Driving? love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CHRI$, Jul 29, 2011.

1. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

i have never been a big fan of driving,to be honest i find it a necessery evil to get where im going:Sad:
    i know a lot of motorhomers find the driving bit fun,but for me it's filled with rage and anger at times,rather be on my m/bike, although every man and his dog tries to kill you at times:Angry:
    i think the proplem with me,is that i focus on getting where im going,and god help anybody that gets in my way,drives the wife mad:Eeek:
    so if i arrive at a meet,and me and the wife aint talking,dont worry as some burk in a merc has proberly just cut me up,resulting in me trying to t bone him at the next roundabout:Angry:
    so whats your thought's,driving love it or hate it??

• Like Like x 4
  2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm not all that keen on driving either. I tend to drive at the speed limit and don't relax.

Jill, on the other hand, can relax when driving and is much better than I am at keeping to around 55 mph for fuel economy. So, Jill drives the van most of the time and I just navigate and watch the world go by :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

I love it :thumb: driving anything :thumb: SWMBO can drive but does not unless absolutely necessary same as oldest while my youngest was the same as me :thumb: deffo better driver than passenger :Rofl1:
    terry

4. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

i wish i could get fran to drive the motorhome,that's a bit unfair,she does as long as i aint init:Smile:
    another thing i do now is try to beat the tomtom,it says 2hours,i think,no i can do it faster.
    getting to the point i should bin my licence and walk:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  5. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

The days when I can drive purely for pleasure are now few and far between. I can remember when I would drive to Scarborough after work for fish and chips with my family. These days It can take 50% longer to make the same journey.
    Every journey on the Triumph is for pleasure and guaranteed to put a smile on my face.

6. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

Never been a big fan of driving, but I adopt a totally different mindset when driving the MH. For me the holliday starts when we pull off the drive, mind you captains chairs, auto gearbox, cruise control and air con go a long way towards chilling me out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I adore driving anything and always have done. Sadly the cost of fuel has changed everything including the way I drive.

I was going to be everywhere when i retired but just not possible now, can only do shorter Runs the UK

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I'm the same, totally chilled when driving the motorhome, in fact even in a hurry, if I spot a good parking space with a view I can't resist stopping and putting the kettle on :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 8
  9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I enjoy driving most of the time,even in adverse weather, snow,ice etc. I particularly like driving the MH which I find most relaxing and one of the best bits of a holiday.

I am a very bad passenger though, operator of the phantom brake pedal frequently, or else I go to sleep.

10. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Have always enjoyed driving, good job as a service engineer a lot of my time was spent getting to and from jobs as I covered anywhere south of London, normally but it could be anywhere if required.

11. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I love driving. Did driving for a living once, artics all over the UK, Europe, middle east. Have driven RVs in the Usa. With the RV, and the cruise set, i could go forever, if only i could afford the fuel to do it. It's in the blood.

Craig

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

I love driving and also like being a passenger well thats was until i was a passenger in smudgers RV ever sins then iv been a nerves wreck:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

For me a good 40% of the experience is the driving.. Love driving and love driving the van

Any other vehicle and all all agro and stress.. get in the cab of the van and suddenly I am that benign smiling person you all know and love ( sic !!! :Rofl1: )

14. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

I love driving but not as much as I used to due to the crowded roads and high fuel costs. Get on the continent though and it's like it used to be over here forty years ago with hardly anything on the roads. Love it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TDH

TDH Funster

Love driving, and so does K which leads to arguments about who's going to do it when we're out and about, especially in The Rosabella.

I must admit my driving style has changed over the years althoughy I do still succomb to the 'I've got to win' mentality on occasions, especially when somebody overtakes me in a racey kind of way.

It's a different matter in The Rosie. The better view over the hedgerows, the 'geloperda geloperda' of the engine and the need to keep all the crockery in the right place mean a much slower, healthier pace.

• Like Like x 1
  16. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Youve got to chill chris :) Its horrible for passengers driving with an agressive driver.

Try this..........drive very carefully in order to maximise you fuel consumption. Accelerate slowly keep your speed down and anticipate braking.
    Give yourself plenty of time for your journey...and let the idiots fly past you.

When you realize at the end of your journey that your delicate use of the right foot has done the government out of a bit more fuel tax..you will get a nice warm glow :BigGrin:

barry

• Like Like x 8
  17. Motoberg

Motoberg Read Only Funster

Love it, but more so in Scotland than England, too many cars...
    It's like a switch driving North to Aberdeen once you hit Beattock summit on the M6...it's like ..woah...where's everyone gone :Laughing:

18. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

i remember driving back from france,on a baccy run ,before tomtom was even thought of,and the wife and 2 freinds were sat in the car ,and takeing a wrong turn and ending up going right through the centre of london:Eeek:getting lost,pi**ing down with rain and ending up in london city,and punching out the windscreen from the inside,and trying to explain that to the windscreen fitter the next day:Rofl1:
    our freind's never did go with us again,cant think why:Blush:
    sit me behind a wheel and i turn into a monster:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. buttons

buttons Funster

Enjoy everthing about it, rarely get upset, always very chilled out and my passengers always enjoy the ride too. Camper car love it all. I also do the occasional track day recommended and get a lot of pleasure sliding around wet and slippery skidpans to.:thumb:

20. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I love driving, was a driving instructor back in the sixties and the pleasure has not gone away.
    Always need more concentration in the RV with toad in tow, 50 ft long, especially in and out of filling stations :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1