Driving? love it or hate it? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used to love driving, had a couple of open top sports cars which were fun. I got banned for speeding. I loved razzing about country lanes, up and down the gears.

Now I find driving a bore unless it is in France or North Wales. I sit at 50mph everywhere except on Motorways where I sit behind a lorry at 56 or so.

I don't get wound up any more and at most I will shake my head like a disappointed parent when other drivers do stupid things. If the traffic gets too busy or too slow I will pull over and put the kettle on and chill out for a bit :Cool:.

Life is too short to be angry with things you can't do anything about.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
When I was young I loved driving, cars, vans, motorcycles 20 ton trucks, even electric mobile cranes. I even joined the TA to do even more driving

But as I got older this pleasure diminished and driving become a tool to achieve something.

Then as I become even older and pains of arthritis set in, I began to dislike it and even avoid it. by this time I was only driving private cars.

Then I discovered motorhomes with their different driving seat positions and now I am back to, not exacly loving it but certainly enjoing it, with suitable breaks when needed, for which a MH is perfectly suited

This leads me to add that in my opinion cars are not design with driver comfort in mind, but of course some are better that others.

Doug...

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I love driving too.....sometimes quietly and sometimes ....a bit less:winky:! When i came back from Portugal I was ever so happy to see the blue sky (we had a lot of rain at JJ's) , my mountains (Pyrénées that is) that I filmed while driving.... Yes , yes i know..... dangerous...shame on me:Blush::Blush: but the joy made me forget everything , mind you I was most of the time all alone on the motorway.... and now you, men, can see a woman multi tasking:roflmto: driving , filming, singing even:Eeek::Eeek:.... changing gears in Toulouse was a bit more difficult though.... I thought , may be I could share my joy with you . So my mum (well I didn't change you see , still useless with computers:Blush:) roughly edited only a few minutes of my filming ( otherwise you would have really got bored with it). Didn't change anything at all, so the music is the one on the radio .... carefull with your ears:whatthe:. At the 4'52'' of the film , you will see me overtaking a black car , between a commercial car and a white lorry ... it could have been the last second of my life , but I did react very quickly, the car never saw me overtaking "her"and was about to overtake the white lorry , ready to "bang" me .... you see me slipping on the left hand side suddenly , if you care, you can hear my horn ... scary moment but hey the camera didn't move !!!:Eeek:

The blue sky is for Mister Jim Boss.... I know you like it ::bigsmile:

Ready to spend 5 minutes with a crazy frog?? Here is the link...

French:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4nN1XiII5k&feature=youtu.be

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Life is too short to be angry with things you can't do anything about.
Very true Karl. Unfortunately, although many of us already know that, we don't always subscribe to it, including moi. :Sad:

As I said to someone else, there is very little etiquette and consideration for others, on the roads these days. This tends to bring out the monster in many of us. :Sad:

Regards,

Jock.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I drive all round the country for the company probably averaging around 45,000 miles each year :Eeek: and i still get home thinking i can't wait to go out in the motorhome:thumb:

For me i would have to say i love it:thumb::ROFLMAO::thumb::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Haven't a clue how many hundreds of thousands of miles have driven in a lifetime of living behind a steering wheel but what I can say is that the fist hour of a long journey is the most stressful. If something is going to go wrong, it will in the first hour. Its always in the back of your mind "Did I close the roof vents,wind down the TV aerial,pull the step in,secure the bike properly",etc,etc,etc. With me it stems from my working days when leaving the yard. "Is the load secure,did the mechanic do a good job with the service,is the paperwork correct",etc,etc,etc. After an hours driving I always stop and have a walk round the vehicle and check tyres etc and a quick glance underneath for oil leaks. After doing these quick checks am away with no problem driving all day as long as I have my coffee. Its always a good tip to make a quick stop after the first hour and do a visual check round the van. It does set your mind at ease.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I love driving more so in the MH as i know im going on holiday, cant beat sititng behind the wheel with a nice cold Magners just to start the holiday.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My 1st hour Dave did I turn the taps off, lock the door properly, hate this but always do.

I to have driven god know how many miles and still do.

I am not as good now at low speed and i hate it.

