Driving Licence

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by tony_g, Nov 9, 2010.

1. tony_g

tony_g Funster

My current licence is a pink'un dating from 1976 - the last time i changed address.
    It gives me categories A and E only. I think categories must have changed since then because 'A' is any vehicle except Groups D, E, G, H and J: i.e. motorbikes, mopeds, roadrollers, invalid carriages, tracked vehicles. Group E is moped. So far, so good. By elimination, I can drive anything else which does not require a separate licence, like HGV's and PSV's.

However, I am thinking of getting my licence changed to a credit card style picture one. I am comfortably short of 70 so the need to update the picture in 10 years is not a problem. I have a concern, though. Does anyone know if the DVLA will re-issue the licence with the current categories and could I lose my entitlement to drive a MH (3500kg)?

Tony_g

2. zaskar

zaskar Funster

They shouldn't but they might! They certainly tried it with a few people re the 6500kg catagory a while back and the advice to me when it came my time to get the new license was to include a covering letter that you expect to retain your rights to the relevant catagories to which you are entitled by your previous license. In my case i also stated WHY i wanted retention of those rights, which in my case was that i drove an american RV at 7.5 tonne.

3. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

my hubby lost his motorbike entitlement and they only keep records for 3 years so if you think something is missing off your licence make sure you write to the dvla straight away, dont just presume its covered by another category.

He will now have to retake everything at our expense.

And for anyone who hasnt already sent off their licence, remember to photocopy it before you send it just in case it gets lost.

good luck

4. robnchris

robnchris Funster

I never understood the advantage of having a credit card type of licence which only last 10yrs when you also have to have the old paper type of licence.:Doh:

5. zaskar

zaskar Funster

That's easy! Its so the b*ggers can get more brass out of you!:Angry:

6. tony_g

tony_g Funster

Photo licence

In some countries it makes life easier to have photo id. I've resisted getting a new licence for years but I'll have to get one when I'm 70 in 8 years time, anyway.

7. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

8. tony_g

tony_g Funster

Thanks Pablomc

Many thanks, that is exactly the info I needed. I tried navigating around the DVLC site but managed to miss this. Well spotted!
    tony_g

9. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

Take a photocopy of the old license before sending it off. The DVLA are notoriously reluctant to rectofy their errors.

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Blimey !! That is a NEW one compared to the one I have..

I have one of the green ones issued in 1972 mine.................

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the licence last until age 70 but the photo expires every 10 years.
    mine expired on 18/10/2010 and still ain't got round to renewing it :Blush:

the reason for a card licence.....because resistance if futile and we will be assimilated into the greater European collective.

plus it makes the gov a fair few £million each year with £20 a time renewal fee's

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i had one of those and it had bus entitlement on it :Angry:...not for hire or reward of course :Wink:

13. JJ

JJ Funster

For what it is worth, I have found the photo ID useful in Portugal as I don't have to carry a passport with me...

JJ :Cool:

14. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

I read that if we want to keep our 7500kg entitlement existing licence holders will have to take a course over the next 2 years or so, the total course time was around 18 hours I think, has anyone else heard of this.

15. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

I think you are probably refering to the CPC which all vocational drivers of vehicles 7.5 tonne and above will need to continue to earn a living by driving - there is no current requirement for people to take CPC for recreational driving. IMHO this was just another Labour government scheme to create money and jobs - there are 5 modules to the CPC and you do not have to take all 5 - you can take the same module every year and still complete the course - also you do not need to do a module every year - you can do it all at once - the other point is that people who currently hold the original CPC required to hold a position as Transport Manager which is a far more complicated and involved course still has to take this basic CPC.:Eeek:

16. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

you need sometimes to get heavy with them

A while back they tried to remove my motorbike licence when they re did my licence.. had a real tussle, but in the end they put it back, same as my licence was taken on a normal car not an automatic and they also changed that to automatic until we did some battle and they put the licence right..got £25 compensation from them as well.

You have to be prepared to fight for your rights or they will try and walk all over you.

Bob:Blush: