it and drove it 2 years ago... makes you proud to be British! Well done Sir Norm...

Catherine

Attachments

• P1000308a.jpg
    P1000308a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 21

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We went over it a few years ago not long after it first opened ... disappointed to say the least! You really can't see much at all going across which, to be fair, is the point ... they don't want you admiring the scenery and accidentally driving off because you're not paying attention do they! :Doh:

Much, much better viewed from afar as you really appreciate the scale of it then. ::bigsmile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes I have to agree with what the others have said, viewing it from below was astounding and prompted me to double back to drive across it. Was rather disappointed to find that there is not much to see as you drive across other than barriers.
We reckon the Normandie bridge is more spectacular to drive over. We'll take a clip of that on the dashcam next time!:thumb:

Wyn

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks for that. The trouble is is that I hate heights and had to watch the whole thing with my eyes closed. :ROFLMAO:

I liked the quality of your Roadhawk HD but I do keep hearing about reliability problems.

The Roadhawk has been playing up for some time. I just sent it back and will be getting a new replacement in a day or so. I do like the quality and it just shows how smooth our Motorhomes are. I saw a similar video taken from a Volvo and it was shaking all over the place.

Allan

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
The year it opened my OH was determined to go over it. I have a very great fear of heights & bridges but I agreed to crossing it. Anyway as we approached it and I saw it in the distance I started having a panic attack, I was a gibbering wreck!! We pulled off the autoroute at the junction before to assess the situation. The family offered to ply me with gin and let me smoke as many fags as I could (I smoked then and my son hated it). I decided to get in the back of the car (we had the caravan then) and hide behind a pillow. I have to say that once we were on there and I realised that you can't actually see over the side I was fine. We have since been over it twice and I managed it without the gin! :ROFLMAO:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
whent over a little while back.asked the boss to flim the crossing.she whent over with her eyes closed.but it felt great going over.we saw the bridge just before it was finished.it looks so thin from the ground.and there is a couple of nice sites down there and a good little supermarket down there as well.:Sad::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we recorded the crossing on VHS tape a few years ago...or so i thought.

Shirl had pressed pause instead of record so got nowt. :Angry:

The road view isnt worth bothering about, forget how high you are as theres no real impression of height, and the side views are extremely restricted due to the positioning of the wind deflector baffles at the sides.

Only far distant views are really visible.

As said, the most dramatic views are from a distance...down by the Tarn river near the head of the gorge is a good viewpoint.

The northern viewpoint carpark/aire is ok but not worth the effort rolling off the motorway in my opinion.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Been over and under it many times and Millau is a nice little place to visit. We usually go over it, because although the views aren't great, its a good few miles to not go over it, unless you want to visit Millau. We are PHGV but have never been charged the high rate.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Been by it when they were building it..

And drove over it on Friday... fantastic bit of engineering.. :thumb:

The wife paid on her card, she hasn`t checked yet.... :RollEyes:

Think she has a shock coming if they charge on axles/wheels we had 10... (wheels).. :Sad:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back