Driving Licence Renewal (1 Viewer)

Nov 1, 2011
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
since August 2012
My driving licence expires next February and I will need another medical to retain my C1 category.

But, and here's the problem, I would normally be away in southern Europe at that time of year. I have checked with DVLA and I cannot renew my licence prior to 90 days before renewal. That's early December and I will be touring in Europe then.

My motorhome insurance is void if I don't have a current, valid licence.

So, do I really have to come home from Portugal just to have a medical and renew my licence?
Anyone else in a similar situation and can anyone recommend a better way!

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Options are

1. Fly back and wait for the new licence, or arrange for someone to post it on.

2. Delay your departure.

Not ideal, but that agency "are not for turning"

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I just checked - and your medical will be valid for 4 months - so that gives you a bit longer! I guess you could get the medical done before you go away - then deal with the renewal online or by post from wherever you are!:thumb:

See here - page 3
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a mate of mine flew back home for a couple of days leaving the van and his mrs down south in the sun. the renewed licence was delivered to his home address some time later

all you need is cheap flights and a lift to and from the airport etc

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a mate of mine flew back home for a couple of days leaving the van and his mrs down south in the sun. the renewed licence was delivered to his home address some time later

all you need is cheap flights and a lift to and from the airport etc

all well and good BUT...there's no guarantee your C1 entitlement will be renewed, if DVLA say no then you're stuffed.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
At the top of page 4 of the booklet linked earlier it says you can have the medical in the UK or any other EU country.

You could order the medical pack and take it with you and get an EU doctor to complete it whilst away then post it back.

Hope this helps.

I enquired about getting the medical done 2 years early to re start the 5 year clock to let me go travelling without having to come back for a medical. However, the DVLA were totally inflexible and said that 3 months early was the most you can do.

What i dont know is if you let tge medical lapse can you just get one later and have the catagory reinstated or do you lose your entitlement and have to take a full re test later

Neil

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Ive just got my renewal through as well and I need to get my medical to keep my C1+E sick of medicals I have them at work I have one for the plant fitting one for my FLT licence and one for my Plant AT truck licence and now I need one to keep my C1+E licence

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
At the top of page 4 of the booklet linked earlier it says you can have the medical in the UK or any other EU country.

You could order the medical pack and take it with you and get an EU doctor to complete it whilst away then post it back.

Hope this helps.

I enquired about getting the medical done 2 years early to re start the 5 year clock to let me go travelling without having to come back for a medical. However, the DVLA were totally inflexible and said that 3 months early was the most you can do.

[HI]What i dont know is if you let tge medical lapse can you just get one later and have the catagory reinstated or do you lose your entitlement and have to take a full re test later[/HI]

Neil

if you lose it they wont put it back on you will have to take the driving test again, I was a motorcycle instructor for 12 years and we came across simular things on a monthlly basis one was a traffic cop changed his address on his licence when they sent it back they had taken his motorcycle cat of and they would not ut it back on even though he had his chief of police comfirm his licence status etc... the onlly way they can do it if you have the orig licence,
on the other hand we had a lad only had a prov licence passed his bike test sent of licence and it came back with B+E, D+E, C+E plus his bike cat A
so he passed on a bike and ended up with nearly a full entitlement licence crazy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back