Driving Licences

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by moandick, Mar 3, 2009.

1. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Just as an aside - and I know no further details than what one of my members has posted on my forum:

Hi all

Not sure if this would be a problem for any member, I was at a VOSA station the other day having a RV MOT'd and was approached by a Traffic Examiner.
    He asked me what licence I was driving the RV on. I explained I have all groups HGV and have held it since 1971 and I ask him why he asked.
    He said that they have had a notification that some RV drivers are driving vehicles over 7.5 tons on car licences and they are going to clamp down.
    Just beware.

Regards
    Nigel

IF it happens and IF someone gets sued - it should end any grey areas for once and all!

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Licencing requirement is outside Vosa's remit so I cant see the connection:Sad:
    It would require a Police officer to ask the question

3. ginge61

ginge61 Read Only Funster

they have a lot more power now and can stop you on the road without a police car or a police officer ask any hgv driver so not sure if they can also ask for licence and normally there is the preverbil bobby about to help out should the need arise so you never know it gives them something else to do and get more money and 7,5 would be the limit pre 97 after that 3.5 t so depends on when test was completed be intresting to see

4. moandick

I hear what you say, Geo but Nigel did say a 'Traffic Examiner.'

I have no idea what or who that is - other than possibly one of these psuedo parking ticket wardens wearing a policemans uniform!

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I wish someone would get nicked and taken to court for this. The resulting case law would sure make forums quieter places:BigGrin: Also, a lot of people would either breathe easier or book themselves in for a test:Smile:

However the CPS will probably chicken out again and it will never get to a court. :RollEyes:

6. Smeagol

Smeagol Read Only Funster

Afraid you are wrong, VOSA have been prosecuting driving licence offences for years.

Mark

7. ginge61

i have full hgv held the last 20 odd years so i dont worry not that mine comes into it but they all ways changing stuff so its something only a lawyer could tell you a jungle traffic examiner norm deal with tachos weighbridges gv9 and all that stuff also think some of them if not all can test too mot that is if you dont hold hgv stick to 7.5 or 3.5 depending on test pass year

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) was created on 1 April 2003 by merging the Former Vehicle Inspectorate and the Traffic Area Network Division of the Department for Transport. VOSA is responsible for:

* Processing applications for licences to operate lorries and buses and registering bus services
    * Operating and administering testing schemes for all vehicles, including the supervision of the MOT testing scheme
    * Enforcing the law on vehicles to ensure that they comply with legal standards and regulations
    * Enforcing drivers' hours and licensing requirements
    * Supporting Traffic Commissioners to help them make informed decisions on operator licensing, vocational drivers and bus registration requirements
    * Providing training and advice for commercial operators
    * Investigating vehicle accident, defects and recalls.

9. Smeagol

Why do some people feel that they have to make derogatory remarks about people?

I was a Traffic Examiner for 13 years, and no I did not wear a uniform, neither did I issue parking tickets!

What I did do was enforce all legislation pertinent to LGV's and PCV's which, incidentally included many successful prosecutions for driving licence offences.

Mark

10. ginge61

thats not derogatory :Rofl1::Rofl1: and id say you had been called more than that if you were doing that job not that its ment personaly but thats the job you choose just like most folks have names for jobs worths like the pcso plastic policemen ohhps person damm this political correctness when are people going to get a life and read what it says MOTORHOME FUN wheeltappers etc etc thats what we used to call you doing your job and parking us up for hours etc with no toilets food etc you wouldnt treet a dog like that but the minestry did and still do ?? its the only job where you get sent to jail for working over lol us and the ladies of the night so if you not doing the job forget about it :Rofl1::Rofl1: and maybe you could find out of one of your buddies still doing it as it may be deemed usefull info to inocent folks trying to enjoy there hobby or lifestyle :Eeek::thumb:

11. Smeagol

Exactly, MOTORHOME FUN, if your idea of fun is to belittle other peoples choice of job then I pity you. I have just realised why it has been nearly six months since I last visited this site.

Goodbye

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ooops...think you hit a nerve, ginge61....:Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Can someone please pick the dummy up off the floor and give it back to Smeagol, he seems to have spat it out

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

For crying out loud, belt up :Eeek::Doh::Wink:

14. ginge61

no one is belittling any one for there choice of job just trying to have fun have you not ever called anyone a name for what they do they say there are two types of lorry drivers lol there are w------s and liers well i could never work out what most classed me as but i dont really care either way plastic policemen traffic vultures the list goes on but who cares ohh by the way the used to stop me in holyhead and speak welsh to each other ministry police etc thought i was a paddy wrong spoke back to them in welsh red faces all round lol :Rofl1::Rofl1: i wasnt a paddy i was a taffy and the names they called me wernet the best :Rofl1::Rofl1: so if thats how you feel tough but it is said with out maliace or contempt but thats the way of the world :cry::cry::Rofl1:

15. ginge61

truth hurts now :Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. Smeagol

Thanks for the constructive contribution

And thanks also for your constructive contribution

Seeing as you still live in the last century I suggest you go back there and learn to spell:Rofl1: (the laughing smiley should make it all ok!!)

17. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

As alway I am prepared to bow to superior knowlege, but as i suspected Vosa's only interest is in the comercial sector as the above highlighted sections would appear to colabirate
    What area of HGV,PCV,LGV or Drivers Hrs does a PLG RV Vehicle fall into, Non as far as I am aware and apart from vehicle safety and MoT compliance what interest are RVs and Private motorist to Vosa and or Traffic commissioners
    Geo

18. ginge61

now is that the best answer you can come up with lol :Rofl1::Rofl1: trying to belittle folks cause they cant spell typical minstry man try to have the last word :Rofl1::Rofl1: but havent got a clue what they are on about :Rofl1: :cry::cry: go out to the universty of life it is out there and its huge just like the net live life it goes on .

19. norsman

norsman Read Only Funster

Licences

Hi,
    We all know the licence requirement. depending on your own personal time of learning to drive or your age you are either restricted to 7.5t or 3.5t. Why is there a discussion, if you don`t hold a licence for the group of vehicle you are driving then you are illegal and as far as i know you have no insurance either.
    I have come across several people driving RV type vehicles clearly over 7.5t on only a car licence. Where is the defence if something goes wrong. Whoever is involved in the same accident will be trying to deal with someone without insurance.
    The people who tow cars behind 7.5t vehicles should also be aware of the need to hold a LGV licence when the tow car is over 750kg.
    Sorry for the rant but some of us have spent a lot of time and money learning and getting experience of LGV`s and for others to think they have a given right to drive anything they like just because it is a pleasure thing is in my mind totaly wrong.
    I drive a 7.5t American A class RV and tow a Mercedes Vito Dualiner taking the weight to around 9t or so, things like this shouldn`t be in untrained hands.
    rant over
    Norsman

20. moandick

Well said, Norseman - however there are some people, very learned and full of legal knowledge, who can tell you of some very convincing reasons why it is possible to drive a heavy vehicle on a car licence.

These arguments have been gone over and over ad nauseum - in great detail and nobody has yet been able to disprove them for once and all.

EVERYBODY (in the RV business) AGREES THAT IT ACTUALLY NEEDS A COURT CASE to prove or disprove which licence is needed to drive an RV - or whether you forget the type of vehicle (RV, HGV, PSV) and simply register it by weight (under or over 7½ tons) - which is what VOSA is trying to do.

As far as I am concerned - the sooner that court case takes place, the better.