But still live to drive and always have since my earliest recollection.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I think JJ should buy you a set of brown seat covers for Xmas Frankie :ROFLMAO:

Why? I like my blue ones ! Or is there some other reason that escapes me ??? Is it all you saw in the film ?? LOL i will ask my mum to edit it again :Doh:. That was about driving :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
you looked far to happy to be leaving JJ to me if I was him I would be worried :ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
you looked far to happy to be leaving JJ to me if I was him I would be worried :ROFLMAO:

Only happy with the blue sky, the sun, and ..... the french signs ... portuguese is a real puzzling language to me!

Frankie:Smile:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I love driving and more so now that I only do it for pleasure. But one thing that does wind me up is the French driver's who do not indicate when they come to a roundabout, there is quite a few times I have nearly side swiped one who has come racing round without indicating, maybe they think that using indicators is charged on their electricity bill. :Cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Very true Karl. Unfortunately, although many of us already know that, we don't always subscribe to it, including moi. :Sad:

As I said to someone else, there is very little etiquette and consideration for others, on the roads these days. This tends to bring out the monster in many of us. :Sad:

Maybe it's because I am a fulltimer now? Not sure but I just don't get angry with other drivers anymore. I will quite happily sit behind a tractor at 30mph while everyone else is in such a rush to get past. I just relax....

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As a young man with a motorcycle I was obsessed with doing a ton, but once I had, I slowed down to 50 apart from motorway driving, these days in the motorhome I poodle along at 55 for max fuel economy, I've a home with me so no rush, nowt to get back for and usually nowhere special to be, thats what comes of not using sites. no time table to adhere to. also a smaller phone bill, it all helps.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Love everything about driving, always have done. Getting uptight about other road users is futile, Incapable of producing any useful result absolutely pointless. I started my driving career as a white van man many moons ago so I can match most aggressive forms of driver of which there are many. Throwing your toys out of the pram does nothing apart from upsetting you and your passengers.
Next week my son arrives back for three weeks in the UK. For my Christmas present, he is hiring me a Golf R 270ps for three weeks I think it is 4 wheel drive and 0-62 in 5.5secs. Childish yes, but I am very much looking forward to it. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
love driving but hate the idiots.

dangerous overtaking..... doesn't bother me if they kill themselves or others, wont be on my conscience but could do without the hold-ups.

speeders......as above.

tailgater's..... don't bother me, I'm in no rush even if they are.

Sunday drivers..... I'd line 'em all up and shoot 'em, even on a Sunday.
nowt worse than stuck behind someone driving at 40mph and hitting the brakes 'cos a bird flew in front of 'em or a car comes the other way...mile after mile, and no chance to overtake.

should only be allowed on the road on days without a 'Y' :roflmto:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
l
nowt worse than stuck behind someone driving at 40mph and hitting the brakes 'cos a bird flew in front of 'em or a car comes the other way...mile after mile, and no chance to overtake.

should only be allowed on the road on days without a 'Y' :roflmto:

Even they don't bother me anymore. I can either pootle with them or pull over for a cuppa to give them some time to get out of my way :winky:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I drive for a living, and its both of my hobbies (offroading and motorhoming) so I have to like it really. I have done some VERY long distances in the past, and travelled all around europe, but driving in the UK is now fraught with so many problems, and you can lose your license so easily, that it becomes a bit frustrating.
Its funny how different types of driving make for different moods, when ive got the roof oof the landrover and am poodling around country lanes, I always have a big smile on my fizzog. when i,m in the MH, i am always chilled and looking forward to the adventure, and then....like tonight, when its pitch black, pissing down with rain, and i,m dragging a 44ton tanker around...I struggle to get any pleasure, except on payday.::bigsmile:

If i could find a job where i was using the MH and a trailer to deliver landrovers,.......I,d be one happy bunny:roflmto:

Campinggaz

Free Member
Dec 17, 2011
Redditch, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt.
Exp
Just bought one after 10 years with caravans
I don't like driving much, When my other half is with me she always drives, She loves it, although she is a Bus and coach driver she still insists on doing all the driving on holiday and weekends and things when we all go out.
Its a means to an end for me, gets me where I need to be. I prefer driving automatics but the motorhome is a manual which I have just had to just come to terms with driving,
Much rather be driven.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Love both driving and riding, although the bike's getting to be a bit of a handful for me now the older i get, every year i say i'm gonna get rid of it, then when it comes to it i "bottle out"

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Love it, I can drive for hours on end. Normally it is is the wife and kids begging me to stop for a break.

