Driving Licence renewal at 70 (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
In the middle of next March I reach 70. To retain my grandfather rights I must fill the appropriate forms and have an eye and medical check. I know how it is done as SWMBO did it not so long ago. The difficulty I have it that I can only apply up to 90 days in advance and we plan to set off for Spain in November 2015 returning just before my birthday in March 2016. So just how late can I leave it to apply? Would one week for my birthday be okay? Any thoughts?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
For a definitive answer you should contact the DVLA. Bear in mind if your medical details are not perfect inthe eyes of DVLA your application will take months, mine was 4 months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
IF you start your application, You can continue to drive under your current regime UNTIL the DVLA say Not!. Either that or have the paperwork all done and get someone to post it within the 90 days?.

I had a similar issue, except that I needed my licence to go to the USA. Even though I have a Texas Licence. So I just did the quick B+1 renewal. and I let it slide until my return, had the medical then. America does not ask for medical`s at a statutory age they are not as STUPID as we are over age, and in fact have a better respect for "seniors" all round!, and I was driving 9tonne.

The UK / Europe is really stupid over licensing. Making otherwise fit people take (and pay for) a medical JUST because they have reached 70, for what?. A 3.5t vehicle will cause as much grief as (say) 5t which is a much more practical cut-off, considering that very few "coach-builds" have any decent payload under 3.5t. Another forgotten point is that within a few years the Pension will not start before 70, and the way our "lords and masters" think, will go even higher, so it is conceivable that without a medical (and it`s associated costs) people will be out of a Job!. Some people are a menace on the road who have never had a medical and are well below retirement age!.

(good rant that, I think I feel better, Breakfast?)

Pete

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@PeteH . I would like to do as you suggest with the paperwork but as I understand it the medical has to be completed within the 90 day period. Makes sense really but it is a pain. Otherwise Pete a nice rant, hope you enjoyed your breakfast ;).

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I have discussed this with DVLA and asked two questions.

Q1. Can I renew my licence, keeping my grand father rights, early, i.e. prior to 90 days before my birthday? The answer was:

Yes, complete both forms and have the medical, send it all to DVLA with a covering letter explaining why and all should be okay.

Q2. If I complete the application, etc. and get it to them immediately prior to my birthday will my licence stay valid until they make their decision? The answer was:

Probably not. DVLA only consider they have received an application when it has been scanned on to their system. They receive upwards of 80,000 pieces of mail per day and it can take days, weeks, months even, for the post room to open and for the scanning to be completed. If my licence was to expire whilst my application was in the DVLA post room / scanning room limbo, it would lapse and I would not be able to drive anything.

Q2.1 Should I use registered post?

Pointless, but you can if you wish. In any event it makes no difference, we have not received your application until the post room has opened it and it has been scanned on to the system.

They seem to be a law unto themselves :banghead: :swear:.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Hi Dorset Diver,

Snap. I reach 70 in March 2017 and will be setting off for Spain at the beginning of November 2016, too.

I received the same verbal advice from DVLA as you did - apply in advance with a covering letter explaining the circumstances and hope that the licence comes back with C1/D1 etc category entitlements by November 2016. They won't say what the turn round time will be so I have to make a stab in the dark. My plan had been to send off the application (signed by a doctor) by the end of August 2016, to allow a clear 8 weeks for turn around before setting off for Spain. I'll need to book the Tunnel as it's the most flexible crossing to re schedule if I have to re-schedule because of a DVLA delay.

I understand that the new licence will be dated from the time of issue, that is, not on my March 2017 birthday, but I can live with that. I also understand that I can continue to drive the over-3.5ton van in the UK whilst my licence is being re-issued but that this would not be acceptable in Europe.

I had intended to use one of the licence renewal agencies (DoctorsOnWheels) to complete the forms as I have no history of any of the illnesses covered by the form D4 and it should be a paper exercise only. I have had a sight test and will provide the prescription to the agency doctor to make his job easier. Those agencies also have a lot of experience in filling out the forms and my own GP hasn't done a renewal at 70 case before. I wouldn't want it to fail because of a missing tick or signature.

If anyone out there has used such an agency in the past it would be help to learn of their experience. It would also be interesting to hear how you intend to proceed.

Norman

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Norman, I hope yours works out well. I will probably have to do the same; I will though use our GP. My wife did so last year and it was three times the price of an agency but he had all of her records to hand and was able to print / photocopy evidence to send in with the application making life easier and pre-empting any questions / delays. Hers was turned around in about four weeks, but don't count on it.

Incidentally the law is that a letter posted first class is considered to have been delivered as it drops through the letter box you use. How the hell do DVLA get away with making their own rules? :madder:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Agency doctors may well fill the forms correctly but the DVLA have taken to writing to GPs for confirmation of all the points they want to check even if it is all correct. The agency doctor has no records and they have to go on what you say and that MIGHT not be wholly true so they may well check back.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Is the DVLA "Fit" for ANYTHING?. Latest:- My "Toad" ran out of tax and MOT end of June. I could have gone the "do it earlier route". But decided that as I NEEDED it up to the "Death". I would Just SORN it on the 30th whilst I got a new MOT. On the 3rd I got new MOT. HOWEVER. When I tried to tax it on-line it would not accept the input. After multiple tries and checking that the MOT had been registered (yes OK). I called the DVLA. "Oh yes sir. IF it has been SORN`d NO ONE, not even us, can process it on the web for the 5 days that it takes to UPDATE!!. You will need to go to a Post office and use your V5". No advice ANYWHERE on the web that this is an issue!!. So next question, The only way I can get to a post office IS TO USE THE CAR. Answer, despite the fact that the Tax is retrospective to the first of the Month, "That would be ILLEGAL sir, as it is not taxed". Doh!! how stupid can they get?. I think they actually look for those with no Brains!

Pete

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Well, excellent service from the DVLA!

My application for issue of my C1 driving licence at 70, (6 months in advance of my 70th birthday because we would be overwintering at my 70th), was returned for resolution of a query after a week and the licence finally issued 20 days after the original application.

If I hadn't made an error on the original form I believe it would have only taken a fortnight. The month of application was September 2016 - maybe a busy month for DVLA as business picks up after the school holidays?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Did my "C" licence renewal a couple of months ago, used an agency doctor, took 5 days for DVLA to return new licence, another poster on RVOC had the same, excellent service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back