Driving licences post 2012

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by olley, Nov 14, 2007.

1. olley

olley Funster

Hi don't know if this has been mentioned but from 2012 all granfather rights licences will revert to 3.5 tonnes, unless you have passed a full HGV medical.

From outandabout:
    The inplementation of the new rules is to happen in January 2012. There are various changes to current rules (some simplification to and extension of the trailer rules, for example), but the key one is that, to retain C1, C1E, D1, D1E, then you will have to pass the same test as HGV drivers. This is exactly the same as is currently the case for those reaching 70 - it justs extends it lower down the age band. And the test has to be repeated at 5 year intervals.

It is not yet clear how it will be implemented, but presumably, to avoid a rush to the Doctor's, it will be phased in. It will apply right across the EU. If you want a copy of the EU Directive, let me know and I'll dig out the reference. A body under the auspices of the CCPR is already lobbying (as it did over the original EU Directive) with the DforT over implementation and includes the Caravan Club, Caravan Council, RYA and the main body for 'horse' people (sorry - can't remember the name) as all are affected by these changes.

However, all that can now be done is to influence implementation details. This is already EU Law and must be implemented in Member Countrys' Law by 2012.

Olley

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Olley, when you say "test" do you mean "medical examination" or driving test?

Your post reads like my C licence will be taken from me in 2012 because I got it via Grandfather rights. That cant be right, can it?

3. olley

olley Funster

Hi jim you can only get a C1 with grandfather rights, not a C, you got a C because you passed a test in the Army.

From 2012 anybody wishing to retain there rights to a C1 will need to take a full HGV medical. this is apparently European law and must be implemented.

Sorry I could have worded my first post better. Have now changed it.

Olley

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

OK, I see now, the C1 is the licence for those >3.5 and <7.5 T

It seems that it will hit a lot of drivers, all those tag axles especially and as you say, all those horsey types that slow us up on a weekend.:Smile:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

More EU bull***T :Angry:... looks like 2011 will be a good time to buy, lots of RVs for sale.. :RollEyes:

6. olley

olley Funster

hi Jim while I agree about eu bulls**te, I think the medical is a good idea.

Olley

7. Keith and Debs

Keith and Debs Read Only Funster

hi All

Sorry for being a bit dim but i dont fully understand what is meant by "grandfather rights"

I have had C1 on my licence ever since i passed my driving test in the 80's..... Will this affect me ????

Ta

Keith...

8. GeorgeTelford

GeorgeTelford Deleted User

Of course, if a motorhome remains (as I believe) in the heavy motorcar class, then it will have no bearing (as I believe it does, being as it cannot be classed as an HGV....) No further discussion of this point is needed here as it is dealt with elsewhere....

9. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

To answer your question Keith, yes, it will affect you (and me and God knows how many million others :RollEyes: ).

10. olley

olley Funster

hi anybody who passed their car test before Jan 1997 can drive up to 7.5 tonnes, this is known as "Grandfather Rights". Pass your test after that and its 3.5tonnes.

At the moment to retain these rights you wouldn't need to bother about a medical untill your 70, but from 2012 you will need to have one every 5 years, the same as any HGV driver. After 70 its every year I believe.

Olley

11. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    we were in our doctors last week and a guy paid £85 for a HGV medical, is this the price? or did it include a back hander? Who is going to pocket this money???
    Nigel & Pamala

12. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

I think you will find that this money goes directly into the doctors pocket. My mate keeps his HGV alive by taking medicals when required. It is classified as a private consultation, He usually pays £50, as there is no set charge doctors can charge whatever they like.

13. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Medical

Well, I am ok jack as the saying goes as I have a LGV1 (all classes):Rofl1:
    Regarding the medical price, it varies according to your Doctor as he sets the fee. At my Doctors it is £125 so I go to another Doctor for this medical.
    To drive LGV a medical is required every 5 years (on renewal) after you reach the age of 45 and after 65 years of age I believe it is yearly:Eeek:
    I still believe that everyone that drives a large RV should hold a LGV licence as proof of competency!:Rofl1:

14. martyn

martyn Read Only Funster

The last time i had a medical for my H.G.V. renewal it cost me £80.That was three years ago,bet the Medical profession are rubbing their hands together. :Angry:

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Whilst I agree with the sentiments of this statement, Iv'e seen a few, no many LGV drivers who have passed the test and should have the licence revoked
    I am contemplating taking the test very soon and am practising the theory test and hazard perception tests and have come to the conclusion already, these test have little to do with ability to drive, they are little more than a script learning exersise:Eek!:
    Geo

16. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Am I to understand a Romanian licence for instance is equal to a UK one?

Corruption in these countries is rife.

17. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: I vud haf yu know mine licensing is as gud as eny. :Rofl1:

18. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Good and Bad (and even ugly)

Geo, there are good and bad in all walks of life and every profession!:Wink:
    I just think that it shows that at the time that the test was taken, that it proved at that time that the person was competent!:thumb:
    Today, I ,in my LGV with trailer was filtering onto a main dual carriageway behind a 4 wheel drive. The main road was running at about 50mph and I would have had no problem building my speed up to 50mph, BUT the idiot in front of my truck, kept my speed down to 25 mph and he pulled straight out at that speed!!:Angry:
    What a prat!!!!:Laughing::Angry:

19. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Be an ebay special:Laughing::Rofl1::Rofl1:

20. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Sore point

Nopw that is a very sore point!!!!
    Also the Polish:Rofl1::cry::Rofl1::cry: