Driving Licence Renewal

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Ifor, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Ifor

Ifor Read Only Funster

My driving licence expires next February and I will need another medical to retain my C1 category.

But, and here's the problem, I would normally be away in southern Europe at that time of year. I have checked with DVLA and I cannot renew my licence prior to 90 days before renewal. That's early December and I will be touring in Europe then.

My motorhome insurance is void if I don't have a current, valid licence.

So, do I really have to come home from Portugal just to have a medical and renew my licence?
    Anyone else in a similar situation and can anyone recommend a better way!

2. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Options are

1. Fly back and wait for the new licence, or arrange for someone to post it on.

2. Delay your departure.

Not ideal, but that agency "are not for turning"

3. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Mmm!!!! has been known to take months if they think theres a problem

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

a mate of mine flew back home for a couple of days leaving the van and his mrs down south in the sun. the renewed licence was delivered to his home address some time later

all you need is cheap flights and a lift to and from the airport etc

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

all well and good BUT...there's no guarantee your C1 entitlement will be renewed, if DVLA say no then you're stuffed.

7. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

At the top of page 4 of the booklet linked earlier it says you can have the medical in the UK or any other EU country.

You could order the medical pack and take it with you and get an EU doctor to complete it whilst away then post it back.

Hope this helps.

I enquired about getting the medical done 2 years early to re start the 5 year clock to let me go travelling without having to come back for a medical. However, the DVLA were totally inflexible and said that 3 months early was the most you can do.

What i dont know is if you let tge medical lapse can you just get one later and have the catagory reinstated or do you lose your entitlement and have to take a full re test later

Neil

8. lee52

lee52 Funster

Ive just got my renewal through as well and I need to get my medical to keep my C1+E sick of medicals I have them at work I have one for the plant fitting one for my FLT licence and one for my Plant AT truck licence and now I need one to keep my C1+E licence

9. lee52

lee52 Funster

if you lose it they wont put it back on you will have to take the driving test again, I was a motorcycle instructor for 12 years and we came across simular things on a monthlly basis one was a traffic cop changed his address on his licence when they sent it back they had taken his motorcycle cat of and they would not ut it back on even though he had his chief of police comfirm his licence status etc... the onlly way they can do it if you have the orig licence,
    on the other hand we had a lad only had a prov licence passed his bike test sent of licence and it came back with B+E, D+E, C+E plus his bike cat A
    so he passed on a bike and ended up with nearly a full entitlement licence crazy