patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Still being a relative newbies we have yet to. Build up the. Courage to drive onto the levelling blocks. What is the best way of doing this. Can't always be sure of finding a level site......Glad to receive any advice.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Still being a relative newbies we have yet to. Build up the. Courage to drive onto the levelling blocks. What is the best way of doing this. Can't always be sure of finding a level site......Glad to receive any advice.

Place under wheels you wish to raise and drive forward or backwards depending how you have placed them.
Helpful if wife or self guides to avoid overshooting the ramp

Simplesssss

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Place under wheels you wish to raise and drive forward or backwards depending how you have placed them.
Helpful if wife or self guides to avoid overshooting the ramp

Simplesssss

Norman

That's about it really - not a lot more to be said.

Sometimes you will need to place one against a wheel and another a little further away from a different wheel in order to get different amounts of lift. Be careful when using them on tarmac as sometimes they can slide forward as the wheel starts to run up them.

Fitting one of these spirit levels may make things easier. I have one fixed to the floor just behind and to the side of the driver's seat. I can check for level as I go onto the ramps.
Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if possible reverse onto the ramps....

two reasons....

1) if the ground is a bit soft and you overshoot the low end of the ramp may flip up as you go over the top...worst it will do is hit the bottom of the bumper, if you go forwards the ramp may still flip but under the sill and could be damaged if it gets trapped as you roll forwards.

2) reverse is the lowest gear ratio in the box so wont need as much clutch slipping to get on the ramp.

once on the ramp stay in the same gear, hold the foot brake, apply the handbrake and ease the clutch out until it just 'bites' then without moving the pedal turn off the key.
that way you have both the handbrake and gearbox holding it...just using the handbrake will allow the van to roll off the ramps a little.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Most of the time I use just one ramp. I figure out which is the lowest point of the MH and put the ramp under that wheel. I have a chamfered plank of wood screwed onto the bottom so I can get about 6 inches of lift. That gets me close enough. We sleep across the MH not front to back so as long as my head is above my feet I'm happy.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the van is nose down, drive front wheels forward onto ramps
if the van is rear down, reverse back wheels up ramps

the reason for this is if your handbrake slips it hopefully stops the van running off the ramps downhill. always a good idea to leave the van in gear as well on ramps in the direction you drove up the ramps

mind you its never a good idea to point the wheels straight downhill when parking up. if possible park across any slope and put ramps on the low side of the van. something we learnt many years ago when we started out with a caravan. saw an older couple pull up and disconnect their van. as they were putting down the steadies the handbrake slipped and the van shot off downhill into a bush. nobody was hurt thankfully, but accidents happen that easily. anything you can do to lessen the risks is a good move

oh and dont try to add pieces of wood to make levels taller as they can be unstable. its safer to move to a flatter pitch

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As above post.... but carry a couple of old bits of heavy duty carpet..

Long enough for the ramps and wheels to fit on...

And use them if you are on Concrete or Tarmac.... will stop the wheels pushing the ramps as you drive up them.. :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Weymouth....! Old Mo is an escapee, as am I.:thumb:
They got the brown route in at last I see. How many years??

Anyway - one little tip. When parking on grass, or when the weather is looking like it could rain, position yourself where you can reverse on to level - and provide yourself an exit route.

This will give you vital momentum on wet grass, and allow you to escape wheel divets etc. Roll off, and keep going until you get to firm ground, and then go and get you ramps. It will avoid those wheel spin moments.

As pappajohn says, reverse is your lowest gear - when wanting to go up and incline to a pitch on damp grass, reverse up. Firstly, because the gearing is lower, and secondly, with front wheel drive reversing turns it into rear wheel drive in effect, and also adds a little more weight to the driven end. It is easier to push than pull.

(Read and treat wet grass as snow, and you'll be fine!)

OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Thanks everyone . Very helpful as usual. Yes weymouth got the new road last year for the Olympics. Best thing to happen in Weymouth since we moved here -24 years - but then not a lot happens here!!!::bigsmile:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Levelling ramps

Hi,

Tons of very good advice here and I'm sure before long you'll be so used to it, you'll do it without anyone to watch you up the ramps. One thing I have found very useful, assuming you have an I-phone or similar, is an app called I-handy level. I put the phone on the top of the flat drivers side storage compartment and the spirit level is then right next to me as I drive up. Turning the phone through 90 degrees gives me front-to-back and side-to-side levels. I focus on the front of the van as getting the level right for our drop down bed is the one we find most important!

Happy ramping, Gary

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
if possible reverse onto the ramps....
2) reverse is the lowest gear ratio in the box so wont need as much clutch slipping to get on the ramp.

Actually, most vehicles have 1st as the lowest ratio. Reverse is normally higher, although if you are front wheel drive, you do have the advantage for traction of converting it effectively to rear wheel drive.

For example, a typical Fiat Ducato gearbox has a 3.727 ratio for 1st, but only 3.154 for reverse. I imagine they use the same gearbox on motorhome chassis.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On softer ground the long yellow plastic mats placed directly under the ramps can be handy. Sometimes when it's a bit boggy I trap one end of the mat under the lower end of the ramp so the tyres have something to bite on and get a proper grip as they roll off the ramp.

In our Ducato I can see the driver's side wheel with the cab door fully open, so I just keep an eye out myself.

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi when I was a young apprentice mechanic I drove a car onto a car ramp and right off the other end. The reason for mentioning this your post reminded me of this.
In answer to your quest, Steering wheel set at straight ahead with wheels in same direction, place ramps in parrallel in front of front wheels hard against Tyres, step back a few paces and ensure the ramps are straight in line with wheels.
Now here comes the ADI in me safety first engage 1st gear set the gas as if you are moving off up a steep hill, bring clutch up to bite + a little bit more H/brake off and clutch control your way up to whenever level spirit bubble is level having placed lt on a easily read position.
If someone is guiding you ensure they stand to the side of vehicle (NOT IN FRONT) to communicate with you. Practice makes perfect and everyone has had to learn to do it.
No one is born with a steering wheel in their hand you can confirm this being a M/W.
Should you go over the end of ramp dont worry the suspension deals with a lot more on modern roads. And it happenned to me recently and of course there was an audience, me i just announced that is how not to do it now watch and learn, but then i am a confident Scot.:winky:
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• van july 2013 003.jpg
    van july 2013 003.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 24

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread