MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
In Spain you must carry photographic I.D at all times , a new style photo Uk driving licence is sufficient otherwise you will be required to carry your passport at all times .
Failure to do so is a fine .
Why the reluctance to change your licence ?

Thanks for your comment
Not sure if we're are reluctant to change our licence it's just something we have never done !

Last edited:
OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
If your paper one is a Pink EU one, or a Pink & Green EU your are OK, the old Green one that does not have EU on it is a bit of a grey area, Spain & Italy and a few other counties may require an International Driving License as well if you only have the Green one.

Thanks
Ours are the Pimk ones

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Hi
I have scanned passports, EHics, driving licences(both parts), NHS certificates, log books, insurance certificates and MOT certificates and uploaded to cloud.
Also scan any holiday docs when available.
Now accessible anywhere I can get a signal.

I also do this !
So everything is with us at all times

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
If you apply for a new licence on line, for Gods sake don't destroy your old paper licence, as they instruct you to do! I know a few bikers who passed their tests years ago, having the right to ride a motorcycle 'lost', because they claim you never ever had a full bike licence! Without the proof of your old paper licence, your scuppered. :(:(

Good Advise Thanks

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Many Thanks for all your comments
It's been interesting too read all your comments
It looks like we should still be ok as long as we carry photo ID
So going to have a natter and decided if we stay as we are or change for ease of carrying them

Cheers

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I also do this !
So everything is with us at all times

I think I read on this Forum that someone scanned his documents then sent them to himself as an email with the documents as attachments. Then if he was robbed or they were lost he would at least have some form of ducumentation.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
If you apply for a new licence on line, for Gods sake don't destroy your old paper licence, as they instruct you to do! I know a few bikers who passed their tests years ago, having the right to ride a motorcycle 'lost', because they claim you never ever had a full bike licence! Without the proof of your old paper licence, your scuppered. :(:(

NEVER trust DVLA to get anything right send everything recorded photocopy all before sending then check with a fine tooth comb when it gets back, I rode a motorcycle for 12 years without a licence (not Knowingly) due to going from the red book to the first computerised licence and they didn't put the entitlement on, I was lucky when I was stopped and produced my licence to the policeman, you can imagine the argument I had when he told me I didn't have a licence for 1,000cc motorcycle, he didn't nick me as he along with me and he said 70,000 others had the same problem, I now deal with DVLA on a daily basis and I can assure you they are not fit for purpose, trust them at your own peril.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Happend to me in 1998 when I became a born again biker at some point on a licence renew my motorcycle entitlement disappeared
Had to redo my test as I could not prove I had one I passed my bike test in 1969
But they said they could not trace records back that far
Tossers cost me about £700 quid
Now to be fair it was the best thing that happened as I thought I could ride a bike and I quickly found out I could not ride half as well as I thought I learnt so much 4 half day lessons on a cb 500 and then passed my test first time
I took my IAM coarse and test five years ago, learnt a lot about 'modern' biking. 60's riding on inferior tyres for instance, kept you on the centre line, not good these days. Modern tyres let you go into curves at speed with confidence, something invaluable the coarse taught me. Highly recommended. (y)(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Dunno, but im sure they were black at one point.....maybe that was the HGV licence.
My provisional was beigie brown card the real one later was Red covered bookletand the HGV was brown. My PPL was paper then Brown fancy Cover, My CPL was Blue hard covered and the ATPL was Green. A load if various licences in a multitude of colours.
My passport Was Black and looked really posh unlike the paperish covers now.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
the old paper licence is still acceptable in any EU country it is after all the "European model" licence.

Do not confuse this with the "counterpart" to the current plastic card licence. This is still valid but will be abolished in June of this year - it was to be earlier but the processes were not completely in place to allow car hire firms and others to check endorsement history so the January date was postponed until June.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

Bloody good point Dave, thats exactly what happened to me, and when i came to renew ( not having realised ) DVLA didnt want to know, there wonderful solution was . . . .please send us A. The original pass certificate ! . . . . . B. The original redcardboard licence !!! WTF ?????

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
£14 John .. and free if over 70 or have a medical short period licence.. most on here will never need to pay again.. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
I wonder what they added the £6 to to get it back.

