Driving licence

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by robrace, Feb 16, 2016.

1. robrace

robrace Funster

My sister in law who is 75 and a reasonable driver is very upset to receive a letter from the DVLA saying that a "third party"has contacted them questioning her driving abilities!They are saying they will revoke her licence unless she gets the enclosed forms completed by her Doctor.She has to arrange a medical and I presume pay for it.She has contacted the Licence office who refuse to divulge who has contacted them.The whole family and her friends are all under suspssicion! Her licence is not up for renewal for 11 months and I find it incredible that the .D.V.L.A appear to be acting on some type of tittle tattle!!Her Doctor says it's not them!As do everyone else she has asked.She is not bothered about having a medical but is upset and annoyed about it.Anyone else had a similer letter??

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

There are some tw@ts out there.

If she is confident of passing the medical then go for it and prove the doubter wrong.
    If she isnt so sure then maybe it is time to stop driving.
    I doubt you will ever find out who the 'reporter' is....could even be a neighbour or a close, and concerned, friend...but whoever it is isnt going to hold up their hand voluntarily.

3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Frightening that "big brother dvla" will act on the word of another individual presumably without knowing whether a malicious act or not, or indeed is qualified to judge whether a person is a safe driver or not.
    Never heard of this happening before :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

It is probably the Police for some reason. maybe stopped for some reason and they have queried her competence.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Playing Devil's Advocate for a minute, it's a good thing (sometimes) that we are able to report dangerous drivers.

Hope it works out OK for you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

There must be a time to realise that driving is not a safe option but when is it ? in Liverpool in the last week an old lady 80 years old ran into 8 schoolgirls who were on the pavement having just left school for half term break luckily nobody was killed but some had broken hips legs and arms

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

:(There must be a time to realise that driving is not a safe option but when is it ? in Liverpool in the last week an old lady 80 years old ran into 8 schoolgirls who were on the pavement having just left school for half term break luckily nobody was killed but some had broken hips legs and arms :(:(:(:(

8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

You can't tittle tattle tale tell if there are no tales to tell. .. I suppose you could just make it up.
    My money too is on the Police being the informant.
    Let's hope she passes the medical with flying colours. Of course ..if she doesn't then someone's life may have been saved.

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hi Rob, whilst I can totally empathise with your sister and I sincerely hope the medical/competence test is not a problem so she can still keep her licence, I need to ask how long is it since you've been with her when she's been driving?

She may be totally okay, but my suggestion is to take the opportunity to go somewhere in her car and observe for yourself how she drives ... it may avoid further upset IF you feel that something's amiss and agree that she should not drive any more as she'll probably take being told better from you than anyone else and then she can voluntarily give up her licence - difficult, yes, but better than having the licence forcibly removed by the DVLA.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I'm not saying this is the case for your relative BUT

If a relative has asked someone to stop driving because they feel it's time to do so and the plea repeatedly falls on deaf ears then it may be the only thing available to get a dangerous driver off the road.

When my relative was reported the medical wasn't very onerous, was completed by the practice nurse and signed off by the GP who didn't even see my relative. The family were fuming as he shouldn't be driving but we have nowhere else to go. A neighbour he doesn't like got the blame for the report :whistle: - and he is still driving. (n)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

In which case do what they do sometimes for family matters in the USA ... have an 'intervention' with several family members and tell him straight! Allowing someone to drive who you KNOW should not is just condoning it. I'd also be tempted to report the doctor's practice to the DVLA for not doing the test correctly - if they've done it once, they've done it many times before so how may other 'dangerous' drivers have they left on the road?????

12. Treeeev

Treeeev Funster

This doesn't always work unfortunately. After my father had a stroke, the family all realised that his reaction times were far too slow and would be dangerous if he was to drive again. We (myself and my 4 brothers) all told him that he shouldn't be driving, but he wouldn't take any notice of us. We resolved it by initially hiding his keys, then had his car (it wasn't worth much) taken to a local firestation (where one of my brothers was station officer), for "practice" :D.

I think that whilst he had the car, there was the temptation for him to drive it, but once it was gone, he never mentioned driving again. It was a rather drastic step, but it worked for us. (y)

Not knowing the OP's family member and their capabilities, I can't provide any guidance, apart from they will need to do what they feel comfortable with

Cheers

Trevor

• Like Like x 4
  13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Sorry but the opening remark shows a lack of how the real world now works.
    An ex neighbour was reported for child abuse.
    He lost his job, was ostracised from a social club he had been a member of for many years and was abused in the street.
    He always denied it as did all his family members.
    It eventually came out it was down to aa anonymous letter sent to the police saying the person who sent it SUSPECTED there was a issue.
    It was all completely groundless, the originator was found out but was never prosecuted or even offered an apology.

People can be very malicious.. And the way today's powers that be work need zero proof or grounds to act before ruining others lives

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
  14. Gooney

Gooney Funster

We have a scheme here run and funded by North Wales Police and Flintshire Council, any one over 60 can apply for and take a driving assessment, it is an advisory course and results do not affect your licence, both me and my wife took the test and found it very reassuring (in my case I had a compulsory test pending because of medical grounds) incidentally both of us got advised we were not looking over our right shoulders enough when pulling out to overtake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

[QUOTE=") incidentally both of us got advised we were not looking over our right shoulders enough when pulling out to overtake.[/QUOTE]

Known to motorcyclists as "The life saver"

• Like Like x 3
  16. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

If you are driving a car or van etc why would you look over your right shoulder when overtaking?

• Like Like x 1
  17. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

To look into the blind spot that your mirrors can't see into.
    That way you can see if there is any other traffic alongside you or overtaking you.
    That is why it is known as the life saver.
    It is taught by instructors when you are learning to drive, but like a lot of other things that are taught, it is forgotten as soon as the test is passed.

Nothing personal, just an explanation. (y)

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

If you have a blind spot in the drivers (offside) mirror then I suggest you get it changed. I can understand Motorcyclists and Cyclists doing it but not in a vehicle.
    A glance to the right will tell you if anyone is alongside you, but IMO to physically turn your head to look back over your right shoulder, is not only unnecessary but also dangerous. If the vehicle you are about to overtake, makes any unexpected manoeuvre, while you are busy looking over your shoulder, you are in trouble.
    In any case you will have checked your mirrors long before indicating and starting your overtaking manoeuvre.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  19. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

There have been too many incidents in the past year where "older" drivers have lost control or had poor reactions causing injuries - culminating in the shocking accident in Liverpool last week.

I am sure that driver thought she was perfectly safe too!

Even if your sister is a wonderful driver - it can't hurt to follow procedure, after all if she is a good driver she has nothing to worry about.

I actually think we all (regardles of age) should have to take a refresher course every 10 years. A car is a very heavy and dangerous weapon if used incorrectly!

• Like Like x 5
  20. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

The life saver is in fact being aware to what's going on around you at all times and using your mirrors correctly in order to know what's behind or to the side of you . I can't believe people are being taught to .. in effect.. look backwards.

• Like Like x 1