When I lived in France I used to drive straight through the night from Northern France to Spain, only stopping for fuel and a coffee, sometimes 14 hours. Also it made passing Millau much easier in the middle of the night before the bridge was built.

Same when touring on the bike, it was always the pillion who screamed for a break.

For me driving is part of the fun and the holiday....

Love It.......:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i must admit i enjoy driving but if going a long distance i prefer to drive at night.
there just seems to be less of the idiots on the road at night.
i always try to avoid rush hour with the motorhome id rather just pull over and get a spot of breakfast and let em get on with it.

although i do find even when doing the speed limit you get planks trying to overtake on blind corners and that gets me goat,
fine overtake me on a blind bend if you wish but just make sure if you have no where to go you dont take me out with you.

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I drive for a living but still enjoy driving the M/home,I drive at the pace that I want to ,which is slow compared to others. I get a lot of pleasure in not getting wound up like I used to when I was a young man .I also pull over and let others pass that are obviously in more of a hurry than I am.:Smile:

peejay

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
South Cheshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx
Exp
Started Nov '09
five minutes of fun

Hi Yodeli, thanks for a great 5 minutes, i would like to see you do that on the M6...anytime of the day or night. It was a great bit of filming, please give us more.
Is the traffic so light all the time? I am coming to France for the first motorhome visit in June 2012, to Hattenville near Yvetot in Normandy, cannot wait!!!
Please forgive any road safety experts who may condem your filming whilst driving, It would be impossible to film like that in Brittain.
Thanks again. Pete.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Yodeli, thanks for a great 5 minutes, i would like to see you do that on the M6...anytime of the day or night. It was a great bit of filming, please give us more.
Is the traffic so light all the time? I am coming to France for the first motorhome visit in June 2012, to Hattenville near Yvetot in Normandy, cannot wait!!!
Please forgive any road safety experts who may condem your filming whilst driving, It would be impossible to film like that in Brittain.
Thanks again. Pete.

Well .... errrr.... I wouldn't do that elsewhere but in France and this was the first and last time . There was quite no one on the motorway but even so, it is something dangerous to do. Although , I had been very careful, trying to anticipate what could happen while I was overtaking the lorry, ( though the cam will fly if I need both my hands ) , but if one of my tyres had blown up , I would imagine that the most damaged would have been me. When it happened to be a car to overtake , I just slowed down and didn't do it , as I was not the only one involved. Be silly is something you can do , but only if you are alone in your car and if you know you won't involve anyone else in a crash. It was more dangerous in town but I know each centimer of this road and knew what to do if in trouble, in any case not a thing to do! It was great fun, indeed. I have been lucky once , won't try to gamble on my chances to be so lucky one more time! I can be a bad kid sometimes:Blush::Blush: I think JJ and my mum (who edited the bits) have been telling me off in the name of everyone :roflmto: !!! I did see my mum hide a smile now and then . She says about herself that she doesn't drive , she pilots ..... As we say in french dogs don't make cats.....! I have now come back to my usual way of driving ......i don't film while driving that is:roflmto::roflmto::winky: .... !

Amicalement

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well .... errrr.... I wouldn't do that elsewhere but in France and this was the first and last time . There was quite no one on the motorway but even so, it is something dangerous to do. Although , I had been very careful, trying to anticipate what could happen while I was overtaking the lorry, ( though the cam will fly if I need both my hands ) , but if one of my tyres had blown up , I would imagine that the most damaged would have been me. When it happened to be a car to overtake , I just slowed down and didn't do it , as I was not the only one involved. Be silly is something you can do , but only if you are alone in your car and if you know you won't involve anyone else in a crash. It was more dangerous in town but I know each centimer of this road and knew what to do if in trouble, in any case not a thing to do! It was great fun, indeed. I have been lucky once , won't try to gamble on my chances to be so lucky one more time! I can be a bad kid sometimes:Blush::Blush: I think JJ and my mum (who edited the bits) have been telling me off in the name of everyone :roflmto: !!! I did see my mum hide a smile now and then . She says about herself that she doesn't drive , she pilots ..... As we say in french dogs don't make cats.....! I have now come back to my usual way of driving ......i don't film while driving that is:roflmto::roflmto::winky: .... !

Amicalement

"Dogs don't make cats" and you don't get tame rabbits from wild ones.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back