I renewed mine last year, or maybe 2 years ago, and the fee was definately £20 then as i had to buy a postal order @ £22.50 ...cheques are so yesterday and i havent had a cheque book for near on 20 years.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wonder what they added the £6 to to get it back.

I renewed mine last year, or maybe 2 years ago, and the fee was definately £20 then as i had to buy a postal order @ £22.50 ...cheques are so yesterday and i havent had a cheque book for near on 20 years.

maybe it's been reduced since you renewed.. ?

cheque book
.. I still have and use quite regularly, . ideal for paying for school expenses, like trips etc and for Cadet camps.. .. much safer than cash, and it acts as a receipt.

always keep a couple in the wallet, handy for emergencies and CL sites that don't have a card system..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have my Grandma's original license, must dig them out and check the dates. She had to renew them every three months I think :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you change a paper licence to a photo card there is a £20 fee

If you change a paper licence to a photo card AND change your address there is no fee..

The way DVSA work is a complete mystery.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-fees

that explains your £20 fee .. that was your first photo card license.. not a renewal..
and correct, there is no fee for change of address, I've had three changes in the past 8 years

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have my Grandma's original license, must dig them out and check the dates. She had to renew them every three months I think :)
Red Book type licence........3 years.

All done by hand with paper records and they coped quite well.
today its all computerised and they cant get it right half the time

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Red Book type licence........3 years.

All done by hand with paper records and they coped quite well.
today its all computerised and they cant get it right half the time

You made me check.... there is a buff one and a red one.

The buff one was renewed every three months and starts in May 1953, the red one every three years and starts in 1964. I also found her National Hospital Service Records and all sorts of other stuff when we cleared the house. She was licensed to drive all sorts of stuff including ambulances and tractors, I think. The ambulances because there is mention of it in a commendation and she drove a tractor on the farm (maybe she wasn't actually allowed to drive that on the road, I don't know).

The buff licence says she is licensed to drive motor vehicles of group(s) ALL GROUPS, and there is a test pass certificate for groups A,B and C.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
NEVER trust DVLA to get anything right send everything recorded photocopy all before sending then check with a fine tooth comb when it gets back, I rode a motorcycle for 12 years without a licence (not Knowingly) due to going from the red book to the first computerised licence and they didn't put the entitlement on, I was lucky when I was stopped and produced my licence to the policeman, you can imagine the argument I had when he told me I didn't have a licence for 1,000cc motorcycle, he didn't nick me as he along with me and he said 70,000 others had the same problem, I now deal with DVLA on a daily basis and I can assure you they are not fit for purpose, trust them at your own peril.

Yup I was one of those that didn't get his M/C entitlement when I changed I recall I had one for motor car nd another for M/C
Traveling East along the A13 when a M/C cop stopped me and gave me a producer but what he really wanted was to have a good look at the Honda 500/4 I was riding. Chatted for a while then rode his Triumph Saint whilst he rode my Honda and yes I did switch the B's & 2's on. Because the Craven Pannier Side Boxes were full of kit often causing the Saint into a terrifying tank slapper at around 90mph

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We used to have a Volvo T5. For a while we wondered why police used to wave us through check points and salute, then found out it had been the Chief Constable's car :) Lovely motor but cost a small fortune to insure.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Yup I was one of those that didn't get his M/C entitlement when I changed I recall I had one for motor car nd another for M/C
Traveling East along the A13 when a M/C cop stopped me and gave me a producer but what he really wanted was to have a good look at the Honda 500/4 I was riding. Chatted for a while then rode his Triumph Saint whilst he rode my Honda and yes I did switch the B's & 2's on. Because the Craven Pannier Side Boxes were full of kit often causing the Saint into a terrifying tank slapper at around 90mph

The police Motorcycles all used to run out of a police station behind my garage, when they came back from servicing they used to come round to the garage and say make this run properly Rick, I road tested from BSA through to BMW's over the years, those days I could do no wrong on Leicester roads :) how times have changed :ROFLMAO: two weeks ago I went to the funeral of one of the best known cop motorcyclists in Leicester at the age of 78 and still riding baddies hated him, but he had a heart of gold fostering over 40kids during his life, don't seem to breed em like that anymore.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back